Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Veganism... Watch

ReputationRep:
    It's about choosing a lifestyle to reduce the amount of needless unnecessary suffering of animals (ethics), for the environment and health. I wouldn't say that it's silly nor a trend- more people are just becoming more aware of their choices and how it indirectly contributes to a mass number of problems that can be reversed in the world. A lot of documentaries such as Cowspiracy and Earthlings for example are very informative on why people are vegan and why the world should be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    veganism is for all those annoying animal lovers aka hippies.
    Hippies like MMA fighters, American football players and Ironman competitors? :erm:

(Original post by Franzen)
    I became a dietary vegan due to ethical reasons. The environmental factors are an additional plus. I don't believe it's a 'healthier' diet/lifestyle though.
    Depends what you eat I suppose - a diet of just pringles, oreos and pot noodles is obviously not good but on average I think a lower risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease can be considered healthy

(For non-vegans reading: those things are vegan, oh yeah!)

ReputationRep:
    I am vegan purely because of some of the horrors I have read about in the dairy industry- I AM AWARE THAT ORGANIC MILK EXISTS- I just feel better without consuming animal products. Honestly though, that's my own personal view, and everyone is entitled to their own. I probably make more vegan jokes than all of my omnivorous friends combined.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    Depends what you eat I suppose - a diet of just pringles, oreos and pot noodles is obviously not good but on average I think a lower risk of cancer, diabetes and heart disease can be considered healthy

(For non-vegans reading: those things are vegan, oh yeah!)
    Healthy but not more healthy which was my point. I've talked to some vegans irl who believe that it is the healthiest diet possible, so I'm just trying to throw it out there that I think it probably isn't.

ReputationRep:
    My partner and I went became vegetarians on January 1st and, over the last week or so, have stopped drinking cow's milk.

Our main reasons: morals, for the love of animals, health, wellbeing.

(Original post by Knightoflogic)
      I'm not a vegan, I love meat, milk and cheese. I've always wondered what is the point of veganism? it doesn't seem to have any positive benefits, and seems quite silly imo. it just seems to be a trend. am i missing something? what do you guys think?

discuss.
      I love meat, but then I am also a vagitarian too. If lions and crocs can eat meat, then why cant I? Does god hate crocs and lions too?

ReputationRep:
      Healthy but not more healthy which was my point. I've talked to some vegans irl who believe that it is the healthiest diet possible, so I'm just trying to throw it out there that I think it probably isn't.
      I think a whole foods plant based diet is the healthiest, i.e. vegan but based on fruit, veg and whole grains. It's possible to be an unhealthy vegan, but a healthy vegan diet is healthier than a heathy meat diet.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Etoile)
      I think a whole foods plant based diet is the healthiest, i.e. vegan but based on fruit, veg and whole grains. It's possible to be an unhealthy vegan, but a healthy vegan diet is healthier than a heathy meat diet.
      Miss out on fish/eggs/offal though which are great in moderation.

ReputationRep:
      Miss out on fish/eggs/offal though which are great in moderation.
      Most fish nowadays has pieces of microplastic in it - no thanks! And eggs are really high in cholesterol. Dunno about offal though (never eaten it even pre-veg days) - but I do know you can get all the nutrients from plant sources. I use myfitnesspal to track my vitamins and I get all my vitamin A from bell peppers!

ReputationRep:
      Good for them, people can eat whatever they like, however I do dislike those who try to shove their eating habits on others :facepalm:
      • TSR Support Team
      • Very Important Poster
      • Reporter Team
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Knightoflogic)
      I'm not a vegan, I love meat, milk and cheese. I've always wondered what is the point of veganism? it doesn't seem to have any positive benefits, and seems quite silly imo. it just seems to be a trend. am i missing something? what do you guys think?

discuss.
      People do it primarily for health or ethical reasons or perhaps both.
      Health reasons might involve trying to reduce dietary cholesterol as well getting a higher proportion of vegetables into the diet.
      Ethical reasons are around the mistreatment of animals in the dairy, meat and egg industry as they're kept in confined conditions, forcibly impregnated and abused in other ways routinely.

I don't think many people do it simply because they don't like the taste of meat. Infact many vegans welcome the introduction of plant based products like vegan cheese that mimic the taste of animal-based substances. I don't think it is a trend. It isn't really trendy to be vegan. Most meat eaters are hostile and dismissive to those that choose to make the choice but is a diet that tends to be temporary. It requires a level of discipline which is rare, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
      I am vegan mostly for health and environment reasons. For me it was a good choice.

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 17, 2017
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.