Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just switched from product design to computer science GCSE, and I had my first lesson today. I loved it!! What sort of things will we learn about? I forgot to ask my teacher :-/
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Study: Hardware (CPU, embedded systems, components of a computer,) Python programming, computer systems (inc networks.) those are the 3 big topics all obviously have more smaller topics. To help with the programming I’d do a tutorial on codecademy.com or start practising on your PC at home. It also helps to be decent at maths.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    In the OCR revision guide:

Component 1 - Computer systems
    Section one - components of a computer system
    Section two - networks
    Section three - issues (ethics, environment, all that boring stuff)

Component 2 - Computational Thinking, Algorithms and Programming
    Section four - Algorithms
    Section five - Programming
    Section six - Design, testing and integrated development environments
    Section seven - Data representation (binary, logic, hexadecimals)

And then component 3 isn't in the revision guide because it's the controlled assessment where you sit in a computer room with no access to internet and code a task that the exam board sets you. You're allowed certain materials but you can't take anything in or out of the room. Programming's actually a tiny part of computer science, I wish it was more of it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.