Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RedRen)
    There is no epidemic of people committing crimes wearing burkas. It would be splashed all over the news if it was. It is just not an issue.

You can't ban clothing because it looks threatening to some, or we'd be policing every bit of clothing!

All criminals are free to wear disguises.

Calling people who wear the burka conceited is just trying to be offensive and shows a lack of understanding. I would read things written by people who wear the burka to understand the relentless abuse they get.

Banning this clithing would just isolate and alienate already vulnerable women
    that last statement is a bit of an overstatement don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Jack)
    Amazing fashion. I personally feel deprived in life because people think it would be silly to wear stuff like this every day.

true and it means I can't cosplay as superheroes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knightoflogic)
    it helps to make the public less paranoid. in any case, what logical reason would someone have to cover their face?
    Not understanding the point of something and not agreeing with it is not enough to make something illegal, I don't understand algebra!

ReputationRep:
    Not understanding the point of something and not agreeing with it is not enough to make something illegal, I don't understand algebra!
    its not about understanding its just about logic and common sense.

saying 'the burka is illegal' is bad

saying 'face coverings in public is illegal' is thinking of safety for the public.

I think you need to stop acting like this is a war solely on burkas, its not, burkas are just one of many face coverings that would be affected.

ReputationRep:
    that last statement is a bit of an overstatement don't you think?
    No. It is well documented that hate crimes against muslims have risen recently, and as visibly muslim, women who wear such clithing are disproportionately targeted. That is why I would consider them vulnerable.

ReputationRep:
    No. It is well documented that hate crimes against muslims have risen recently, and as visibly muslim, women who wear such clithing are disproportionately targeted. That is why I would consider them vulnerable.
    ok, but once again, please stop acting as if everyone always has it in for Muslims and that this is solely about burkas, ALL face coverings are affected by the ban.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

saying 'face coverings in public is illegal' is thinking of safety for the public.

I think you need to stop acting like this is a war solely on burkas, its not, burkas are just one of many face coverings that would be affected.
    But as I mentioned above, people who want to commit crime and cover their faces will regardless. Stopping other people who want to cover their faces for whatever reason is unacceptable in my opinion.

ReputationRep:

The title of this post states burkas. I am also happy I have the right to wear masks if I chose, motorbike helmets etc. I focussed on the burka because that was the topic of this discussion and is usually the reason people want face coverings banned. You yourself were talking about the burka too, I was just responding to that.

ReputationRep:
    Meh I don't care about the whole security thing. Symbols of religion should just be socially unacceptable in public.

ReputationRep:
    The title of this post states burkas. I am also happy I have the right to wear masks if I chose, motorbike helmets etc. I focussed on the burka because that was the topic of this discussion and is usually the reason people want face coverings banned. You yourself were talking about the burka too, I was just responding to that.
    I completely understand, but I'm just bringing to light the fact that this is not a ban on burkas, its face coverings as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    Meh I don't care about the whole security thing. Symbols of religion should just be socially unacceptable in public.
    really? don't people have a right to express their beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    really? don't people have a right to express their beliefs?
    They do, they shouldn't. Not in public.

ReputationRep:
    ok, but once again, please stop acting as if everyone always has it in for Muslims and that this is solely about burkas, ALL face coverings are affected by the ban.

Ok to clarify where I stand: I do not believe everyone 'has it in' for muslims.
    As often is the case, the topic of this discussion was covering the face and the burka. Banning face covering usually seems to me to be more about policing muslims than any other group, as demonstrated by the focus of this discussion.
    I talked of hate crimes against Muslims becauase it has recently been reported in the news to have risen, and those who are 'visibly' Muslim are disproportionately affected.

ReputationRep:
    They do, they shouldn't. Not in public.
    why not?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    of course if they're genuine that's fine, but what's to stop a terrorist to wear a burka, just appearing as a normal Muslim, no one would suspect anything and then commit a horrible crime and no one would know?
    Tell me the last time a terrorist attack happened with the perpetrator wearing a burka.

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    Why should they? If I walk around with a swastika people would look at me with disgust. Religions are ideologies that have caused a hell of a lot of death and misery too, should be treated in the same light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London,SweetBoy)
    It's clothing not clithing. You can keep writing clithing.

Learn to spell.
    It's a typo, there's quite a few in my last post I'm afraid. Typing on phone and attempting to multi-task, I'm clearly not doing very well haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by London,SweetBoy)
    I am just saying, the burka can be intimidating to some people, as it looks like she/he is trying to hide something under there.

Also what is the point in hiding your face.

These Muslim women are sooooo gassed and conceited, that they think one look at their faces and they will have the men of UK swooning over them if they don't cover up that beauty with a piece of black cloth.

Please:plz2: Do yourself a favour and get over yourself!

About I am too beautiful I can't allow these kaffirs to drool over my beauty it is only for my partner!
    PRSOM, this is actually a good point. The purpose of the niqab is supposedly to conceal the woman’s beauty, but the truth is that the majority of niqabis, like the majority of people, will be either average-looking or unattractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catsarefamily)
    Isn't it illegal to hide your face in public?
    No, it isn’t. Not in the UK anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Why should they? If I walk around with a swastika people would look at me with disgust. Religions are ideologies that have caused a hell of a lot of death and misery too, should be treated in the same light.
    ok, i think we both know that's extreme and a serious exaggeration.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.