Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajayma)
    That’s just ridiculous . Why cater for people who clearly just want attention and to be different. For thousands of years of existence this has not been needed so why now , just because people are bored and so make up new things just to get attention.
    It's scary that as a young person, in the 21st century, you have this level of intolerance and ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonkadonker)
    Not the point. This isnt for people who identify as neutral but rather for the safety of tranagender students and other students who feel off by having them in the "wrong" bathrooms, which is stupid but does happen - therefore leading to furthee bullying and assaults.
    any evidence that having transgender bathrooms leads to less bullying? I'd be inclined to say such obvious segregation is going to draw more attention and thus more bullying. social acceptance of transgenders is the only issue that needs tackling.

ReputationRep:
    No. Waste of money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnaez4)
    any evidence that having transgender bathrooms leads to less bullying? I'd be inclined to say such obvious segregation is going to draw more attention and thus more bullying. social acceptance of transgenders is the only issue that needs tackling.
    Yes there’s plenty of evidence. Any more questions?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMathsTeacher)
    "Inconveniencing everyone"? How would the addition of a separate bathroom be an inconvenience to anyone?
    its making an issue out of nothing. let kids be kids, stop forcing ridiculous gender ideas into kids. there are boys and girls, no more, no less, deal with it!

ReputationRep:
    It's scary that as a young person, in the 21st century, you have this level of intolerance and ignorance.
    The counter -argument to this could be that this is a passing fad or trend - and in only a very short space of time, this will all be forgotten, no-one will care about it and the ignorance will be looked back on as the people who promoted it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a school where the toilets were just in an alcove off the corridor, anyone could use them and there was sinks in the middle, stopped people congregating and messing about in there and if you do feel uncomfortable using a specific gendered toilet then that eliminates the problem. Nobody else cared they were gender neutral
    Also my doctors technically has gender neutral toilets, and they don't cause an issue

ReputationRep:
    On gender-neutral toilets - I don't think there should be a "third-category" as such - simply two types of toilets - single cubicles which are "toilets" that anyone can use - and also larger male toilets with several urinals. Anyone can use the "toilets" which aren't gendered - and the urinal blocks are there only to reduce congestion.

I'd propose this seperate of any gender debate - just on a facilities planning level.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    On gender-neutral toilets - I don't think there should be a "third-category" as such - simply two types of toilets - single cubicles which are "toilets" that anyone can use - and also larger male toilets with several urinals. Anyone can use the "toilets" which aren't gendered - and the urinal blocks are there only to reduce congestion.

I'd propose this seperate of any gender debate - just on a facilities planning level.
    Yup, this is the way. With common sinks and hand dryers.

After all, the toilet in your home is gender neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Yup, this is the way. With common sinks and hand dryers.

After all, the toilet in your home is gender neutral.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think the only issue with toilets is that trying to retrofit this kind of thing to schools is really expensive and disruptive - but in new-builds is easy and efficient to do.

The more difficult thing is changing rooms. If you're going to go down this road, I really don't see any alternative to having male and female changing rooms - and then a series of individual stalls. The problem then becomes telling males or females who want an individual stall that they can't use one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    Tell me what you think.
    Guess what theres only 2 genders!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iElvendork)
    I've been in a school where the toilets were just in an alcove off the corridor, anyone could use them and there was sinks in the middle, stopped people congregating and messing about in there and if you do feel uncomfortable using a specific gendered toilet then that eliminates the problem. Nobody else cared they were gender neutral
    Also my doctors technically has gender neutral toilets, and they don't cause an issue
    This is something in new school design, and as you suggest largely came out of anti-bullying / behaviour design. The issue is what to do with old schools, really.

ReputationRep:
    2 genders, no more, no less, so no gender-neutral toilets!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, chunngus
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure we had gender neutral toilets in primary school up until I was in year 5 I think.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)

This is how every bar or restuarant with limited space for bathrooms works these days. I don't see why everyone seems to think this needs to be made into a gender issue and get uptight about it which ever side of the arguement they sit on. Its just a practical solution.

ReputationRep:
    It's scary that as a young person in the 21st century, when the LGBT movement would happily declare themselves as the side with an open mind and the intellectual argument on their side, you'd absolutely faily to recognise that there is some merit to what they said.

(Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Yes there’s plenty of evidence. Any more questions?
    Here's a question: How were you able to completely miss the point of them asking if there was any evidence? They obviously wanted you to provide a link to some evidence, not just state "It exists".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    Here's a question: How were you able to completely miss the point of them asking if there was any evidence? They obviously wanted you to provide a link to some evidence, not just state "It exists".
    If trans kids weren’t complaining about bullying, this wouldn’t be an issue. Not too hard to work out. On the other hand, you could continue to pelt out big words pretending to be an intellectual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    If trans kids weren’t complaining about bullying, this wouldn’t be an issue. Not too hard to work out. On the other hand, you could continue to pelt out big words pretending to be an intellectual.
    I'm not denying that bullying of trans kids is a problem. Someone asked for evidence if gender neutral bathrooms reduced the bullying, they didn't ask if the bullying exists. Do you have any evidence for gender neutral bathrooms reducing bullying of trans people?

Okay, none of my words were "big" or even uncommon. Just a note, whenever person A claims that person B is trying to appear smart by using uncommon words and describing them as "big", it doesn't highlight the supposed intent of person B, rather it shows the intellect of person A, or at the very least their perception of words used by others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    I'm not denying that bullying of trans kids is a problem. Someone asked for evidence if gender neutral bathrooms reduced the bullying, they didn't ask if the bullying exists. Do you have any evidence for gender neutral bathrooms reducing bullying of trans people?

Okay, none of my words were "big" or even uncommon. Just a note, whenever person A claims that person B is trying to appear smart by using uncommon words and describing them as "big", it doesn't highlight the supposed intent of person B, rather it shows the intellect of person A, or at the very least their perception of words used by others.
    lol.

Trans bathrooms reduce bullying because the bullying that does occur in gender specific bathrooms is partly to do with the fact a trans person is in it, and may not fit in, or may look out of place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.