Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey bud, don’t wanna sound like a creep ahahah but I seen you on a lot of car threads and being a fanatic and enthusiast myself it’s pretty obvious you actually know about your stuff from what I’ve seen.

I really would like to learn more though as I feel my current knowledge isn’t 100%!

Anyway, I had a question if that’s alright? I recently passed and have an old corsa. When it rains I can’t see for **** because the wipers smudge the screen and the fan doesn’t help. Is this a wiper problem and should I get new ones or what do you think?

Appreciate it bud
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gapyearlads)
    Hey bud, don’t wanna sound like a creep ahahah but I seen you on a lot of car threads and being a fanatic and enthusiast myself it’s pretty obvious you actually know about your stuff from what I’ve seen.

I really would like to learn more though as I feel my current knowledge isn’t 100%!

Anyway, I had a question if that’s alright? I recently passed and have an old corsa. When it rains I can’t see for **** because the wipers smudge the screen and the fan doesn’t help. Is this a wiper problem and should I get new ones or what do you think?

Appreciate it bud
    You should really make a new thread so other people can see your problem and provide input. Tagging RoyalSheepy to help you out with that.

I'd say you should probably get some new wiper blades - decent quality ones are available quite cheaply. Also, give your windscreen a good clean to remove any built up grease and wax.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Appreciate it bud
    Post moved to a brand new thread

Thank you for the tag IWMTom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWMTom)
    You should really make a new thread so other people can see your problem and provide input. Tagging RoyalSheepy to help you out with that.

I'd say you should probably get some new wiper blades - decent quality ones are available quite cheaply. Also, give your windscreen a good clean to remove any built up grease and wax.
    Ah thanks!

Also have a question about tyres? Recent mot says rear tyres have perished? First how did this happen as my car is front wheel drive!

Anyway I’m thinking about investing in 2 new rear tyres. This is the dilemma though. Front ones are continental eco but having researched they are grade E for fuel economy. So I found a pair of Dunlop with Grade B fuel economy and Grade C wet handling so was thinking about getting them?

Can you get winter tyres on the back and summer on the front? Is it allowed? What effect will it have? Will I not need to change it back to summer tyres in summer though?

Thought about winter tyres since winter is close but don’t want winter tyres if no snow and don’t summer tyres if snow and don’t want all season because they are no great I hear just as all round?

So if I entered my tire details correctly then the Dunlop tyres look good? Just don’t want to spend too much on them but not cheap stuff either?

Just worried as to what to do after winter do I need to change them or not and should I just get summer ones? What would you do and what do you think?

Thanks so much bro! You know so much about cars and stuff, where do you learn this stuff? I really want to learn more! Like I’d be willing to buy a book and memorise it!!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Also have a question about tyres? Recent mot says rear tyres have perished? First how did this happen as my car is front wheel drive!
    Front wheel drive or not, your rear wheels are still rolling along the road, and will wear down over time, albeit slower than your front tyres.

Anyway I’m thinking about investing in 2 new rear tyres. This is the dilemma though. Front ones are continental eco but having researched they are grade E for fuel economy. So I found a pair of Dunlop with Grade B fuel economy and Grade C wet handling so was thinking about getting them?
    I wouldn't trust the EU gradings all that much, to be honest. Go for something with decent reviews, at a decent price. Avoid budget tyres.

Can you get winter tyres on the back and summer on the front? Is it allowed? What effect will it have? Will I not need to change it back to summer tyres in summer though?

Thought about winter tyres since winter is close but don’t want winter tyres if no snow and don’t summer tyres if snow and don’t want all season because they are no great I hear just as all round?

Just worried as to what to do after winter do I need to change them or not and should I just get summer ones? What would you do and what do you think
    I wouldn't really bother with winter tyres in the UK unless you like in a place that gets a serious amount of snow consistently throughout the winter season (like the Scottish highlands).

ReputationRep:
    Front wheel drive or not, your rear wheels are still rolling along the road, and will wear down over time, albeit slower than your front tyres.

I wouldn't trust the EU gradings all that much, to be honest. Go for something with decent reviews, at a decent price. Avoid budget tyres.

I wouldn't really bother with winter tyres in the UK unless you like in a place that gets a serious amount of snow consistently throughout the winter season (like the Scottish highlands).
    Ah I see. Where do you buy tyres from?

