Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Debate: Should schools have gender-neutral bathrooms for transgender students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HelloMrMagpie)
    Got to say I’m not particularly worried about rape because I’m at school and most of the people in those bathrooms are like 12 years old. If you are worried then you just go in the other bathroom. It’s really not difficult. You’re making it seem more of a problem than it actually is.
    Oh so you're 12 years old now? Ok child. What have your parents been teaching you? And again I bet you made up the facility to push forward your own fantasy of sharing a toilet. And news flash 12 year olds have sex drives and 12 yr old girls get raped all the time! And no it's about principle but as you're 12 you don't even know what that means. Stop quoting me, child. How dare you say you're not worried about rape?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salt Queen)
    Oh so you're 12 years old now? Ok child. What have your parents been teaching you? And again I bet you made up the facility to push forward your own fantasy of sharing a toilet. And news flash 12 year olds have sex drives and 12 yr old girls get raped all the time! And no it's about principle but as you're 12 you don't even know what that means. Stop quoting me, child. How dare you say you're not worried about rape?!
    I’m not 12, I’m 17. I go to sixth form in a secondary school so yeah there are 12 year olds. I don’t know what you mean by “all the time” cause I don’t know anyone who’s been raped let alone at age 12. Not everyone has the same fears, I’m not worried about being raped because I don’t think it will happen to me. I realise the you can’t always control things like that but we’re talking about a secondary school. Also, calm down you’re way too angry about a bathroom right now.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryJellyfish)
    *******s.
    I edited my original post to accommodate for the fact that I did the wrong configuration for female (YY instead of XX)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I know you strangely can't see the problem. If a man walks into the toilet I will instinctively feel threatened and I will defend myself at all costs.
    Obviously safety issues sharing a toilet with men while you're a woman or a guy walking in?! ...
    Again, he wouldn't be in the same cubicle as you.

Don't act like I'm the odd one feeling threatened or worried for a trans female around a bunch of pissing men just because I'm not on this silly gender train. Rape is a thing you know.
    Can you provide stats proving that sexual assaults are more likely to happen in gender neutral facilities, or from trans people using the facilities of the gender they identify as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden3)
    you mean XX... lmao
    Yes I do *facepalm*... I've changed my original statement, even though I got an A*, I was advised not to take bio A level
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Schools should be investing into learning, not investing into gender-neutral toilets to satisfy a minority.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not. These are teenagers, we are talking about. There'd be an awful lot of sex.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense to have a separate disabled bathroom. That could also serve as a gender neutral bathroom.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Third Transgender toilets - No. The state (and state institutions) should not be pandering to people who represent a very small minority. It is like saying schools should let Muslim students pray on a Friday.

Gender neutral toilets - Not against in principle but you'd end up with the more sexually experienced students going at it in the bathrooms or something. Not a good idea in practise.

No sir.. in this case it would be a poor and needless change to move against the status-quo of toilets.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Third Transgender toilets - No. The state (and state institutions) should not be pandering to people who represent a very small minority. It is like saying schools should let Muslim students pray on a Friday.

Gender neutral toilets - Not against in principle but you'd end up with the more sexually experienced students going at it in the bathrooms or something. Not a good idea in practise.

No sir.. in this case it would be a poor and needless change to move against the status-quo of toilets.
    In agreement with you on the transgender toilet thing but with gender neutral toilets I question your idea of them. The ones I've seen that work brilliantly are quite spacious rooms where sinks and the like are on the right and on the left of the room are properly constructed cubicles. It's unaimaginable for students to go at it so we're left with students possibly having sex in the cubicles which could happen irrespective of whether the toilet is gender neutral or not.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. This political correctness bull**** will encourage children to question themselves and support those folk with mental health issues flying under the cover of the rainbows 🌈

ReputationRep:
    For a change I haven't got time to read through (only) three pages of this, but the short answer is: only if there is enough money. But since many/most state schools don't have enough money for books, gender neutral toilets cannot feature on the to-do list.

Sorry if I am repeating someone.

ReputationRep:
    So......with the points in mind. If someone LOOKS male. They sound male, have a beard, have mens clothing, play in the mens category, have no breats, have undergone bottom surgery. BUT they were assigned female at birth, do you want them in the women's room? Also.....if they pass....how will you know? :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Yes there’s plenty of evidence. Any more questions?
    Not that I can find, nor any that you've been able to show. So I'm guessing it's nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arnaez4)
    Not that I can find, nor any that you've been able to show. So I'm guessing it's nonsense.
    You guessed wrong. But its to be expected from someone who admits they don’t have a clue what they’re talking about.

ReputationRep:
    My main issue with this is, most people arguments are based around bullying. Bullying wouldnt be a issue if schools had more discipline.

on the whole gender neutral bathroom thing you cant have a sex change before 18 so schools shouldnt allow students of the wrong gender to use that toilet.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...rictest-school

ReputationRep:
    Gender neutral doesn't exist, you are male or female.

ReputationRep:
    This thread actually makes me physically sick. Sometimes I wonder why I'm not out as trans to lots of people and then I see something like this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to disagree with a lot people but I think they're fine. My uni has gender-neutral toilets in our student union area and I think it's great. There's no need to have separate toilets. We all use it for the same thing.
    Also, all those against it really need to think about their toilets at home, they're gender neutral aren't they? I'm pretty sure all of you share bathrooms with your mum/dad/sister/brother. Or if u have friends round u allow them to use your toilet. You don't say to them, no u can't use it because it's only for boys/girls. So I think it's a good idea in schools.

ReputationRep:
    Serious question for transgender people: is it impossible for you to use gendered toilet?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.