Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether there is a kind of university music centre where students can play instruments? I won't be able to take my electric guitar with me, and I would not want to lose the skill as one inevitably does without constant practice.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hi! This is a good question. I'm not sure the Faculty of Music houses any electric instruments tbh, or whether individual colleges would. Your best bet at getting an answer might be to contact OUMS (Oxford University Music Society) :yes:

How come you won't be able to take your electric guitar? Is the amp the issue or something else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Hi! This is a good question. I'm not sure the Faculty of Music houses any electric instruments tbh, or whether individual colleges would. Your best bet at getting an answer might be to contact OUMS (Oxford University Music Society) :yes:

How come you won't be able to take your electric guitar? Is the amp the issue or something else?
    Oh, many thanks!

I thought it'd be rather bothersome to bring a guitar and a rather large amp not least because I'd have little opportunity to use the amp as it would most likely disturb the neighbours. There's no point in bringing one without another. And one can't really shred on an acoustic guitar (well, unless one is Zakk Wylde)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarilynManson)
    Oh, many thanks!

I thought it'd be rather bothersome to bring a guitar and a rather large amp not least because I'd have little opportunity to use the amp as it would most likely disturb the neighbours. There's no point in bringing one without another. And one can't really shred on an acoustic guitar (well, unless one is Zakk Wylde)
    You can play without an amp, or use a mini one with headphones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    You can play without an amp, or use a mini one with headphones.
    I think I won't be taking it until Year 2 anyway, as I wouldn't want it to be a constant distraction. But playing guitar at a designated place and time would be quite good for developing time management skills, so I really hope that the OUMS have some good guitars.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.