Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Adult maths and English and a levels, international qualifications Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, I'm studying level 2 maths and English at the moment the college keeps telling me that it's equivalent to a GCSE.

As a mature learner would I be better getting my qualifications this year and then go for GCSEs English, maths, biology, then if I pass, then try to find where I could study the international Baccalaureate diploma?

Me myself personally I would consider GCSEs and international Baccalaureate diploma.

Am I better off doing the pre-access, or GCSE?

I never gotten GCSEs whilst I was at school so personally I would prefer GCSEs and international Baccalaureate for my international education equivalent.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Coffin117)
    Hello everyone, I'm studying level 2 maths and English at the moment the college keeps telling me that it's equivalent to a GCSE.

As a mature learner would I be better getting my qualifications this year and then go for GCSEs English, maths, biology, then if I pass, then try to find where I could study the international Baccalaureate diploma?

Me myself personally I would consider GCSEs and international Baccalaureate diploma.

Am I better off doing the pre-access, or GCSE?

I never gotten GCSEs whilst I was at school so personally I would prefer GCSEs and international Baccalaureate for my international education equivalent.
    Hi

Your post isn't altogether clear.

GCSE is a level 2 qualification.

Normally the min you need is English and Maths which is what you are doing.

A Pre Access course is typically 4-5 GCSEs. The ones I have seen are. If they are different, then id get the GCSE's because they are easily recognised everywhere. Do check how they are different.

They arent bad things to have any may be required depending on what you wish your next step to be. You state you wish it to be the IB, so check with your college that you have what they require.

I think you are International, so IB is perfectly fine in the UK.
    If you were in the UK then more popular tend to be Access courses or A levels.
    IB tends to be less common.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Hi

Your post isn't altogether clear.

GCSE is a level 2 qualification.

Normally the min you need is English and Maths which is what you are doing.

A Pre Access course is typically 4-5 GCSEs. The ones I have seen are. If they are different, then id get the GCSE's because they are easily recognised everywhere. Do check how they are different.

They arent bad things to have any may be required depending on what you wish your next step to be. You state you wish it to be the IB, so check with your college that you have what they require.

I think you are International, so IB is perfectly fine in the UK.
    If you were in the UK then more popular tend to be Access courses or A levels.
    IB tends to be less common.
    Well adult courses set up the equivalent qualifications, like I would get level 2 english and maths, then my college wants me to proceed onto pre access course however I want to consider gcses instead of crappy equivalence, then find where I can study igcses before international baccalaureate, so I could go else where in the world for my degree.
    • Very Important Poster

Well adult courses set up the equivalent qualifications, like I would get level 2 english and maths, then my college wants me to proceed onto pre access course however I want to consider gcses instead of crappy equivalence, then find where I can study igcses before international baccalaureate, so I could go else where in the world for my degree.
    I dont think that moved it forward. If the pre access is an unrecognised qualification then get GCSEs. As i said the ones ive seen consist of 4-5 GCSEs.

Must be different where you are.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think that moved it forward. If the pre access is an unrecognised qualification then get GCSEs. As i said the ones ive seen consist of 4-5 GCSEs.

Must be different where you are.
    well I am doing maths and english this year; the college I go to keeps telling me about the pre access course, well I think equivalent qualifications are not always recognized qualifications, any help :eek:
    • Very Important Poster

well I am doing maths and english this year; the college I go to keeps telling me about the pre access course, well I think equivalent qualifications are not always recognized qualifications, any help :eek:
    Find out what it consists of. A pre access course is funnily enough the normal pre for doing an access to HE course. Tell them you wish to do GCSE and IB.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The above is good advice, so I'd recommend looking into that, but I would just comment that, if you're learning in the UK as a mature student, you would probably find an Access course more appropriate and cheaper than IB. The nature of IB is that it's very broad, and I think you will struggle to find somewhere that you can enroll on a normal IBD course, and you may find limited IB centres that will allow you to self study and take the exams through them.

