Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymouse 921)
    if you are female you have YY chromosomes
    you mean XX... lmao

ReputationRep:
    The f*ck's gender neutral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ljubljana)
    This. Your DNA will always reveal your gender. There is no third chromosome combination. Basic biology, really.
    Third-year biologist popping in here. There's actually a LOT more than three chromosome combinations - the most common outside XX/XY being XXY. And even people with XX/XY chromosomes can be biologically intersex in other ways, for example by having atypical genitals for their chromosome combination. That's biological fact, not opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    But why should a disabled person have to wait for the transgender person to use the toilet? Not all of us can wait.
    Why should a normal person have to wait for a transgender person to use the toilet?

In most places there are few people that are disabled bar some obvious reasons why disabled people might be in a highly concentrated area.

In most places there are also few transgender people, if you got a room filled with 100 people and asked anyone that was transgender and anyone that was disabled enough that they needed to use to disabled toilet you would get very few people. so toilets should always be free or atleast not with a giant line and worse case if you want to think that you are a different gender then go in that genders bathroom and go to the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    OF COURSE. All schools should have gender neutral bathrooms. It doesn't have to be ALL of the bathrooms, you can still have some gender-segregated if you want to.

I am a trans guy. (I'm male but have 'female parts') And I tell you. The fear I have to experience going into the men's bathrooms at college is INTENSE. To the extent I can't go into them if I'm wearing certain clothes because I'm worried some transphobe will have an issue with me pissing in the same place as him.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    Why should a normal person have to wait for a transgender person to use the toilet?
    Since when did they have to? Most places have more than one toilet.

ReputationRep:
    My school has one gender neutral bathroom but the rest are normal bathrooms. If you have a problem with the gender neutral ones you just use the normal toilets, it’s not that difficult. The only problem I have is that boys are discussing and there is now piss all over the place in those bathrooms, but that’s just because boys are horrible.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    Third-year biologist popping in here. There's actually a LOT more than three chromosome combinations - the most common outside XX/XY being XXY. And even people with XX/XY chromosomes can be biologically intersex in other ways, for example by having atypical genitals for their chromosome combination. That's biological fact, not opinion.
    But this is not what we are talking about, those genetic defects are abnormalities, this is not saying that someone who has XXY or some other defect does not have those chromosomes just that if you have XY you are male and XX you are female .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Since when did they have to? Most places have more than one toilet.
    People sometimes have to line up to wait for a toilet, not always but sometimes. This is due to most places having a sufficent amount of toilets adding transgender people to the list of people that use disabled toilets will hardly mean that there are 100's of people waiting in line for the disabled toilet, I would even be suprised if people noticed any more waiting for using a disabled toilet

ReputationRep:
    So we need more toilets for all these freaks? Just pick one or use the disabled toilet. It's probably where they belong
    "Just pick one" is hard when politicians, particularly over in the states, are trying to ban people from using the toilet they find appropriate, which is what brought attention to this whole thing in the first place and led to more gender-neutral bathrooms being suggested as an option.

But this is not what we are talking about, those genetic defects are abnormalities, this is not saying that someone who has XXY or some other defect does not have those chromosomes just that if you have XY you are male and XX you are female .
    Ljubljana said there is no third chromosome combination, which is just plain false. There are many, many ways in which you can be biologically neither male nor female in the typical sense. It's also possible to have XY chromosomes and to naturally appear outwardly as a girl or vice-versa, to the extent that sometimes people don't realise they're intersex until they try to have kids and find out they're infertile. XY = Male and XX = Female is a huge oversimplification.

ReputationRep:
    I think they should have somewhere to go that is gender neutral, but most schools are underfunded and spending money on another bathroom facility maybe isnt necessary if there is a disabled toilet which is multi-sex anyway.

ReputationRep:
    "Just pick one" is hard when politicians, particularly over in the states, are trying to ban people from using the toilet they find appropriate, which is what brought attention to this whole thing in the first place and led to more gender-neutral bathrooms being suggested as an option.

