The Student Room Group

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students?

Tell me what you think. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

well English schools have managed perfectly well without for the last thousand years :dontknow:
our schools new block has gender neutral toilets
How about, no.
I think it's a good idea, it's pretty much the same as the majority of disabled which are gender-neutral and have few problems.
Reply 5
why? who identifies as neutral that you know?
south park tackled this issue a few years ago. I personally found it funny and it did make us find out Lorde is really a transvestite called Randy Marsh.

It also gave us a really nice song by SIA called feeling good on a wednesday

[video="youtube;6JZ16GFl478"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JZ16GFl478[/video]
Yes.

Surely all children should feel comfortable enough to use the bathroom in school? I see no real problem with having them - maybe just have boys, girls, and gender neutral options. We don't need to abolish boys or girls bathrooms for the sake of gender neutral, but equally, we shouldn't be reluctant to add gender neutral for the sake of "never needed them before". :smile:
What percentage of schools or colleges even have one person who feels uncomfortable using normal toilets? I'd like to see any statistics on this.

I think this is a mountain made out of a molehill here. Instead of looking at our education and the increasingly high turnover of teachers, we're spending money so that a handful of people can make a #2 without being "triggered"? What's next? Are we going to campaign for special "tall toilets" so that the small percentage of people who are 7"6' can use them without seeing over the stalls? Or "wide toilets" for the few people who are 400lbs?

If you identify as male, use the male toilets. If you identify as female, use the female toilets. If you're not sure, use the toilets that you think you feel more comfortable using.

And if you really don't feel comfortable with either one, use the disabled toilets.
what a joke. of course not! its the stupid hard left making issues out of nothing and just inconveniencing everyone!
Original post by TheMindGarage
What percentage of schools or colleges even have one person who feels uncomfortable using normal toilets? I'd like to see any statistics on this.

I think this is a mountain made out of a molehill here. Instead of looking at our education and the increasingly high turnover of teachers, we're spending money so that a handful of people can make a #2 without being "triggered"? What's next? Are we going to campaign for special "tall toilets" so that the small percentage of people who are 7"6' can use them without seeing over the stalls? Or "wide toilets" for the few people who are 400lbs?

If you identify as male, use the male toilets. If you identify as female, use the female toilets. If you're not sure, use the toilets that you think you feel more comfortable using.

And if you really don't feel comfortable with either one, use the disabled toilets.

I agree that we are all probably thinking too far into this, but at the same time, even if there is just one child that's uncomfortable, then as a school, they would be obliged to do something about it.

There is also the issue of bullying - which we all know is in abundance in almost every school in the country. It's just a modern day issue I guess and one that's only likely to get worse unless we do something about in early on. Just my opinion though. I do see the pros and cons of what we've both said though :smile:
Original post by Knightoflogic
what a joke. of course not! its the stupid hard left making issues out of nothing and just inconveniencing everyone!

"Inconveniencing everyone"? How would the addition of a separate bathroom be an inconvenience to anyone?
Original post by TheMathsTeacher
I agree that we are all probably thinking too far into this, but at the same time, even if there is just one child that's uncomfortable, then as a school, they would be obliged to do something about it.

There is also the issue of bullying - which we all know is in abundance in almost every school in the country. It's just a modern day issue I guess and one that's only likely to get worse unless we do something about in early on. Just my opinion though. I do see the pros and cons of what we've both said though :smile:

But surely if someone is seen going into a gender-neutral bathroom, they're far more likely to be bullied than if they just use the one they feel most comfortable with. Of course it is a problem, but I think there are a whole bunch of more pressing problems that affect more people.
But surely if someone is seen going into a gender-neutral bathroom, they're far more likely to be bullied than if they just use the one they feel most comfortable with. Of course it is a problem, but I think there are a whole bunch of more pressing problems that affect more people.

Yeah, that is a good point.

I think if we try to second guess every scenario there's nothing that we could ever do about anything! It's just a case of what would be the most practical solution. I don't know that adding a whole new block of toilets is particularly practical to be fair. For those kids that really do feel uncomfortable using 'normal' toilets, do we tell them to just hold it? It's a balancing act I guess.

Yeah, I completely agree that there's probably bigger issues in schools at the moment, but every child has the right to an education in a safe place, etc, so we've got to deal with every problem. We can't pick and choose. Like I said though, you make good points :smile:
Original post by TheMathsTeacher
Yeah, that is a good point.

I think if we try to second guess every scenario there's nothing that we could ever do about anything! It's just a case of what would be the most practical solution. I don't know that adding a whole new block of toilets is particularly practical to be fair. For those kids that really do feel uncomfortable using 'normal' toilets, do we tell them to just hold it? It's a balancing act I guess.

Yeah, I completely agree that there's probably bigger issues in schools at the moment, but every child has the right to an education in a safe place, etc, so we've got to deal with every problem. We can't pick and choose. Like I said though, you make good points :smile:

We should deal with every problem, but if you only have the money to deal with a few, you either have to be selective or find money from somewhere else (something that the Government probably won't do). I don't see why we need any more gender-neutral toilets than the disabled ones.
Original post by Arnaez4
why? who identifies as neutral that you know?

Not the point. This isnt for people who identify as neutral but rather for the safety of tranagender students and other students who feel off by having them in the "wrong" bathrooms, which is stupid but does happen - therefore leading to furthee bullying and assaults.
Reply 16
Original post by VirgoStrain
Dumbass, most public toilets are gender neutral. It means people of either sex can go in.

wtf? no. the vast majority of public toilets have male and female facilities.
Reply 17
That’s just ridiculous . Why cater for people who clearly just want attention and to be different. For thousands of years of existence this has not been needed so why now , just because people are bored and so make up new things just to get attention.
We should deal with every problem, but if you only have the money to deal with a few, you either have to be selective or find money from somewhere else (something that the Government probably won't do). I don't see why we need any more gender-neutral toilets than the disabled ones.

A lot of schools don't allow student's to use their disabled facilities. In my school, we certainly weren't allowed to use the disabled facilities in case any of the kids with disabilities needed them. A lot of schools i've been in on placement etc also don't allow their kids to use the disabled toilets.

If they then start telling one child they are an exception to the rule, you'll get other kids kicking up a fuss and maybe even targeting that child like you mentioned earlier :/
Original post by ajayma
That’s just ridiculous . Why cater for people who clearly just want attention and to be different. For thousands of years of existence this has not been needed so why now , just because people are bored and so make up new things just to get attention.

It's scary that as a young person, in the 21st century, you have this level of intolerance and ignorance.

Quick Reply

Latest