Turn on thread page Beta

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Third Transgender toilets - No. The state (and state institutions) should not be pandering to people who represent a very small minority. It is like saying schools should let Muslim students pray on a Friday.

Gender neutral toilets - Not against in principle but you'd end up with the more sexually experienced students going at it in the bathrooms or something. Not a good idea in practise.

No sir.. in this case it would be a poor and needless change to move against the status-quo of toilets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Third Transgender toilets - No. The state (and state institutions) should not be pandering to people who represent a very small minority. It is like saying schools should let Muslim students pray on a Friday.

Gender neutral toilets - Not against in principle but you'd end up with the more sexually experienced students going at it in the bathrooms or something. Not a good idea in practise.

No sir.. in this case it would be a poor and needless change to move against the status-quo of toilets.
    In agreement with you on the transgender toilet thing but with gender neutral toilets I question your idea of them. The ones I've seen that work brilliantly are quite spacious rooms where sinks and the like are on the right and on the left of the room are properly constructed cubicles. It's unaimaginable for students to go at it so we're left with students possibly having sex in the cubicles which could happen irrespective of whether the toilet is gender neutral or not.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. This political correctness bull**** will encourage children to question themselves and support those folk with mental health issues flying under the cover of the rainbows 🌈
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    For a change I haven't got time to read through (only) three pages of this, but the short answer is: only if there is enough money. But since many/most state schools don't have enough money for books, gender neutral toilets cannot feature on the to-do list.

Sorry if I am repeating someone.

ReputationRep:
    So......with the points in mind. If someone LOOKS male. They sound male, have a beard, have mens clothing, play in the mens category, have no breats, have undergone bottom surgery. BUT they were assigned female at birth, do you want them in the women's room? Also.....if they pass....how will you know? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Yes there’s plenty of evidence. Any more questions?
    Not that I can find, nor any that you've been able to show. So I'm guessing it's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    My main issue with this is, most people arguments are based around bullying. Bullying wouldnt be a issue if schools had more discipline.

on the whole gender neutral bathroom thing you cant have a sex change before 18 so schools shouldnt allow students of the wrong gender to use that toilet.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...rictest-school

ReputationRep:
    Gender neutral doesn't exist, you are male or female.

ReputationRep:
    This thread actually makes me physically sick. Sometimes I wonder why I'm not out as trans to lots of people and then I see something like this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to disagree with a lot people but I think they're fine. My uni has gender-neutral toilets in our student union area and I think it's great. There's no need to have separate toilets. We all use it for the same thing.
    Also, all those against it really need to think about their toilets at home, they're gender neutral aren't they? I'm pretty sure all of you share bathrooms with your mum/dad/sister/brother. Or if u have friends round u allow them to use your toilet. You don't say to them, no u can't use it because it's only for boys/girls. So I think it's a good idea in schools.

ReputationRep:
    Serious question for transgender people: is it impossible for you to use gendered toilet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    Tell me what you think.
    so that the 2 people in a school who are gender neutral can use them? ****ing no

ReputationRep:
    I say yes but not to appease any one group. It's only because of convention that bathrooms are segregated- I don't think there's any valid reason why they ought to kept that way.
    Sexual assault? There's literally nothing stopping a man/woman from waltzing into the bathrooms of the opposite sex and assaulting the occupants there. We know for a fact that there many cases of hidden cameras in bathrooms that were set up by someone of the opposite sex. Did segregation prevent such things from happening?
    Also, what's to stop same-sex assaults?

I'd argue that integration would save space and allow for a more economical use of real estate.

ReputationRep:
    there's literally nothing wrong with having gender neutral toilets. it's hardly an inconvenience and it's not a hassle tbh. my school just had open toilet "blocks" with single stalls with a toilet and a toilet roll holder in each one, then a large communal sink or row of small sinks outside of it. nothing super special, nothing fancy, nothing TRIGGERING for the hard right "who's ****ing gender neutral anyway" ****s or the hard left "everyone's a special snowflake if you believe enough" guys. the only reason we even had assigned gender stalls was bc the school was too cheap to put a sanitary bin in all of them. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphonious)
    Tell me what you think.
    they already exist and are called the disabled toilet.

if people argue for bigger ones I have no clue what the obsession is with wanting boys and girls to be allowed in the same bathroom at a time as each other.

If I was a girl I wouldn't want to be in the same bathroom as boys, especially teens that opens up wayy too many things there.

And as a guy, I don't want chicks in my bathroom.

ReputationRep:
    no
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    My uni has them, pretty much every woman complains that us blokes piss everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    no. What a moronic and unpractical idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeaTea)
    there's literally nothing wrong with having gender neutral toilets.
    There is an issue here and that is that it is yet another example of a group (or in this case two competing groups) wishing to impose its social views on people who do not hold those views.

This is increasingly a problem and why is this the case? It is the pernicious effect of the Equalities Act.

Before 2010 if you wished to change social attitudes to anything or you wished to defend a traditional opinion that was no longer the majority view, and you wanted legal support for this, you had to persuade politicians and those politicians would craft a legislative compromise. So when in 1965 racial discrimination was outlawed, the compromise effectively saved Caribbean Clubs and the like. When abortion was legalised later in that decade, steps were taken to avoid forcing the consciences of Catholic doctors and nurses.

The Equalities Act means that combatants in this social warfare no longer have to persuade politicians of the merits of their cause with the likelihood that the rights of those with other views have to be respected. The Equallities Act holds open the prospect or the threat that one side may achieve a total victory.

So what has this to do with toilets? Before 2010 campaigners for gender neutral toilets would be seeking legislation that required schools to provide gender neutral toilets. That legislation would almost certainly have set minimum and maximum quotas for such toilets to that schools had to meet need discretely but those unhappy about them could equally quietly opt out of using them.

Now, it is clear that the campaigners are running arguments that would potentially render any gender specific toilet unlawful under the Equalities Act and opponents are unwilling to countenance any obligation to provide any such toilets for fear that might be the case.

A majority of people feel uncomfortable about making a B&B operator who has made known his opposition to gay marriage take a booking from a gay couple being deliberately provocative. Equally a majority of people would feel uncomfortable if a hotel chain could simply refusing to accept bookings from gay couples at its hundreds of hotels. Parliament can craft legislative compromises. Parliament can see the difference between a burqua and a small crucifix. The Equalities Act can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StevetheIcecube)
    This thread actually makes me physically sick. Sometimes I wonder why I'm not out as trans to lots of people and then I see something like this.
    Just ignore these people. The fact that they post these views online anonymously shows that they know their comments would be unacceptable in real life. The majority of people have no problem with transgender people.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.