Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Veganism... Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a vegan, I love meat, milk and cheese. I've always wondered what is the point of veganism? it doesn't seem to have any positive benefits, and seems quite silly imo. it just seems to be a trend. am i missing something? what do you guys think?

discuss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knightoflogic)
    I'm not a vegan, I love meat, milk and cheese. I've always wondered what is the point of veganism? it doesn't seem to have any positive benefits, and seems quite silly imo. it just seems to be a trend. am i missing something? what do you guys think?

discuss.
    Some people feel strongly about animals and the idea of just using them for produce; the idea that humans are above them or something. And the fact that animal cruelty even when products ARE made is still very rampant.

I'm not vegan or even vegetarian so I'm likely missing a few things.

ReputationRep:

discuss.
    Why does the idea of veganism appear silly to you?

Why you'd choose to eat meat and other animal products when you can live a perfectly healthy plant-based diet appears silly to me.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about others, but I really don't care who is a vegan and who isn't. Eat your food, enjoy it, do whatever you want.

Why are people, both vegans and non-vegans, so obsessed by this? It's so irrelevant that I cannot begin to comprehend why it is such a popular conversation topic. You eat meat? Good for you, I hope it's to your taste. You don't? OK, good for you too, I'm sure you'll enjoy your food just the same.

ReputationRep:

discuss.
    It has a lot of health and environmental benefits which are well-documented. Animal agriculture produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all forms of transport combined (source), is one of the leading causes of species extinctions (x), ocean dead zones (x), and Amazon deforestation (x). This report details the differences in emissions between vegans and meat-eaters.

In terms of health, the WHO classifies processed meats as a class 1 carcinogen. Meat and dairy consumption is also linked to the onset of diabetes (x, x) and a higher risk of heart disease (x) and various types of cancer including bowel, prostate and breast (x, x, x, I could go on).

That's without even taking into account the question of whether it's moral to kill animals for food when you can easily get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    It has a lot of health and environmental benefits which are well-documented. Animal agriculture produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all forms of transport combined (source), is one of the leading causes of species extinctions (x), ocean dead zones (x), and Amazon deforestation (x). This report details the differences in emissions between vegans and meat-eaters.

In terms of health, the WHO classifies processed meats as a class 1 carcinogen. Meat and dairy consumption is also linked to the onset of diabetes (x, x) and a higher risk of heart disease (x) and various types of cancer including bowel, prostate and breast (x, x, x, I could go on).

That's without even taking into account the question of whether it's moral to kill animals for food when you can easily get all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet.
    whose to say animals are more important than plants?

ReputationRep:
    Some people value animals more than plants and feel that they shouldn't eat them or use their products. Personally I don't agree with this, but I don't care if people think this. That said, if lab-grown meat becomes commercially viable, tastes the same and is as nutritious as actual meat, I'll be first in the queue.

Health-wise, it depends. Some people feel healtheir when vegetarian or vegan, whereas others find that they struggle. Some studies have been done linking processed meats to cancer, but I personally don't think the evidence is strong enough to make me switch.

Eating meat also damages the environment more than plants since each step in the food chain loses about 90% of the biomass. So I think that if you're going to eat meat (or anything for that matter), try your best not to waste it.

ReputationRep:
    whose to say animals are more important than plants?
    If you think plants are important you should eat less animals, because most plant food is fed to them! Eating meat is a really inefficient way to produce food, because you have to feed animals way more crops like grain than you would need if you just ate the grain directly yourself. Regardless, I think the environmental and health factors I mentioned above are convincing enough without taking the morals into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    It's food. It's the food chain, it happens in nature all of the time. Animals have no concept of veganism and will continue to eat meat as and when they see fit to sustain themselves. This is a natural process. The choice to be a vegan is your own, but your aggressive approach to try and get others to "see the light" is pointless.

