Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'll start off by saying that the hints for the questions do not help me one bit.

There's 2 questions that I've been stuck on for about a week

1) Shelf and brackets
    A shelf of uniform density is supported by two brackets at a distance of 1/8 and 1/4 of the total length, L from each end respectively.

A) Find the ratio of the reaction forces from the brackets on the shelf. Express your answer in the form of a decimal less than 1 to three significant figures.

B) The rectangular shelf is now replaced with a uniform right-angled triangular shelf, as shown in the figure below. The centre of mass of a triangle lies at a point 1/3 of the perpendicular distance from the base to the tip.

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/s...?board=moments

2) Weight of a lorry

A haulage company wants to determine the weight of a lorry with four identical wheels, which is too large to stand with all four wheels on a single weighing platform.The lorry is placed so that the two front wheels are on one weighing platform and the two back wheels on another; the masses recorded are 1350kg and 1450kg respectively. The axles are 3.00m apart and at the same height

A) Find the mass of the lorry (2800kg) - answered

B) Find the distance of the centre of mass from the front axle.

C) What additional mass m would have to be placed 50.0cm in front of the front axle to make the weights borne by the axles equal? (75kg) - answered

https://isaacphysics.org/questions/w...?board=momentsHonestly i just need help. I can't find a way to solve these questions

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.