Ljubljana said there is no third chromosome combination, which is just plain false. There are many, many ways in which you can be biologically neither male nor female in the typical sense. It's also possible to have XY chromosomes and to naturally appear outwardly as a girl or vice-versa, to the extent that sometimes people don't realise they're intersex until they try to have kids and find out they're infertile. XY = Male and XX = Female is a huge oversimplification.
    Tbh though I would find it concerning if a man walked into the women's toilets, especially if there are young girls using them. If you are a man, use the men's toilets. I think that closes this matter.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh though I would find it concerning if a man walked into the women's toilets, especially if there are young girls using them. If you are a man, use the men's toilets. I think that closes this matter.
    It really doesn't, since a lot of men don't have XY chromosomes and a lot of people with XY chromosomes aren't men - and that's purely on 100% accepted biology before you even consider the idea of non-binary or trans people. It's pretty much impossible to find a 100% applicable definition of a 'man' or 'woman' - it's all to do with perceptions which are inherently subjective.

ReputationRep:

Then they are incorrect, but lots of people like to use the "Some people have abnormalities" argument to try and disprove the XY argument. Ok then those people are rather rare and should not really be thought of when we design toilets as we already have a disabled toilet that they can use if they want.

It is not a oversimplification it is a logical conclusion that an overwhelming majority of people with XX are Female and XY Male.

It would be like me trying to disprove white privilege by talking about albinoism in Africa

ReputationRep:
    It is sad to see that there is still so much hate towards transgender people.

ReputationRep:
    Then they are incorrect, but lots of people like to use the "Some people have abnormalities" argument to try and disprove the XY argument. Ok then those people are rather rare and should not really be thought of when we design toilets as we already have a disabled toilet that they can use if they want.

It is not a oversimplification it is a logical conclusion that an overwhelming majority of people with XX are Female and XY Male.

It would be like me trying to disprove white privilege by talking about albinoism in Africa
    Again, not that simple - you normally need to be registered disabled to use a disabled facility and being intersex doesn't count as a disability.

If people don't want gender neutral toilets then that's fine, but you have to accept the consequences of that - not everyone in the gendered toilets is going to match your definition of that gender. And honestly, if people had been allowed to use whatever bathroom seemed appropriate without hassle, none of this would be such an issue in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Again, not that simple - you normally need to be registered disabled to use a disabled facility and being intersex doesn't count as a disability.

If people don't want gender neutral toilets then that's fine, but you have to accept the consequences of that - not everyone in the gendered toilets is going to match your definition of that gender. And honestly, if people had been allowed to use whatever bathroom seemed appropriate without hassle, none of this would be such an issue in the first place.
    Prove me wrong but I think most places with disabled toilets just let anyone go in, I remember when I was on crutches with a cast it was very handy to use them, I know a few have radar keys but I dont really see many places with this system, but prove me wrong if you have other information as I seriously dont know.

If so then add a clause or something to say that trans people are allowed to use these toilets, I seriously see no problem with this as it solves pretty much all of the problems with minimal effort

ReputationRep:
    Based on gender views... The toilets should remain 'male' and 'female' as even though some people are gender neutral... A girl would not feel comfortable in a toilet whilst another guy is doing his business in the cubicle next to hers... This is a question of privacy not people's opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by constantine2016)
    It is sad to see that there is still so much hate towards transgender people.
    It is sad to see that you classify a difference of opinion as "hate". I can disagree with whatever you want to think you are and I can do this peacefully, I dont support violence or actual harrasment of these people.

I want to help these people and to stop the madness that is the current climate around gender and sex, it is becoming insanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloMrMagpie)
    My school has one gender neutral bathroom but the rest are normal bathrooms.
    Yea right. I'm sure they didn't add a facility. I've seen gender neutral bathrooms but they've only put signs on existing female and male bathrooms saying "anyone who identifies can use this facility." I've never seen a third bathroom created...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.