Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering starting a degree in early childhood studies in either February or October next year. Would the only downside to starting in February be that I wouldn't get a summer break and would go straight onto another module in October ?
    Do you have to take part in discussions and presentations and if so how do they work ?
    How often are exams because the closest our centre to me is pretty far ?
    If it would be more advantageous to start in October could I squeeze in a access course that starts in February ?
    It is very possible that I will have another child while doing this course so would like to know if the exams are long and are they easy to reschedule if needed?
    Also does anyone know if I need actually work in childcare to do this course?
    Sorry if these questions are tricky to answer I'm just not really sure how the ou works yet.
    Thanks in advance 😀
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I believe you still get a break. You would start the next year in January again.
    It's mainly online so it's often forum posting and you have the choice to go to face to face tutorials but no presentations, only discussions.
    It depends on what you're studying. You can look into the module description and see if it has an exam. I believe my exams are in the final year.
    Access courses typically last 6 months but they're not recommended unless you've been out of education for a long time.
    The Open Uni is very flexible and supportive of people's lives so yes, most things can be moulded around you and your life.
    You do not need any work experience to do their courses.

(Original post by Samipahlovespie)
    I'm considering starting a degree in early childhood studies in either February or October next year. Would the only downside to starting in February be that I wouldn't get a summer break and would go straight onto another module in October ?
    Do you have to take part in discussions and presentations and if so how do they work ?
    If it would be more advantageous to start in October could I squeeze in a access course that starts in February ?
    It is very possible that I will have another child while doing this course so would like to know if the exams are long and are they easy to reschedule if needed?
    Sorry if these questions are tricky to answer I'm just not really sure how the ou works yet.
    Thanks in advance 😀

ReputationRep:
    Thanks in advance 😀
    If you apply for another in October then yes, you won't get a summer break and studying will start again in October.

Discussions often happen on forums, sometimes during tutorials. But you will be told when and how during the module. Sometimes you have to make presentations with a group, but you don't actually present to a group of people at the OU.

October starts are more in line with other uni's, so you will graduate in June, rather than October. If you felt an Access course would help you might well be able to do one between those times. But it isn't a pre-requisite.

Exams and end of module assignments can't be rescheduled, but they can be deferred at the OU's discretion until the next sitting. They are usually 3 hours long.

I don't know about work experience, but I would imagine it might be advantageous for that kind of course. I think there may have been a thread lower down this forum about work experience have a search.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your replys, you've pretty much answered everything I wanted to know 🙂
    The only other thing I'm wondering is if say I start a module in February and that finished in October, could I not just start a new module then which would finish in June and then wait to start the next until October. So I'd be essentially just be starting this year a few months late but catching up over the summer ?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for your replys, you've pretty much answered everything I wanted to know 🙂
    The only other thing I'm wondering is if say I start a module in February and that finished in October, could I not just start a new module then which would finish in June and then wait to start the next until October. So I'd be essentially just be starting this year a few months late but catching up over the summer ?
    This would depend on the modules you're looking to complete, but in general it would be possible.

The OU will only allow you to study 120 credits per year, with a temporary overlap of up to 150 credits so if you were looking to study full time it might not be possible - but it doesn't sound like this applies to you.
    Some modules require you to have completed (with final results) other modules before you can start them. There are very few modules that require this, though.
    Some modules only have a start date at one point in the year, so you may not be able to complete your preferred modules in your preferred order. You may be limited on choice of modules for your initial module with a February start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.