Access courses are designed for adult learners intending to move into a degree course however, and are structured to provide the necessary background for a specific degree (typically for STEM subjects) or a general background for any general degree (such as in Humanities or Social Science subjects - just be aware that some Social Science subjects will require a higher level of maths attainment than most Humanities courses). They are only 1 year, rather than 2, which allows you to pursue your degree course of interest sooner and costs you less money in the process. Access courses are usually accepted by most universities, although for e.g. STEM subjects, it's usually advisable to contact the universities in question to confirm the course you're intending to undertake fulfills their prerequisites (for example, most STEM Access courses don't contain a suitable level of maths for Cambridge STEM or Economics courses - they may require you to take a maths qualification such as A-level Maths alongside, or something else. However for their "arts" subjects excluding Economics and including Psychology, most Access courses are acceptable).

ReputationRep:
    Find out what it consists of. A pre access course is funnily enough the normal pre for doing an access to HE course. Tell them you wish to do GCSE and IB.
    Well personally what do you think pre-access, would be a waste of my time anyway it would just be the GCSE equivalent, where I can go and sit the actual GCSEs myself and get more of a formally recognised qualification, before proceeding to my IB diploma?
    • Very Important Poster

Well personally what do you think pre-access, would be a waste of my time anyway it would just be the GCSE equivalent, where I can go and sit the actual GCSEs myself and get more of a formally recognised qualification, before proceeding to my IB diploma?
    You are getting bogged down over nothing. Just ask them.

1. Please tell me what this course consists of?
    2. If it doesnt consist of GCSE , then I would prefer to do them .

See what they say. Its hard for me to say because I dont know what it consists of. As ive said the one ive seen consisted of GCSEs and some additional study training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    The above is good advice, so I'd recommend looking into that, but I would just comment that, if you're learning in the UK as a mature student, you would probably find an Access course more appropriate and cheaper than IB. The nature of IB is that it's very broad, and I think you will struggle to find somewhere that you can enroll on a normal IBD course, and you may find limited IB centres that will allow you to self study and take the exams through them.

Access courses are designed for adult learners intending to move into a degree course however, and are structured to provide the necessary background for a specific degree (typically for STEM subjects) or a general background for any general degree (such as in Humanities or Social Science subjects - just be aware that some Social Science subjects will require a higher level of maths attainment than most Humanities courses). They are only 1 year, rather than 2, which allows you to pursue your degree course of interest sooner and costs you less money in the process. Access courses are usually accepted by most universities, although for e.g. STEM subjects, it's usually advisable to contact the universities in question to confirm the course you're intending to undertake fulfills their prerequisites (for example, most STEM Access courses don't contain a suitable level of maths for Cambridge STEM or Economics courses - they may require you to take a maths qualification such as A-level Maths alongside, or something else. However for their "arts" subjects excluding Economics and including Psychology, most Access courses are acceptable).
    Minimum University of Amsterdam set 3 GCSEs grade A to c and then ib deploma, A Levels, Cambridge is the same,

ReputationRep:
    You are getting bogged down over nothing. Just ask them.

1. Please tell me what this course consists of?
    2. If it doesnt consist of GCSE , then I would prefer to do them .

See what they say. Its hard for me to say because I dont know what it consists of. As ive said the one ive seen consisted of GCSEs and some additional study training.
    I'm just really unsure of my options

Preaccess diploma or three IGCSE ENGLISH, maths, science for level 2

for A levels well I'm looking for a place where I can study IB Diploma after? :afraid:
    • Very Important Poster

I'm just really unsure of my options

Preaccess diploma or three IGCSE ENGLISH, maths, science for level 2

for A levels well I'm looking for a place where I can study IB Diploma after? :afraid:
    You are approaching this the wrong way and have missed out important details.
    You are also not taking in what I'm telling you.

Identify what the pre access course consists of or link it to me. I cant comment on t properly without knowing what it consists of. the course I have seen consist of 4-5 GCSE + study skills. It is not a qualification in itself. If that was the case it would be fine for you.

You need to find out more about it.

If you are in the UK, then you can decide whether its A levels, BTEC, Access or IB. All of these will get you into uni in the UK.

As you are saying Amsterdam, then A levels or IB will do plus whatever else they accept by checking on their entrance requirements. Its much less common to find places that offer IB compared to any of the other options. Mature students tend to do Access or A levels.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.