Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Applying for IR, and SOAS has a bit of a reputation for being quite intolerant of any not-extreme-leftwing views. Any experience here?

ReputationRep:
    There is much going on at SOAS, that has nothing to do with Israel, and by that, I mean that the study and discourse there is focused on Africa, Asia, and the Islamic World. Invariably, Israel and its official governmental policies will be points of discussion which arise, however, there are language programs of study, development economics, history, Islamic studies, there are a myriad of programs, so I think one thing is to narrow down things to areas of interests and the types of programs you are interested in studying. SOAS has an Israeli Society, SOAS has a program (M.A.) in Israeli Studies. So, most respectfully, if your interest in SOAS is real, then rather than rely upon hearsay -might I humbly suggest directly seeking engagement with students at SOAS from Israel and who are members of the Israeli Society to obtain a first hand perspective? Also, your concerns and questions about how you might be received are understandable and reasonable, I would suggest, to, however, you evaluate what your own level of tolerance would be to positions and arguments which will run counter, and in some cases, very strongly counter to your own positions. Best wishes.

https://soasunion.org/activities/society/6652/

(Original post by kyledean99)
    Applying for IR, and SOAS has a bit of a reputation for being quite intolerant of any not-extreme-leftwing views. Any experience here?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.