Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Yea right. I'm sure they didn't add a facility. I've seen gender neutral bathrooms but they've only put signs on existing female and male bathrooms saying "anyone who identifies can use this facility." I've never seen a third bathroom created...
    They were building a new block anyway and when they built it they just put gender neutral bathrooms in instead of gender specific bathrooms.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I think the easiest way would be to relabel "disabled" toilet as "accessible" toilet - it's then there for anyone who, for whatever reason, can't use the gendered ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloMrMagpie)
    They were building a new block anyway and when they built it they just put gender neutral bathrooms in instead of gender specific bathrooms.
    😕 yea right. They can't do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    It is sad to see that you classify a difference of opinion as "hate". I can disagree with whatever you want to think you are and I can do this peacefully, I dont support violence or actual harrasment of these people.

I want to help these people and to stop the madness that is the current climate around gender and sex, it is becoming insanity
    I'm directing this to the users who were calling transgender people 'freaks' and just blatantly insulting them. There is a difference between disagreeing with transgenderism and using ad-hoc attacks against them.

Also, I'm not transgender. I just believe people have a right to vocalise their identity without being attacked for it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    ...why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    ...why not?
    Are you saying they can? It's depriving anyone in that block of their rights, they're being forced to use a toilet with someone of a different sex whether they want to or not with no other option .

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what to say to that. They did. Soooo...
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying they can?
    :ottid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    well English schools have managed perfectly well without for the last thousand years :dontknow:
    I don't like that sort of logic. Humanity limped along for thousands of years without vaccines and computers, and probably considered itself to be doing perfectly well. All the same in this case I don't think gender-neutral loos are that important.

ReputationRep:
    :ottid:
    I added more into my response...

I said it deprives people in that block of their rights when they have no other option. They should also have regular gender specific toilets otherwise people are being forced to use the bathroom with someone of a different gender how can you not see the problem unless this is some weird fantasy of yours.

I don't believe you though so...

ReputationRep:
    Are you saying they can? It's depriving anyone in that block of their rights, they're being forced to use a toilet with someone of a different sex whether they want to or not with no other option .
    They aren’t forced to do anything. They can easily walk to the next block and use the bathroom there.

ReputationRep:
    They aren’t forced to do anything. They can easily walk to the next block and use the bathroom there.
    That's horrible that normal people are being forced to go on a quest for a toilet they feel comfortable in. I'll wait for non politically correct people with sense to show up, thanks anyway.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I added more into my response...

I said it deprives people in that block of their rights when they have no other option. They should also have regular gender specific toilets otherwise people are being forced to use the bathroom with someone of a different gender how can you not see the problem unless this is some weird fantasy of yours.
    I really can't see the problem. It's not like they'd be in the same cubicle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magdatrix >_<)
    I think the easiest way would be to relabel "disabled" toilet as "accessible" toilet - it's then there for anyone who, for whatever reason, can't use the gendered ones.
    😄 that's a very interesting idea

ReputationRep:
    That's horrible that normal people are being forced to go on a quest for a toilet they feel comfortable in. I'll wait for non politically correct people with sense to show up, thanks anyway.
    It’s literally less than a minute from where they were originally, it’s no quest. Literally every other bathroom is just a normal bathroom. I don’t see why you have such a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    I really can't see the problem. It's not like they'd be in the same cubicle.
    I know you strangely can't see the problem. If a man walks into the toilet I will instinctively feel threatened and I will defend myself at all costs. I guess he can explain his gender identity issues to someone else later. And the poor female wanting to be male who dares to go into male facility!!

ReputationRep:
    It’s literally less than a minute from where they were originally, it’s no quest. Literally every other bathroom is just a normal bathroom. I don’t see why you have such a problem with it.
    Obviously safety issues sharing a toilet with men while you're a woman or a guy walking in?! ... Don't act like I'm the odd one feeling threatened or worried for a trans female around a bunch of pissing men just because I'm not on this silly gender train. Rape is a thing you know.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously safety issues sharing a toilet with men while you're a woman or a guy walking in?! ... Don't act like I'm the odd one feeling threatened or worried for a trans female around a bunch of pissing men just because I'm not on this silly gender train. Rape is a thing you know.
    Got to say I’m not particularly worried about rape because I’m at school and most of the people in those bathrooms are like 12 years old. If you are worried then you just go in the other bathroom. It’s really not difficult. You’re making it seem more of a problem than it actually is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajayma)
    That’s just ridiculous . Why cater for people who clearly just want attention and to be different. For thousands of years of existence this has not been needed so why now , just because people are bored and so make up new things just to get attention.
    If we're talking thousands of years back, the ancient Romans had public toilets that were open to everyone and literally nobody cared. In the U.K specifically, indoor plumping wasn't really a thing until the 1930's, so a lot of schools just had outhouses with no genders assigned. It's kinda naive of you to assume everyone's had the same bathroom system for thousands of years, the flush toilet only really came into light just over 100 years ago.

People also used to murder anyone who was transgender, so forgive them for not speaking out about this issue until now.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a danger that some children, especially girls, would fear going to the toilet at school. Either from the possibility of a boy seeing them, or thinking that boys are less clean.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.