The Student Room Group

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Magdatrix >_<
I think the easiest way would be to relabel "disabled" toilet as "accessible" toilet - it's then there for anyone who, for whatever reason, can't use the gendered ones.

😄 that's a very interesting idea
Original post by Salt Queen
That's horrible that normal people are being forced to go on a quest for a toilet they feel comfortable in. I'll wait for non politically correct people with sense to show up, thanks anyway.

It’s literally less than a minute from where they were originally, it’s no quest. Literally every other bathroom is just a normal bathroom. I don’t see why you have such a problem with it.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
I really can't see the problem. It's not like they'd be in the same cubicle.

I know you strangely can't see the problem. If a man walks into the toilet I will instinctively feel threatened and I will defend myself at all costs. I guess he can explain his gender identity issues to someone else later. And the poor female wanting to be male who dares to go into male facility!!
Original post by HelloMrMagpie
It’s literally less than a minute from where they were originally, it’s no quest. Literally every other bathroom is just a normal bathroom. I don’t see why you have such a problem with it.

Obviously safety issues sharing a toilet with men while you're a woman or a guy walking in?! ... Don't act like I'm the odd one feeling threatened or worried for a trans female around a bunch of pissing men just because I'm not on this silly gender train. Rape is a thing you know.
Obviously safety issues sharing a toilet with men while you're a woman or a guy walking in?! ... Don't act like I'm the odd one feeling threatened or worried for a trans female around a bunch of pissing men just because I'm not on this silly gender train. Rape is a thing you know.

Got to say I’m not particularly worried about rape because I’m at school and most of the people in those bathrooms are like 12 years old. If you are worried then you just go in the other bathroom. It’s really not difficult. You’re making it seem more of a problem than it actually is.
Original post by ajayma
That’s just ridiculous . Why cater for people who clearly just want attention and to be different. For thousands of years of existence this has not been needed so why now , just because people are bored and so make up new things just to get attention.

If we're talking thousands of years back, the ancient Romans had public toilets that were open to everyone and literally nobody cared. In the U.K specifically, indoor plumping wasn't really a thing until the 1930's, so a lot of schools just had outhouses with no genders assigned. It's kinda naive of you to assume everyone's had the same bathroom system for thousands of years, the flush toilet only really came into light just over 100 years ago.

People also used to murder anyone who was transgender, so forgive them for not speaking out about this issue until now.
I think there is a danger that some children, especially girls, would fear going to the toilet at school. Either from the possibility of a boy seeing them, or thinking that boys are less clean.
Original post by HelloMrMagpie
Got to say I’m not particularly worried about rape because I’m at school and most of the people in those bathrooms are like 12 years old. If you are worried then you just go in the other bathroom. It’s really not difficult. You’re making it seem more of a problem than it actually is.

Oh so you're 12 years old now? Ok child. What have your parents been teaching you? And again I bet you made up the facility to push forward your own fantasy of sharing a toilet. And news flash 12 year olds have sex drives and 12 yr old girls get raped all the time! And no it's about principle but as you're 12 you don't even know what that means. Stop quoting me, child. How dare you say you're not worried about rape?!
Oh so you're 12 years old now? Ok child. What have your parents been teaching you? And again I bet you made up the facility to push forward your own fantasy of sharing a toilet. And news flash 12 year olds have sex drives and 12 yr old girls get raped all the time! And no it's about principle but as you're 12 you don't even know what that means. Stop quoting me, child. How dare you say you're not worried about rape?!

I’m not 12, I’m 17. I go to sixth form in a secondary school so yeah there are 12 year olds. I don’t know what you mean by “all the time” cause I don’t know anyone who’s been raped let alone at age 12. Not everyone has the same fears, I’m not worried about being raped because I don’t think it will happen to me. I realise the you can’t always control things like that but we’re talking about a secondary school. Also, calm down you’re way too angry about a bathroom right now.
Original post by AngryJellyfish
*******s.

I edited my original post to accommodate for the fact that I did the wrong configuration for female (YY instead of XX)
I know you strangely can't see the problem. If a man walks into the toilet I will instinctively feel threatened and I will defend myself at all costs.

Obviously safety issues sharing a toilet with men while you're a woman or a guy walking in?! ...

Again, he wouldn't be in the same cubicle as you.

Don't act like I'm the odd one feeling threatened or worried for a trans female around a bunch of pissing men just because I'm not on this silly gender train. Rape is a thing you know.

Can you provide stats proving that sexual assaults are more likely to happen in gender neutral facilities, or from trans people using the facilities of the gender they identify as?
Original post by eden3
you mean XX... lmao

Yes I do *facepalm*... I've changed my original statement, even though I got an A*, I was advised not to take bio A level :smile:
Schools should be investing into learning, not investing into gender-neutral toilets to satisfy a minority.
Definitely not. These are teenagers, we are talking about. There'd be an awful lot of sex.
It makes sense to have a separate disabled bathroom. That could also serve as a gender neutral bathroom.
Third Transgender toilets - No. The state (and state institutions) should not be pandering to people who represent a very small minority. It is like saying schools should let Muslim students pray on a Friday.

Gender neutral toilets - Not against in principle but you'd end up with the more sexually experienced students going at it in the bathrooms or something. Not a good idea in practise.

No sir.. in this case it would be a poor and needless change to move against the status-quo of toilets.
Original post by Rakas21
Third Transgender toilets - No. The state (and state institutions) should not be pandering to people who represent a very small minority. It is like saying schools should let Muslim students pray on a Friday.

Gender neutral toilets - Not against in principle but you'd end up with the more sexually experienced students going at it in the bathrooms or something. Not a good idea in practise.

No sir.. in this case it would be a poor and needless change to move against the status-quo of toilets.

In agreement with you on the transgender toilet thing but with gender neutral toilets I question your idea of them. The ones I've seen that work brilliantly are quite spacious rooms where sinks and the like are on the right and on the left of the room are properly constructed cubicles. It's unaimaginable for students to go at it so we're left with students possibly having sex in the cubicles which could happen irrespective of whether the toilet is gender neutral or not.
Absolutely not. This political correctness bull**** will encourage children to question themselves and support those folk with mental health issues flying under the cover of the rainbows 🌈
For a change I haven't got time to read through (only) three pages of this, but the short answer is: only if there is enough money. But since many/most state schools don't have enough money for books, gender neutral toilets cannot feature on the to-do list.

Sorry if I am repeating someone.
So......with the points in mind. If someone LOOKS male. They sound male, have a beard, have mens clothing, play in the mens category, have no breats, have undergone bottom surgery. BUT they were assigned female at birth, do you want them in the women's room? Also.....if they pass....how will you know? :O

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending