Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people leave school at 16? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that in the UK you only have to do GCSEs and then you're done with education that is compulsory. Is it easy to find work? You can leave home? AT 16!?!?!?

If it wasn't obvious I'm not from the UK

ReputationRep:
    Yea IDK im not from UK either lol.

ReputationRep:
    You can't now, its 18.

They changed it a few years ago to keep people in education longer.

I left at 16 and would've left earlier if I could of, its peoples perceptions that the education system teaches everything you need to know. It teaches you barely anything you need.

You get taught about photosynthesis and meanders in rivers but not about how to prepare for a job interview.

The system is backwards; with regards to your question about finding work, its as easy or as difficult as you choose to make it.

ReputationRep:
    Previously you could have left at 16 but now it's 18. When I was 16 it was hard for me to get jobs, I used to fill out about 50-100 applications online, giving my cvs out and wouldn't get any response back.

If it was not because I am Nigerian, I would have finished school at 16 as I dont think school teaches you anything about life. University is worse as you just incur debt and u had the degree to your qualification but even now employers want experience over qualification.

Even though i finished my a levels(by just barely passing) I did an apprenticeship in IT(I barely passed my A levels in IT) and I have been working ever since(from the age of 18( as a computing engineer)

So yh I think people should finish their education at least at 18 and start working and should do certifications rather than degrees.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.