Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I’m a mature student who has recently completed a level 3 extended diploma in engineering in addition to a maths A-level. I’m currently searching for an undergraduate course in Aerospace engineering but having difficulty telling which universities will accept my qualifications. From my research I’ve found that although BTECs are supposedly worth 3 a-levels in terms of UCAS points, it would seem most of the top universities won’t accept them.

My overall BTEC grade was D*D*D* - Equivalent to 168 UCASS tariff points

And I got an A in A-level maths - Equivalent to 48 UCASS tariff points

With these grades I was hoping someone would be able to tell me which would be some of the best universities I might have a chance of getting into to study Aerospace engineering. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you very much in advance.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kambu)
    Hi everyone,

I’m a mature student who has recently completed a level 3 extended diploma in engineering in addition to a maths A-level. I’m currently searching for an undergraduate course in Aerospace engineering but having difficulty telling which universities will accept my qualifications. From my research I’ve found that although BTECs are supposedly worth 3 a-levels in terms of UCAS points, it would seem most of the top universities won’t accept them.

My overall BTEC grade was D*D*D* - Equivalent to 168 UCASS tariff points

And I got an A in A-level maths - Equivalent to 48 UCASS tariff points

With these grades I was hoping someone would be able to tell me which would be some of the best universities I might have a chance of getting into to study Aerospace engineering. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thank you very much in advance.
    The a level maths would help a lot, from a quick look on ucas there are plenty of options available to you, league tables certainly aren't everything but it looks like you could go to bristol which is quite high in them

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine as long as you've got the BTEC and A level maths. I'm actually pretty surprised you haven't found a top uni which will accept your grades. After having a quick look at both Nottingham and Sheffield, both of them accept it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.