Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

I have come to the UK last summer to get some work done and then start the first year of my uni. Second now! So I worked for more than a year and started to work before uni.

Is it possible to change my status for the migrant worker now? I got a tuition fee loan as an EU student but, in fact, I have worked before starting studies at all and continued so for the time of the term...

Any advice is appreciated!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by athara)
    Hello everyone!

I have come to the UK last summer to get some work done and then start the first year of my uni. Second now! So I worked for more than a year and started to work before uni.

Is it possible to change my status for the migrant worker now? I got a tuition fee loan as an EU student but, in fact, I have worked before starting studies at all and continued so for the time of the term...

Any advice is appreciated!
    Hi athara,

We would be able to assess you as a Migrant Worker if you meet the criteria:

- EU/EEA or Swiss National

- have been lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of your course

- ordinarily resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of your course

- will be working throughout your studies

You can change from being assessed as an EU student to Migrant Worker at any time during the course as long as you were resident in England on the first day of the first academic year.

If you have applied as EU applicant and wish to change to MW status, you should complete a PN1 form and send this to us with relevant evidence. You must send your original ID again even if this was sent for the EU applications.

The relevant evidence is:

- Your contract of employment that accurately represents your contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which you work if this is not confirmed on your contract of employment or if you are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify your employment status with your employer)

- Your last 3 months payslips (if available)

- Your most recent P60 (if available)

We also require evidence of continued employment to allow funding to be released each term.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi athara,

We would be able to assess you as a Migrant Worker if you meet the criteria:

- EU/EEA or Swiss National

- have been lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least 3 years prior to the start of your course

- ordinarily resident in England or Wales on the first day of the first academic year of your course

- will be working throughout your studies

You can change from being assessed as an EU student to Migrant Worker at any time during the course as long as you were resident in England on the first day of the first academic year.

If you have applied as EU applicant and wish to change to MW status, you should complete a PN1 form and send this to us with relevant evidence. You must send your original ID again even if this was sent for the EU applications.

The relevant evidence is:

- Your contract of employment that accurately represents your contracted hours and pay. We will also need a letter from the employer confirming the contract accurately represents the hours and terms of which you work if this is not confirmed on your contract of employment or if you are on a zero hour contract. This letter needs to be signed by a member of the Human Resources Department or their Manager (we may verify your employment status with your employer)

- Your last 3 months payslips (if available)

- Your most recent P60 (if available)

We also require evidence of continued employment to allow funding to be released each term.

Regards,

Stuart
    Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your answer! I have one more question if that's okay. What happens if I lose my job, for example, because my employer needs someone working on specific days, will I still be eligible? What proof do you need to show that I'm 'actively seeking employment'? If I have my payslips from last months, plus payslips etc. from my previous job and a confirmation letter from my employer, would that be enough to keep the worker status until next job?

Best,
    athara
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by athara)
    Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your answer! I have one more question if that's okay. What happens if I lose my job, for example, because my employer needs someone working on specific days, will I still be eligible? What proof do you need to show that I'm 'actively seeking employment'? If I have my payslips from last months, plus payslips etc. from my previous job and a confirmation letter from my employer, would that be enough to keep the worker status until next job?

Best,
    athara
    Hi athara,

If you are made redundant by your employer you can still retain eligibility for migrant worker status.

We will require a copy of your contract of employment showing the hours and payslips to show your current income level and a letter from your employer confirming the redundancy.

To show you are actively seeking work it would be advisable to show us evidence of any benefit claims, make a record of jobs applied for, keep letters inviting for interview etc

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi athara,

If you are made redundant by your employer you can still retain eligibility for migrant worker status.

We will require a copy of your contract of employment showing the hours and payslips to show your current income level and a letter from your employer confirming the redundancy.

To show you are actively seeking work it would be advisable to show us evidence of any benefit claims, make a record of jobs applied for, keep letters inviting for interview etc

Regards,

Stuart

Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.