Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

DIRE Situation - Advice NEEDED Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so, I'm a second year student, and I'm usually quite good at managing my finances. However, I've fallen on hard times

I had a lot of unexpected expenses recently (some of which I cannot disclose) - including a speeding fine, £95 for a driving speed awareness course and £72 for a new license (because if my life wasn't a big enough mess already, I lost my drivers license a few weeks ago).

So, I never got into my overdraft in first year. And this year, my stubborn prick of a father is taking my loan away from me and giving it to me in small portions every month. The stubborn ****er refuses to give me any money until November the 1st.

My Bank Account balance is £17 and I have £0 balance "available"

I applied for and had a student account accepted for HSBC last year before freshers even started and I was told I'd likely have an agreed overdraft limit of £1500. However, whichever dumb**** at HSBC was responsible for formalising this didn't do anything (as I have literally only just realised now), and so my account has an agreed overdraft limit of £0

So I plan to go in to the city tomorrow to try and open a student account. I cannot afford a bus ticket, so my walk into town will be 1 ****ing hour. Anyway, this is besides the point.

I have researched what I need to be accepted as a student account holder, and theres a BIG problem. I need confirmation that I am (in their words, "still" )a student, thus my student ID is not applicable or acceptable. They request that I print off my AS12 letter. The only problem is that my confirmation from UCAS has to have been sent to me within the last six months.

My AS12 letter was sent to me 14 ****ing months ago.

I have no way of proving I am a student. Is there any other form of ID or proof they would accept? I can take my Halls Committee or Bar Crawl shirts in with me, but I feel like they wouldn't be accepted because of the process of scrutiny Banks follow as protocol with any application

HELP ME PLEASE I AM SO ****ED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logia)
    Okay, so, I'm a second year student, and I'm usually quite good at managing my finances. However, I've fallen on hard times

I had a lot of unexpected expenses recently (some of which I cannot disclose) - including a speeding fine, £95 for a driving speed awareness course and £72 for a new license (because if my life wasn't a big enough mess already, I lost my drivers license a few weeks ago).

So, I never got into my overdraft in first year. And this year, my stubborn prick of a father is taking my loan away from me and giving it to me in small portions every month. The stubborn ****er refuses to give me any money until November the 1st.

I applied for and had a student account accepted for HSBC last year before freshers even started and I was told I'd likely have an agreed overdraft limit of £1500. However, whichever dumb**** at HSBC was responsible for formalising this didn't do anything (as I have literally only just realised now), and so my account has an agreed overdraft limit of £0

So I plan to go in to the city tomorrow to try and open a student account. I cannot afford a bus ticket, so my walk into town will be 1 ****ing hour. Anyway, this is besides the point.

I have researched what I need to be accepted as a student account holder, and theres a BIG problem. I need confirmation that I am (in their words, "still") a student, thus my student ID is not applicable or acceptable. They request that I print off my AS12 letter. The only problem is that my confirmation from UCAS has to have been sent to me within the last six months.

My AS12 letter was sent to me 20 ****ing months ago.

I have no way of proving I am a student. Is there any other form of ID or proof they would accept? I can take my Halls Committee or Bar Crawl shirts in with me, but I feel like they wouldn't be accepted because of the process of scrutiny Banks follow as protocol with any application

Your student advice centre can print off a letter on the spot confirming your student status.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Logia)

I have researched what I need to be accepted as a student account holder, and theres a BIG problem. I need confirmation that I am (in their words, "still" a student, thus my student ID is not applicable or acceptable. They request that I print off my AS12 letter. The only problem is that my confirmation from UCAS has to have been sent to me within the last six months.

My AS12 letter was sent to me 14 ****ing months ago.

(Original post by paul514)
      Your student advice centre can print off a letter on the spot confirming your student status.
      Good advice already given.

I hope it works out for you, I truly do - however, if it does not then perhaps it may be a good idea to look at getting some short term work from an agency - some pay quickly for a day or two a week.

Good luck and please give an update when you can.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JamesH2017)
      Good advice already given.

I hope it works out for you, I truly do - however, if it does not then perhaps it may be a good idea to look at getting some short term work from an agency - some pay quickly for a day or two a week.

Good luck and please give an update when you can.
      Thanks to both of you

The only issue is with most agencies... they pay at the end/start of the month... so I'll still be broke and on the edge

ReputationRep:
      How does your father have your loan? Don't they go into your account?

(Original post by Logia)
        Thanks to both of you

The only issue is with most agencies... they pay at the end/start of the month... so I'll still be broke and on the edge
        I disagree regarding the pay from agencies but that aside...

You could look for some 'cash in hand' opportunities - bar/club/cafe etc. I'm trying to help - maybe Google stuff for your area?
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        Talk to your student union. Some universities will lend students money because they know that situations like this can come up. I don't remember what it's called but your union representative should be able to tell you if you qualify.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Nebuchadnezzaṛ)
        How does your father have your loan? Don't they go into your account?
        Power hungry megalomaniac who needs all the money in his pocket. I love the guy, he's my dad, but this is his biggest flaw

He and I have an agreement whereby he pays for half of my rent and I pay for the other half out of pocket. I already work at Burger King (just started), but again, I dont get paid till the 31st Oct/1st of November! - He threatened to remove his input into rent if I didn't send him my loan in full.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by JamesH2017)
        I disagree regarding the pay from agencies but that aside...

You could look for some 'cash in hand' opportunities - bar/club/cafe etc. I'm trying to help - maybe Google stuff for your area?
        I'll definitely be snooping around. The problem then is unless it pays handsomely, I can't afford anything more than food. No bills or rent etc.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
        Talk to your student union. Some universities will lend students money because they know that situations like this can come up. I don't remember what it's called but your union representative should be able to tell you if you qualify.
        Is there usually an interest rate?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Logia)
        Power hungry megalomaniac who needs all the money in his pocket. I love the guy, he's my dad, but this is his biggest flaw

He and I have an agreement whereby he pays for half of my rent and I pay for the other half out of pocket. I already work at Burger King (just started), but again, I dont get paid till the 31st Oct/1st of November! - He threatened to remove his input into rent if I didn't send him my loan in full.
        Just tell him you need emergency £100 or something, jesus

some unis also have emergency finance loans
        • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Logia)
        Is there usually an interest rate?
        No idea. Try googling it for your university. I doubt they're gonna be loan sharks about it.

ReputationRep:
        This is all academic as he will get the letter from the student advice team at his uni and the overdraft kicks in right away.
        Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources
      How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.