The Student Room Group

How can I stop myself getting bored and feeling sleepy during revision?

I really don't know why but I seriously am starting to hate myself, whenever I play games/watch stuff in TV or internet I never EVER yawn or feel sleepy but when I do revision, duh duh duh I feel sleepy and often yawn, I really try my best to be concentrated but I often end daydreaming about stuff instead of actually focusing in getting the material into your head, this is also one of the reason which holded me back at GCSEs and which contributed towards my bad grades, I do not look at my phone, computer, TV etc...when I revise yet I still end up getting distracted by daydreaming and yawning. How can I stop this behaviour when I revise?
An A* student never gets bored or tired when revising from what I have seen on YouTube.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by The RAR
I really don't know why but I seriously am starting to hate myself, whenever I play games/watch stuff in TV or internet I never EVER yawn or feel sleepy but when I do revision, duh duh duh I feel sleepy and often yawn, I really try my best to be concentrated but I often end daydreaming about stuff instead of actually focusing in getting the material into your head, this is also one of the reason which holded me back at GCSEs and which contributed towards my bad grades, I do not look at my phone, computer, TV etc...when I revise yet I still end up getting distracted by daydreaming and yawning. How can I stop this behaviour when I revise?
An A* student never gets bored or tired when revising from what I have seen on YouTube.

Remind yourself why.
Take breaks
Change the variety of methods.
Pace yourself.
Original post by 999tigger
Remind yourself why.
Take breaks
Change the variety of methods.
Pace yourself.

Absolutely right .. note to moi😩
Sometimes the things we don't enjoy makes us more tired. It is probably the reason I don't like getting up during the week, but can wake up early naturally on my days off work. :smile:

Do revision in short chunks, rather than one long session, which can be draining. If you are feeling low on energy, you can have some snacks on the table. You could also revise with friends. If you revise in a group, it can make you more focused, and if one of you doesn't understand something, the other can help them.
Reply 4
Keep food by your side as reward :smile: xoxox
You can't. If it's boring, it's boring, and since you need to do so many different subjects at GCSE, most of what you study will bore you to death. There's no easy solution, you just have to stick with it and work according to how much you get done as opposed to how long you study (to account for lack of concentration/daydreaming).

For the record I got straight A*s (so would be considered an 'A* student') but I experienced the same feelings as you, probably worse. At least so much that I always ended up self-studying/cramming everything last minute, but when I did I think simply the stress of it being too late motivated me to concentrate and work extremely hard. I don't advise this though, just work hard consistently throughout the year and set targets according to how much you get done, not how long you study.
A few pills of Adderall.
Reply 7
Original post by The RAR

This happened to me while I was studying for my degree. At first I used to just nap when I was tired but that was counterproductive and made me even more tired. I have quite bad anaemia but didn't think anything of it even though I was constantly exhausted. I just forced myself to study, get some fresh air when I started feeling tired and honestly breaking it up with regular breaks definitely helps. In your breaks do something that will completely remove you from studying, it will also help you to know if you are actually taking it in.
Listen to music you enjoy.
Treat yourself with snacks.
Revise in different places like on your desk, in school or the local library.
Put up revision posters around the house like in the kitchen, on the fridge or places you most frequent. You'll see it and may remember it.
Use fun coloured pens and revision cards.
If you don't like revision cards make fun revision material like if you had to revise the food chain or a balanced diet in biology- physically cut out or print a pyramid shape and include everything needed.
Remind yourself that you are doing this for your successful future.
Goodluck and let me know how you get on.

Quick Reply