Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Blocked loans and parental help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I didn't have a bank account and after I got into Uni it took me a while to open one mainly because 1 bank took very very long to process and I ended up opening an account with a different bank even quicker. I've done everything so far and I believe SF has processed everything pretty quickly for me.

At the moment I'm at the stage where I've sent off the form and I think it's been approved?, however the only slight concern is that my status for payments all of them come up as blocked; I'm not sure if this is normal since I read that maybe they're checking my NI number or whatever. (It's only been 3 days since I confirmed my banking details. Do I still need the Uni to confirm my attendance?
    Secondly, since I need to pay my accommodation fees would it be fine to get my parents to pay them; I swear I read on the form that other financial help is now allowed? I'm literally surviving on like £20 lol.

Finally, is it of any concern that my passport will expire on the coming 18th? Do I still need my passport to prove anything? I'm a UK citizen. I have my provisional driving license otherwise.

Thanks!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiepoa)
    Hi,
    I didn't have a bank account and after I got into Uni it took me a while to open one mainly because 1 bank took very very long to process and I ended up opening an account with a different bank even quicker. I've done everything so far and I believe SF has processed everything pretty quickly for me.

At the moment I'm at the stage where I've sent off the form and I think it's been approved?, however the only slight concern is that my status for payments all of them come up as blocked; I'm not sure if this is normal since I read that maybe they're checking my NI number or whatever. (It's only been 3 days since I confirmed my banking details. Do I still need the Uni to confirm my attendance?
    Secondly, since I need to pay my accommodation fees would it be fine to get my parents to pay them; I swear I read on the form that other financial help is now allowed? I'm literally surviving on like £20 lol.

Finally, is it of any concern that my passport will expire on the coming 18th? Do I still need my passport to prove anything? I'm a UK citizen. I have my provisional driving license otherwise.

Thanks!
    Hi Xiepoa,

If your payments are showing as 'Blocked' then your application will have been approved. Payments won't schedule without an approved application.

Payments can show a 'Blocked' status for a number of reasons but the most common two are that your National Insurance number (NINO) hasn't yet been validated and that we don't have valid bank account details on the system.

You may want to check that your university has sent confirmation of your registration to us as we'll need that to release the payments once your NINO returns as valid.

As long as your passport was valid when it was checked during the application process then it won't affect your funding when it expires.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi Xiepoa,

If your payments are showing as 'Blocked' then your application will have been approved. Payments won't schedule without an approved application.

Payments can show a 'Blocked' status for a number of reasons but the most common two are that your National Insurance number (NINO) hasn't yet been validated and that we don't have valid bank account details on the system.

You may want to check that your university has sent confirmation of your registration to us as we'll need that to release the payments once your NINO returns as valid.

As long as your passport was valid when it was checked during the application process then it won't affect your funding when it expires.

Regards,

Stuart
    Hello, thanks for the quick reply.
    My other question was that if I can receive financial help from my parents; I need to pay the first of 3 instalments for accommodation, even when I do get the maintenance loan (since it's the minimum amount; as to get it to process faster since I applied late) it still wouldn't be enough to cover the first instalment.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xiepoa)
    Hello, thanks for the quick reply.
    My other question was that if I can receive financial help from my parents; I need to pay the first of 3 instalments for accommodation, even when I do get the maintenance loan (since it's the minimum amount; as to get it to process faster since I applied late) it still wouldn't be enough to cover the first instalment.

Hi Xiepoa,

There's nothing to stop your parents helping out financially.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.