The Student Room Group

Am I not eligible to receive an 18+ Oyster card?

When I tried to apply for the 18 + Oyster card it said that I had to enter the name of my Uni/college/school/establishment. I am not going to Uni this year as I am resitting some exams so I was confused about whether or not I should just enter my sixth form, even then my my sixth form was absent from the available establishments. If someone could help that would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by SultanOE
When I tried to apply for the 18 + Oyster card it said that I had to enter the name of my Uni/college/school/establishment. I am not going to Uni this year as I am resitting some exams so I was confused about whether or not I should just enter my sixth form, even then my my sixth form was absent from the available establishments. If someone could help that would be greatly appreciated.

It says you need to be an enrolled student.

If your sixth form isnt on the list then they were never registered anyway, so even if you were attending rather than resitting you wouldnt qualify. Contact them but I think its a no.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/18-student
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger

If your sixth form isnt on the list then they were never registered anyway, so even if you were attending rather than resitting you wouldnt qualify. Contact them but I think its a no.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/adult-discounts-and-concessions/18-student

Thanks for the help

Misleading as you are looking at the wrong place - to correct your point, if he was attending his sixth form then he would be eligible for free bus travel.

Original post by SultanOE
Thanks for the help

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/zip-oyster-photocards#on-this-page-2

Londoners aged 18 on 31 August who are still in full time education can also apply for a 16+ Zip Oyster photocard that allows free bus and tram travel.

To get this, you would need approval from your school that you are studying there full time, so you would have been able to get it if you were in classes. But that is not of much use to you.
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Misleading as you are looking at the wrong place - to correct your point, if he was attending his sixth form then he would be eligible for free bus travel.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/zip-oyster-photocards#on-this-page-2

To get this, you would need approval from your school that you are studying there full time, so you would have been able to get it if you were in classes. But that is not of much use to you.

Why are you accusing me of being misleading?
What is it that I have got wrong?
Why is that the wrong information?

Feel free to explain.
Why are you accusing me of being misleading?
What is it that I have got wrong?
Why is that the wrong information?

Feel free to explain.

See post above :smile:
See post above :smile:

I have read it and it still doesnt answer the questions.

I dont see what you have added.

He can clear it up with TFL, but my interpretation was its going to be a no..
I have read it and it still doesnt answer the questions.

I dont see what you have added.

He can clear it up with TFL, but my interpretation was its going to be a no..

The OP was looking for free travel - although looking at the wrong place (which is not their fault, as it would make sense to look at the 18+ card when you are 18)

I then presume you are not familiar with how Oyster cards work in London, and googled this.

You then correctly said that he would not be eigible for this particular card (18+) but then mentioned something incorrect/misleading about sixth form and attendances. This is because the 18+ card is not for students who are repeating Year 13. That would be the one that I linked in my post.

Why does this matter? In this case it made no difference, but your answer was incomplete as it did not point them to the correct area, which is probably fair enough to say that is because you aren't familiar with the 16-18 card and the 18+ page alone probably wouldn't have helped. So if someone else who was attending classes aged 18 came along and saw that they were not eligible for this card and saw nothing else, they could potentially be wasting hundreds of pounds on bus fares - this is what I have added.
The OP was looking for free travel - although looking at the wrong place (which is not their fault, as it would make sense to look at the 18+ card when you are 18)

I then presume you are not familiar with how Oyster cards work in London, and googled this.

You then correctly said that he would not be eigible for this particular card (18+) but then mentioned something incorrect/misleading about sixth form and attendances. This is because the 18+ card is not for students who are repeating Year 13. That would be the one that I linked in my post.

Why does this matter? In this case it made no difference, but your answer was incomplete as it did not point them to the correct area, which is probably fair enough to say that is because you aren't familiar with the 16-18 card and the 18+ page alone probably wouldn't have helped. So if someone else who was attending classes aged 18 came along and saw that they were not eligible for this card and saw nothing else, they could potentially be wasting hundreds of pounds on bus fares - this is what I have added.

If he's just resitting instead of retaking then he wouldnt be classed as a full time student. and he would be ineligible.

One of the most bizarre threads on TSR ever.... The idea someone else would come along and interpret my answer to the OP (which was correct) in the way you stated is rather twisted.
If he's just resitting instead of retaking then he wouldnt be classed as a full time student. and he would be ineligible.

One of the most bizarre threads on TSR ever.... The idea someone else would come along and interpret my answer to the OP (which was correct) in the way you stated is rather twisted.

You are correct but that's by chance only - your answer doesn't correctly address it, as I have already explained in my previous posts. I merely posted so that anyone googling this in the future will know exactly where to go, and to correct something you said that was inaccurate.

I see your answer as someone being a telephone operator for a firefighting place - if someone rang them up, and the caller asked if they were the police, and the firefighter operator said no and hung up, although the firefighter was correct it was missing something quite substantial! There is no interpreting of the question going on here.
(edited 6 years ago)
You are correct but that's by chance only - your answer doesn't correctly address it, as I have already explained in my previous posts. I merely posted so that anyone googling this in the future will know exactly where to go, and to correct something you said that was inaccurate.

I see your answer as someone being a telephone operator for a firefighting place - if someone rang them up, and the caller asked if they were the police, and the firefighter operator said no and hung up, although the firefighter was correct it was missing something quite substantial! There is no interpreting of the question going on here.

You are now getting very weird. he asked a question and I answered it correctly.
If he had asked a different question then I would have answered it appropriately.
(edited 6 months ago)
i have the same problem but i'm 19 retaking the entire year of 13. i am not sure if i'm eligible considering the 18+ asks for student enrolement id which is for uni i'm pretty sure and my sixth form isn't even on the lists of schools/colleges that i need to select. what can i do??

Quick Reply

Latest