I have been watching car throttle more often and have realised I don't exactly use the right stuff to wash my car. What items do you use? Like could you list all of them because I normally follow my dad who uses like fairy liquid hahahaha

Because idk if I should be using car shampoo? Washing mitts instead? Spray for tyres/what to use for alloys? Does car wax make a difference? All this kind of thing. I know my car is old I said but I will hopefully get a new car very soon and want it to look popping if ygm haha?

Also you ever cleaned the actual engine bay? What products to use for that?

Lastly, I used a spray and a normal yellow cloth to clean the inside of my car the other day including the inside of the windscreen. BIG MISTAKE. I can only assume I did something wrong because 2 hours later the windscreen had so many marks (it was a sunny day) I couldn't see jack sh*t

Really appreciate the help bro!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see. Where do you buy tyres from?
    I exclusively buy from BlackCircles.com; they're always the cheapest.

I have been watching car throttle more often and have realised I don't exactly use the right stuff to wash my car. What items do you use? Like could you list all of them because I normally follow my dad who uses like fairy liquid hahahaha
    Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner
    Pressure wash off
    Pro-Kleen Snow Foam
    Pressure wash off
    Hand wash with dual bucket system - I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, with a Meguiars Lambs Wool mit
    Pressure wash off
    Meguiars Tyre Gel

That's my standard wash procedure for the exterior.

Because idk if I should be using car shampoo? Washing mitts instead? Spray for tyres/what to use for alloys? Does car wax make a difference? All this kind of thing. I know my car is old I said but I will hopefully get a new car very soon and want it to look popping if ygm haha?
    Never ever use a sponge, and always aim to use two buckets - one for soapy water, the other for clean water to rinse your mit with.

You don't need to wax all that often, only really after polishing which you should do at most every 3 months, but really it can go for about 6 months. When the water stops beading up effectively, wax it.

Also you ever cleaned the actual engine bay? What products to use for that?
    Just some degreaser will do, really, but I believe Autoglym do a fantastic spray.

Lastly, I used a spray and a normal yellow cloth to clean the inside of my car the other day including the inside of the windscreen. BIG MISTAKE. I can only assume I did something wrong because 2 hours later the windscreen had so many marks (it was a sunny day) I couldn't see jack sh*t
    I use Autoglym Fast Glass for the interior glass, but there's plenty of glass cleaners on the market - just choose a decent brand.

ReputationRep:
    I exclusively buy from BlackCircles.com; they're always the cheapest.

Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel Cleaner
    Pressure wash off
    Pro-Kleen Snow Foam
    Pressure wash off
    Hand wash with dual bucket system - I use Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax, with a Meguiars Lambs Wool mit
    Pressure wash off
    Meguiars Tyre Gel

That's my standard wash procedure for the exterior.

Never ever use a sponge, and always aim to use two buckets - one for soapy water, the other for clean water to rinse your mit with.

You don't need to wax all that often, only really after polishing which you should do at most every 3 months, but really it can go for about 6 months. When the water stops beading up effectively, wax it.

Just some degreaser will do, really, but I believe Autoglym do a fantastic spray.

I use Autoglym Fast Glass for the interior glass, but there's plenty of glass cleaners on the market - just choose a decent brand.
    Wow, your car must sick! What do you drive if you don't mind me asking?

Also for the products I am aware thousands of companies do the same thing so how to know which ones tend to be the best or high-end without reading all the reviews? Like any companies that tend to be good always.

Like this Autoglym sounds reliable and good and so does blackcircles althhough they are for tyres.

And also for my windscreen wipers, like I know that Bosch is a good brand so I think I'll go for em!

Is there any websites to buy these kind of parts. new and safely and reliably? A bit like blackcircles but or other stuff!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Wow, your car must sick! What do you drive if you don't mind me asking?
    14 plate MK7 Golf Match 1.6TDI in Pure White.

Also for the products I am aware thousands of companies do the same thing so how to know which ones tend to be the best or high-end without reading all the reviews? Like any companies that tend to be good always.

Like this Autoglym sounds reliable and good and so does blackcircles althhough they are for tyres.
    Autoglym and Meguiars are my favourite detailing brands. The expensive stuff tends to be the best, tbh.

And also for my windscreen wipers, like I know that Bosch is a good brand so I think I'll go for em!
    Bosch Aerotwin are the best wipers money can buy - they clean so well!

Is there any websites to buy these kind of parts. new and safely and reliably? A bit like blackcircles but or other stuff!
    EuroCarParts is good for stuff like this, but I actually managed to pick my most recent set of wiper blades up from Amazon (with Prime delivery!) for a few quid less than ECP.