I don't see why you keep coming back here, by the way.
    Obviously you are right in saying that animals will continue to eat meat but that's completely different to humans who have a) a higher understanding of ethics, b) don't need to eat meat to survive and c) don't just hunt wild animals for survival but actively raise them specifically for slaughter. I also don't think any other animals drink another animal's milk. I would actually have less of an issue with meat eating if it was just a case of hunting and eating wild boar or gazelle or whatever. As I posted above, the effect of the intense animal agriculture we have nowadays is an environmental catastrophe.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you are right in saying that animals will continue to eat meat but that's completely different to humans who have a) a higher understanding of ethics, b) don't need to eat meat to survive and c) don't just hunt wild animals for survival but actively raise them specifically for slaughter. I also don't think any other animals drink another animal's milk. I would actually have less of an issue with meat eating if it was just a case of hunting and eating wild boar or gazelle or whatever. As I posted above, the effect of the intense animal agriculture we have nowadays is an environmental catastrophe.
    Like I said before, to be very frank with you, I'm not really bothered about it and I don't care nearly enough to get into an argument about it. I like meat, I will continue eating it and I will enjoy eating it. The same goes for dairy, etc. - you can make your own choices just as well as I can. I don't need further justification and I am not seeking further debate surrounding the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said before, I'm not really bothered about it and I don't care nearly enough to get into an argument about it. I like meat, I will continue eating it and I will enjoy eating it. The same goes for dairy, etc. - you can make your own choices just as well as I can. I don't need further justification and I am not seeking further debate surrounding the matter.
    If you don't want to debate it why did you even come onto the thread? Good for you that you enjoy it, my point was just that individuals' choices to eat meat affect us all via climate change.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to debate it why did you even come onto the thread? Good for you that you enjoy it, my point was just that individuals' choices to eat meat affect us all via climate change.
    Because the issue is so inane and so recurring that I was irritated the same debate keeps coming up. That's all

As I said before, it's the norm, I enjoy it, I will not change that. You are free to do as you wish, thank you for also validating my free will in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    Because the issue is so inane and so recurring that I was irritated the same debate keeps coming up. That's all

As I said before, it's the norm, I enjoy it, I will not change that. You are free to do as you wish, thank you for also validating my free will in this situation.
    I don't think it is inane - a few years ago I had no idea how detrimental animal agriculture was (my thinking was just cow farts!) so it's good that more people are being exposed to an easy way to literally cut their personal emissions in half, which is really not insignificant. The increasing number of debates on it shows that the norm is starting to change I think - not so long ago there would be no vegetarian options in restaurants and now Pizza Express does vegan cheese. But yes free will is good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is inane - a few years ago I had no idea how detrimental animal agriculture was (my thinking was just cow farts!) so it's good that more people are being exposed to an easy way to literally cut their personal emissions in half, which is really not insignificant. The increasing number of debates on it shows that the norm is starting to change I think - not so long ago there would be no vegetarian options in restaurants and now Pizza Express does vegan cheese. But yes free will is good.
    I'm glad that people are more accommodating to veganism and I'm all for people making that choice, I don't particularly care that they do, but good for them. I'm going to be sticking to my way of life.

ReputationRep:

discuss.
    It's not just a trend for many vegans. Don't you find there's a reason why you don't know how the flesh you eat is produced, or why slaughterhouses aren't exactly at your doorstep? Most of us don't even question why we're the only mammal that continue to drink another mammal's milk, when it is completely pointless and unnatural. I mean when it comes down to it, eating another animal or consuming animal by-products is neither ethical nor beneficial to your health. A cow is artificially inseminated (meaning, a farmer will shove his hand inside a female cow's vagina and place sperm inside) and force her to become pregnant many times so that after carrying her child for 9 months, the child will most likely get shot, and then the milk she carries for the infant goes to you, the consumer. And I suppose if you really don't give a **** about animals, there are significant health benefits such as a reduced risk of diabetes, cancer and heart disease and many more.

Hope that helped .

ReputationRep:
    veganism is for all those annoying animal lovers aka hippies.

ReputationRep:
    My thoughts exactly

ReputationRep:
    I became a dietary vegan due to ethical reasons. The environmental factors are an additional plus. I don't believe it's a 'healthier' diet/lifestyle though.

ReputationRep:
    1. Ethical reasons
    2. Some say it's healthier but that sort of depends on how you actually handle it
    3. They were raised that way and kinda didn't stop

ReputationRep:
    Don't vegans drink water which is basically depriving a fish of its survival. And I'm pretty sure they've stepped on countless ants. Bunch of hypocrites I say.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.