Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need help choosing universities for Data Science MSc! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello there I'm an international student applying for Data Science masters for the upcoming year (2018/2019). My plan is to apply to 6 universities and my first 4 choices are:
    1- UCL (My chances are very slim as I don't meet minimum req.)
    2- KCL
    3-Royal Holloway, Uni of London
    4- Southampton
    I'm also going to apply to Goldsmiths, Uni of London as a safety option in case I don't get into all the others.
    Right now I have to pick one more uni and I've narrowed it down to (Glasgow, Exeter, Leeds)... any insight on which of the three is better for the course?
    Also, if anyone has experiences or info on any of the Data Science courses at any of the unis mentioned here your opinion/advice is more than welcome!

Disclaimer: I have EXTENSIVELY researched the courses at all these unis and like 20 others.. plus every ranking league table there is.. but I still can't make up my mind because there are so much contradicting reviews about each uni/course so some personal experiences from UK students would definitely help. Thanks in advance!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I didn't even know Exeter had a Data Science course...in any case the relevant departments there aren't great. I mean, they're better than RHUL, but not by a lot. Goldsmiths has no real quantitative course or department to back it up. I would avoid that, realistically...

Glasgow are likely to be excellent with their Informatics department probably being involved. I don't know about Leeds specifically but it's overall pretty good and has strong STEM departments.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanneK)
    Hello there I'm an international student applying for Data Science masters for the upcoming year (2018/2019).
    Hi RowanneK :wavey:

Great to hear that you want to come to the UK to study your Master's Degree, it sounds like you're doing the right thing by researching your options and getting opinion from current students.

You may not know, but the University of Bradford has a great Master's degree in Big Data Science and Technology. It is taught by fantastic members of staff who are always willing to hep their students, and focuses on employability by collaboration with industry partners. Bradford is proud of it's BCS and ACM Student Chapters and state-of-the-art facilities with 24 hour computer lab access.

If you want any more information, just drop me a message

Shelley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    I didn't even know Exeter had a Data Science course...in any case the relevant departments there aren't great. I mean, they're better than RHUL, but not by a lot. Goldsmiths has no real quantitative course or department to back it up. I would avoid that, realistically...

Glasgow are likely to be excellent with their Informatics department probably being involved. I don't know about Leeds specifically but it's overall pretty good and has strong STEM departments.
    Thank you very much for your advice. Actually Exeter is offering three Data Science/Analytics courses starting this year 2017 so that's why you probably haven't heard of them yet they're new... they do sound promising but it's definitely risky to go there if Exeter isn't reputable in that particular area.
    As for Goldsmiths i'm not too excited about it but I need an option that's easier to get into just to be on the safe side.. my two safe options were Goldsmiths and Bournemouth.. do you think Bournemouth might be better or are they equally bad lol??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Bradford International)
    Hi RowanneK :wavey:

Great to hear that you want to come to the UK to study your Master's Degree, it sounds like you're doing the right thing by researching your options and getting opinion from current students.

You may not know, but the University of Bradford has a great Master's degree in Big Data Science and Technology. It is taught by fantastic members of staff who are always willing to hep their students, and focuses on employability by collaboration with industry partners. Bradford is proud of it's BCS and ACM Student Chapters and state-of-the-art facilities with 24 hour computer lab access.

If you want any more information, just drop me a message

Shelley
    Thank you very much Shelley! Actually I'm applying for a scholarship which only covers fees at certain universities that the foundation is partners with so unfortunately i can't apply to Bradford.

ReputationRep:
    Bump^

ReputationRep:
    Hi Rowan, Southampton has a very good and ECS school with excellent facilities and ranks quite well in CS in most league tables, Id say Southampton is definitely better than RHUL and probably KCL too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by promar22)
    Hi Rowan, Southampton has a very good and ECS school with excellent facilities and ranks quite well in CS in most league tables, Id say Southampton is definitely better than RHUL and probably KCL too
    Hi.. actually since this post I've changed my mind quite a bit and ended up applying to Edinburgh, Southampton, KCL, and Glasgow... I kind of got less enthusiastic about London unis once I saw how awesome the other unis can be.. I'm still contemplating though whether to apply to UCL or not as it's ranking really high in the CS league tables but I read so many reviews that UCL is great for research but kind of lacking good quality teaching and student experience... do you have any insight regarding UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RowanneK)
    Hi.. actually since this post I've changed my mind quite a bit and ended up applying to Edinburgh, Southampton, KCL, and Glasgow... I kind of got less enthusiastic about London unis once I saw how awesome the other unis can be.. I'm still contemplating though whether to apply to UCL or not as it's ranking really high in the CS league tables but I read so many reviews that UCL is great for research but kind of lacking good quality teaching and student experience... do you have any insight regarding UCL?
    A couple of my friends go to UCL for Undergrad CS, I think for masters especially for the machine learning MSc they have excellent teaching because I think they have lectures taught by Engineers from Google Deepmind which is amazing, UCL generally is a good school, I'd say just apply, the worst that can happen is they say no, but you'd rather that then you be left contemplating whether you would have got an offer or not if you didn't apply.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.