ReputationRep:
    EuroCarParts is good for stuff like this, but I actually managed to pick my most recent set of wiper blades up from Amazon (with Prime delivery!) for a few quid less than ECP.
    Very nice stuff! I called up Costco today and their tyre prices are unbelievably cheap for the same ones! Highly suggest you try them in future, keep in mind you have to be a member.

Question. It was raining today and my wheels kept spinning at roundabouts despit keeping it at low revs on purpose like 1.5-2k, slow clutch and after inspection, tyres look okay. This is why I was considering new tyres.

This has happened quite a lot before very recently, all in the rain and all at roundabouts. Like wtf. I’m going slow on purpose. Is it something to do with tyres.

In fact I was so confused on the same rainy day I pulled up beside an empty road and couldn’t do wheelspins even at 4.5k never mind2! What is going on!

This is why I was thinking of tyres but not sure now. Can’t be pressure I don’t think cos I checked lt last week and it was in accordance with manual specifications
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Very nice stuff! I called up Costco today and their tyre prices are unbelievably cheap for the same ones! Highly suggest you try them in future, keep in mind you have to be a member.

Question. It was raining today and my wheels kept spinning at roundabouts despit keeping it at low revs on purpose like 1.5-2k, slow clutch and after inspection, tyres look okay. This is why I was considering new tyres.

This has happened quite a lot before very recently, all in the rain and all at roundabouts. Like wtf. I’m going slow on purpose. Is it something to do with tyres.

In fact I was so confused on the same rainy day I pulled up beside an empty road and couldn’t do wheelspins even at 4.5k never mind2! What is going on!

This is why I was thinking of tyres but not sure now. Can’t be pressure I don’t think cos I checked lt last week and it was in accordance with manual specifications
    I've always found Costco tyres to be more expensive, as you have to factor in the additional £8 fitting cost per corner.

Your tyres might just be awful in the wet. How much tread is left? Anything below about 3mm is detrimental to wet grip.

ReputationRep:
    I've always found Costco tyres to be more expensive, as you have to factor in the additional £8 fitting cost per corner.

Your tyres might just be awful in the wet. How much tread is left? Anything below about 3mm is detrimental to wet grip.
    Oh wow really? My dad phoned them up today and it was around £45 per tyre including fitting for some Bridgestone ones! Bridgestone is pretty decent I believe?

Oh yh that's a good point. Now that I think of it it says on them "Saves Fuel" so it may not be great in the wet. Ideally to sort this would I need front or rear tyres or all, front wheel drive Corsa?

Because my original thinking was my rear tyres are slightly cracked which was picked up as simply an advisory notice on my MOT, so I was going to treat my car to new rear's. However, the car has recently been an ass in the rain so it is going to get a spanking before anything now hahahahahaha. What you think, rear, front or all 4 new tyres??
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow really? My dad phoned them up today and it was around £45 per tyre including fitting for some Bridgestone ones! Bridgestone is pretty decent I believe?

Oh yh that's a good point. Now that I think of it it says on them "Saves Fuel" so it may not be great in the wet. Ideally to sort this would I need front or rear tyres or all, front wheel drive Corsa?

Because my original thinking was my rear tyres are slightly cracked which was picked up as simply an advisory notice on my MOT, so I was going to treat my car to new rear's. However, the car has recently been an ass in the rain so it is going to get a spanking before anything now hahahahahaha. What you think, rear, front or all 4 new tyres??
    £45 per tyre including fitting and VAT? That's £37 per tyre.. seems unlikely for Costco. I've only ever seen Michelin (and occasionally Goodyear) stocked in my tyre bay. Are you sure it's Costco?

Replace all four for best grip.

ReputationRep:
    £45 per tyre including fitting and VAT? That's £37 per tyre.. seems unlikely for Costco. I've only ever seen Michelin (and occasionally Goodyear) stocked in my tyre bay. Are you sure it's Costco?

Replace all four for best grip.
    Yeah, Costco. Yeah, they said they had Michelin I am pretty sure too. It sounded like they didn't have much in store as they did mention they would need to order them in if it was a different brand.

Ahhh. I just hope they make a difference for nearly 200 quid. See if you do get new tyres, do you have to drive differently or is that just in f1 where they warm up the tires hahahahah?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Costco. Yeah, they said they had Michelin I am pretty sure too. It sounded like they didn't have much in store as they did mention they would need to order them in if it was a different brand.

Ahhh. I just hope they make a difference for nearly 200 quid. See if you do get new tyres, do you have to drive differently or is that just in f1 where they warm up the tires hahahahah?
    They shouldn't change the way you drive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.