Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, basically, I'm in year 11 and it’s dawned on me that I can’t procrastinate picking my A-levels for much longer. A year ago, it would have been simple, but now I really don’t know what I want to do with my life and I have five A-level choices that I need to get down to three.
    Throughout pretty much all my life, I've wanted to do a creative writing degree at one of the few Russell group universities that offer it and, somehow, miraculously publish a book not long after graduating. But now I'm second guessing myself because it’s highly unlikely that’s going to happen and I'll probably be working in Tescos or something that doesn’t use my degree at all. I also want to help people, or at least make them happy, and I feel like sitting in dark room and writing stories isn’t really doing that or contributing to anything whatsoever. So recently, I've been thinking, “Hmm. Doctors help people. Maybe I should become one of them,” which really isn’t a good idea going by how squeamish I am, but, well, I kind of like that idea. I'm intrigued by oncology, but I don’t know whether I'm seven-years-in-long-hard-medical-school intrigued.

My possible options are:
    -English Language
    Pros: Good at it, better at essay based subjects, will probably enjoy it because I love English
    Cons: a lot different from GCSE, not a fan of all the linguistic-y stuff, thought there’d be a bigger creative writing aspect, it’s the only option I don’t really need, risk I'll HATE the course, a lot of people take it because it's so different from GCSE and they hated it but I loved the GCSE course sooo
    -English Literature
    Pros: enjoy it, the only option I need for creative writing, will most likely do well in it
    Cons: creative writing is my main point of focus but I do enjoy lit, might make me look ‘weak’ applying for medicine with an essay based subject against people with three science subjects
    -(modern) history
    Pros: I enjoy history, will probably do well in it, better at essay based subjects, will be useful to apply for creative writing with
    Cons: again, I don’t really need it
    -Biology- predicted 8
    Pros: my favourite of the sciences, my best science, a science subject will probably open more doors, necessary/ useful for medicine
    Cons: not as good at science subjects, will need to work four times as hard, only a big fan of human biology, reALLY squeamish, taking one science subject is pretty much pointless because you need two to pursue anything science-y at uni, will look like the odd one out against lit and history (probably the ones I will take) and not compliment them
    -chemistry
    Pros: necessary for medicine/ anything science-y, two sciences will open lots more doors, possibility of developing a passion for chemistry (not likely lmao)
    Cons: really not much of a fan of chemistry, meant to be the hardest a level, struggle with/ detest maths, will need to work thirteen times as hard, won’t look like a strong candidate for creative writing with only one essay based subject

I might as well rule out English language now. So now I'm down to two combinations:
    English literature, history and biology
    English literature, chemistry and biology

We’ve been told by our school to take three a-level options, which has really thrown a wrench in the works because I thought I could just take four and then drop one, but you can’t do that with the new a-level system, apparently, so there’s that. But, on the website of the college I want to go to, they say they allow grade 8/9 students to take four. I'm predicted all 8s, though I'm really not sure if this would be a good idea. Yes, it’d let me take all four options, but at the same time, I really doubt I'd be able to cope. To some degree, I'm clever, but it’s really only because I've got a decent memory and I can pick things up fairly easily. I'm not smart by nature; I have to work for it, and I don’t think I'd be able to keep up with it all, to be honest. After all, it’s better to have three As as opposed to four Cs.
    Honestly, I kind of know that I'll end up taking lit, history and biology, and I know that’s the best option, really, but I can’t help but think that I might regret not taking chemistry. I don't like what I want and I really just wish I wanted to be a doctor full stop and have no problem taking chemistry. Yes, it’s really not my favourite science and I'll definitely have quite a few breakdowns throughout the year, but maybe I will come around to the idea of medicine and I'll regret not taking it.
    In short, I really need to get my life together and I don't know how to do that.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I completely sympathise with you and know how hard this must be for you. I've done my A levels, I've done my degree, and yet I still find myself regretting things, which is something I don't want you feeling! It's really difficult that you have to decide what A levels you want to do at such a young age, as they can affect your future options. In many ways, your situation is VERY similar to how mine was. I took Bio, Chem, History, and Lit at AS. I loved essay subjects but I was also considering becoming a vet, so this combination allowed me to keep my options open. I ended up despising chemistry, did no work for it and dropped it at A2. Long story short, I ended up doing a Biology degree which I loved, but now I find myself stuck as I want a career in healthcare, so I either go back to uni or find a training position in an area I like.

I'm telling you this as I want you to be happy and make the right choice. If you strongly feel you want to be a doctor and want that opportunity, then I'd suggest taking chemistry. It could be a very long road and a tough time, but it would hopefully be worth it in the end and you wouldn't be full of regret. You would definitely be able to get onto a creative writing course with just English Literature, so again, your options are still open. Then again, if taking chemistry would make you very unhappy, you could end up with a poor grade. It's all about weighing up your options

Perhaps research more into becoming a doctor, have a read up on the chemistry course in detail and see how you feel, speak to someone who studies it (there are plenty of people on here who you can approach!)

I hope you figure out what you want, take your time, consider all options, and stay focused. Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Honestly, I completely sympathise with you and know how hard this must be for you. I've done my A levels, I've done my degree, and yet I still find myself regretting things, which is something I don't want you feeling! It's really difficult that you have to decide what A levels you want to do at such a young age, as they can affect your future options. In many ways, your situation is VERY similar to how mine was. I took Bio, Chem, History, and Lit at AS. I loved essay subjects but I was also considering becoming a vet, so this combination allowed me to keep my options open. I ended up despising chemistry, did no work for it and dropped it at A2. Long story short, I ended up doing a Biology degree which I loved, but now I find myself stuck as I want a career in healthcare, so I either go back to uni or find a training position in an area I like.

I'm telling you this as I want you to be happy and make the right choice. If you strongly feel you want to be a doctor and want that opportunity, then I'd suggest taking chemistry. It could be a very long road and a tough time, but it would hopefully be worth it in the end and you wouldn't be full of regret. You would definitely be able to get onto a creative writing course with just English Literature, so again, your options are still open. Then again, if taking chemistry would make you very unhappy, you could end up with a poor grade. It's all about weighing up your options

Perhaps research more into becoming a doctor, have a read up on the chemistry course in detail and see how you feel, speak to someone who studies it (there are plenty of people on here who you can approach!)

I hope you figure out what you want, take your time, consider all options, and stay focused. Best of luck
    Thank you so much! I think I will take chemistry after all, though I'm going to talk to my teachers first. Thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.