Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Law schools into Magic Circle firms -- how would you rank them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My grades are predicted A*A*B. Initially I was hoping to apply for UCL, but i guess UCL is out for me now...

Which of these universities are preferred most by Magic Circle law firms -- Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, Exeter, Nottingham?

ReputationRep:
    A obviously Oxbridge is the main target , but also all of the above . Look at the graduate recruitment websites of MC firms , they are holding Law fairs at the moment at various universities , that will give you an idea . Relative is a trainee in the MC and other trainees come from a wide range of universities ( Brunel , Newcastle , Leeds etc ) . Your university is only one consideration .

ReputationRep:
    As long as you go to a good Russell Group university like the ones you mentioned, it doesn't matter whether you went to Warwick, Durham or Bristol as all` are excellent university. It comes down to vacation schemes, internships, extra-curricular activities. There is international volunteering within the context of human rights law that you could do. These are things that firms look for. No serious firm obsessively watches the league tables to the same extent as students do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antelope11)
    My grades are predicted A*A*B. Initially I was hoping to apply for UCL, but i guess UCL is out for me now...

Which of these universities are preferred most by Magic Circle law firms -- Durham, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester, Exeter, Nottingham?
    Pretty sure that Durham's standard offer is also A*AA (though Google suggests that there are cases of people being let in with lower grades)

I'd take Durham or Bristol.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antelope11)

All much of a muchness - firms spend about the same amount of time, money and resource at all of those universities.

Everyone will say Durham and will send you the link to the Chambers Student Guide website that lists the universities most represented, but people fail to realise large proportion of non-law applicants apply from Durham, which you just don't get in the same volume from the other universities listed. Plus Durham has a high proportion of home counties students who all return back to the South East to work.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.