Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I'm intending to study LLB Law at university and am planning to make my five choices over half term. I've researched most of them but am still finding it so difficult to pick! If anyone has any pros and cons or any experiences with any of them to help guide me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

I'm predicted AAA, but I'm hoping I might be able to get A*AA if I put the work in.

The unis I'm interested in are:

UCL (A*AA)
    KCL (A*AA)
    Nottingham (AAA)
    Leeds (AAA)
    Newcastle (AAA)
    Exeter (AAA/AAB)
    East Anglia (AAA)
    Liverpool (ABB)

Thanks
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arisapo)
    Hi all,

I'm intending to study LLB Law at university and am planning to make my five choices over half term. I've researched most of them but am still finding it so difficult to pick! If anyone has any pros and cons or any experiences with any of them to help guide me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

I'm predicted AAA, but I'm hoping I might be able to get A*AA if I put the work in.

UCL (A*AA)
    KCL (A*AA)
    Nottingham (AAA)
    Leeds (AAA)
    Newcastle (AAA)
    Exeter (AAA/AAB)
    East Anglia (AAA)
    Liverpool (ABB)

Thanks
    Try to pick universities that Centre around your predicted grades, so if AAA is your predicted, pick one over, 2/3 bang on, and 1/2 just under. Also depends on getting a feel to the place during an open day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExoIceCream99)
    Try to pick universities that Centre around your predicted grades, so if AAA is your predicted, pick one over, 2/3 bang on, and 1/2 just under. Also depends on getting a feel to the place during an open day.
    That's what I'm intending to do. I think UCL is a definite as my just over at A*AA, while Liverpool is likely to be my below one at ABB. Any advice on which three to pick for my AAAs?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's what I'm intending to do. I think UCL is a definite as my just over at A*AA, while Liverpool is likely to be my below one at ABB. Any advice on which three to pick for my AAAs?
    Have you sat your LNAT ? Nottingham and UCL require it.

It all depends on what you like. I thought Surrey was going to be not as good as some unis for law but when I looked around it was the best and had the best work experience opportunities. They are all excellent universities you have on there. Look at the specific course modules and choices for year 3 and that might make the decision easier.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Although I absoutley 110% recommend Newcastle. I went to their university summer school and had a 2 hour law lecture on contract law - it was brilliant ! The course tutor was clear and interesting and got us involved

ReputationRep:
    Have you sat your LNAT ? Nottingham and UCL require it.

It all depends on what you like. I thought Surrey was going to be not as good as some unis for law but when I looked around it was the best and had the best work experience opportunities. They are all excellent universities you have on there. Look at the specific course modules and choices for year 3 and that might make the decision easier.
    I'm working on my LNAT and hope to sit it in about January -- I'm quite nervous for it but should hopefully be okay if I'm prepared.

Surrey's interesting, doesn't seem to have a great reputation but I'll definitely look into it. I'm interested in doing a year abroad in the third year so am definitely taking that into account but most of the universities seem to have good study abroad opportunties.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I thought that as well about Surrey, it's not ranked well for Law but league tables aren't the best to go off. Their law placements are amazing and don't have to be in law if you change your mind while studying and they offer you to do 6 months abroad and 6 months placement or both for 12 months and have over 293 contacts, and support you throughout. Their law society is also interesting. I just liked it really. It's down to where you feel comfortable. You need to see yourself attending full time. You need to be at the open day and say I can see myself here.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

UCL (A*AA)
    KCL (A*AA)
    Nottingham (AAA)
    Leeds (AAA)
    Newcastle (AAA)
    Exeter (AAA/AAB)
    East Anglia (AAA)
    Liverpool (ABB)

Thanks
    You've picked quite a range of places - London is expensive, can you afford that? I'd delete either UCL or KCL..

I'd delete East Anglia - Norwich is pretty remote.
    Delete either Leeds or Newcastle.

Keep Liverpool as a back-up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muttley79)
    You've picked quite a range of places - London is expensive, can you afford that? I'd delete either UCL or KCL..

I'd delete East Anglia - Norwich is pretty remote.
    Delete either Leeds or Newcastle.

Keep Liverpool as a back-up.
    I'd really like to live in London actually; I looked around UCL and loved both the campus and course. Would you not advise putting both UCL and KCL though?

I think I'll definitely keep Liverpool but agree that probably won't go to East Anglia/

I'm thinking either UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Exeter and Liverpool or UCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter and Liverpool - which sounds better?

ReputationRep:
    Although I absoutley 110% recommend Newcastle. I went to their university summer school and had a 2 hour law lecture on contract law - it was brilliant ! The course tutor was clear and interesting and got us involved
    Only problem with Newcastle is that it has the same grade requirements as a lot of the better ones but doesn't seem to be nearly as prestigous. I'm definitely considering it though.

What sounds better out of UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Exeter, Liverpool or UCL, Nottingham, Exeter, Leeds, Liverpool? I'd really like to live in London but not sure about putting both UCL and KCL
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Only problem with Newcastle is that it has the same grade requirements as a lot of the better ones but doesn't seem to be nearly as prestigous. I'm definitely considering it though.

What sounds better out of UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Exeter, Liverpool or UCL, Nottingham, Exeter, Leeds, Liverpool? I'd really like to live in London but not sure about putting both UCL and KCL
    So you want to go to a prestigious university ? I mean it is a Russell group and is higher in the tables than some of those. It all depends on personal preferences.

I'm sure if you put both it'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I'd really like to live in London actually; I looked around UCL and loved both the campus and course. Would you not advise putting both UCL and KCL though?

I think I'll definitely keep Liverpool but agree that probably won't go to East Anglia/

I'm thinking either UCL, KCL, Nottingham, Exeter and Liverpool or UCL, Nottingham, Leeds, Exeter and Liverpool - which sounds better?
    Have you visited KCL? I'd go with the second list.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.