Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give me helpful advice on classroom management? The teacher i was assignes to who mentors me now doesn't give me helpful advice and I must admit that her behaviour in that regard often seems unprofessional. It also doesn't help that I am slight in build and have a quiet voice(I have to really raise my voice for everyone in class to hear me during lesson).
    So please,any strategy or advice would be welcome.
    PS. I teach English (EFL) at a public high school ,tenth grade (About 40 students each classroom).

ReputationRep:
    Oh crumbs. It is one of those things that takes quite a while to perfect and if you are in your training, you will receive various training sessions on behaviour management. However, for what it is worth:

- Always make sure your class are entirely silent when you are talking. If someone is talking, stop and wait for silence. If you have to wait 5 minutes for silence, so be it - just add that time on to the end of your lesson if break, lunch or last lesson
    - Always say what your expectations for behaviour are "I expect you to be silent when I am talking. I listen to you. You will listen to me."
    - What is the school behaviour policy? Use it. We have the C system, so it is C1 (warning) then C2 (second warning) and a C3 is a detention etc. Use the school behaviour policy if people break the rules you set out.
    - Be positive. Praise and praise again. Can you award merits of house points - if so do it! Positive praise is so much more valuable than negative sticks.

After that, it is a judgement call and is really really hard. The key is consistency, but in a class of characters this is easier said than done. Go and observe teachers who are known to have good behaviour management abilities and observe everything they do about behaviour from verbal, non-verbal and school behaviour policy interventions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solie)
    Can someone please give me helpful advice on classroom management? The teacher i was assignes to who mentors me now doesn't give me helpful advice and I must admit that her behaviour in that regard often seems unprofessional. It also doesn't help that I am slight in build and have a quiet voice(I have to really raise my voice for everyone in class to hear me during lesson).
    So please,any strategy or advice would be welcome.
    PS. I teach English (EFL) at a public high school ,tenth grade (About 40 students each classroom).
    A chap called Tom Bennett has doen lots of great work on behaviour in classrooms..he was employed by the edu sec as a behaviour tsar...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...upil-behaviour

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you can quickly do a course to strategically adhere to teachers to make optimum use of time by instilling discipline and giving instructions in an efficient manner.
    You can inquire about the course details at Asian college of teachers, classroom management certificate
    I just heard they offer some sound techniques, not too sure how will be beneficial to address customised tips or tricks. Maybe the trainers through their experiences can come up with something worthy for you.

ReputationRep:
    Have you read Teach Like a Champion? You might find it useful Your approach is really going to depend on the class. Some will respond well to names on the board for students doing the right thing (seems like something that shouldn't work, but it really does), some will require you to just stand, hold firm and wait with a neutral expression. It's also a bit of a divide and conquer game - identify your ring leaders and sanction them. Reorder your seating plan, have an SLT member on hand to swiftly take out disruptive pupils - this sends out a message that you're not putting up with disruptive behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    Ensure that your class is silent before you talk, when they aren't you should wait for them to be- add those numbers up for a detention and the pupils will learn to be quiet to avoid detention!

This is quite useful too:
    http://www.teachhub.com/classroom-ma...ine-plans-subs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LionFawad2)
    Ensure that your class is silent before you talk, when they aren't you should wait for them to be- add those numbers up for a detention and the pupils will learn to be quiet to avoid detention!

This is quite useful too:
    http://www.teachhub.com/classroom-ma...ine-plans-subs
    Hey LionFawad, this is an interesting advice. However, if you have gifted kids who love to have their individual recall times, then what can possibly be done? Perhaps the suggestion you have placed won't aid the special ones who are forming a part of the mainstream classroom today.

ReputationRep:
    Anamika Khanna you are very right. I'm not an expert- that was just a suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamika Khanna)
    Hey LionFawad, this is an interesting advice. However, if you have gifted kids who love to have their individual recall times, then what can possibly be done? Perhaps the suggestion you have placed won't aid the special ones who are forming a part of the mainstream classroom today.
    Not really sure what this means. Special or not, if people are talking when you are talking a) they aren't going to hear what you are saying and b) some of the others in the class aren't going to hear what you are saying. Either way, you are setting yourself up to have to repeat yourself at least a dozen times once you have given the class its instructions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LionFawad2)
    Anamika Khanna you are very right. I'm not an expert- that was just a suggestion!
    Okay, alright!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Not really sure what this means. Special or not, if people are talking when you are talking a) they aren't going to hear what you are saying and b) some of the others in the class aren't going to hear what you are saying. Either way, you are setting yourself up to have to repeat yourself at least a dozen times once you have given the class its instructions.
    Yeah, that's fine, but given the arguments happening in the field of inclusive learning, it won't be an easy task when managing gifted children. Managing classes will surely be a tricky one, and one need to brainstorm a lot. Gifted children are the special ones and they are sensitive and might face problem in understanding why the teachers are asking them to shut.
    You can have a fruitful read on the topics
    http://specialeducationcourses.colle...-Life--det.php and http://specialeducationcourses.colle...Needs--det.php

ReputationRep:
    Gifted children are the special ones and they are sensitive and might face problem in understanding why the teachers are asking them to shut.
    If you go into a classroom believing that gifted children are somehow special stars you are going to be in for a shock. An outstanding teacher doesn't have favourites and caters for ALL students in their class. An outstanding teacher sees all students making progress, not just as you put it, the gifted ones although gifted and talented is slowly being replaced by high-ability. Either way, I hate labels as the stigmatise students with preconceptions. I teach to the top across all my sets and just adjust the level of support I give.

ReputationRep:
    If you go into a classroom believing that gifted children are somehow special stars you are going to be in for a shock. An outstanding teacher doesn't have favourites and caters for ALL students in their class. An outstanding teacher sees all students making progress, not just as you put it, the gifted ones although gifted and talented is slowly being replaced by high-ability. Either way, I hate labels as the stigmatise students with preconceptions. I teach to the top across all my sets and just adjust the level of support I give.
    You have very rightly said that you would adjust and that’s my point. One needs to adjust and adapt to the requirement and not just segregate them. Using the term special children or the special ones was another term used to refer the gifted children, here in India by teachers. Just as you have mentioned they are now getting labelled with 'highly ability', a term you need to use for identifying the issues and accordingly adjust your teaching styles or manage the class.
    It is in this context, using the trick, which is a good option to apply upon the students other than the specially gifted, may not work well, if the class is filled with both abled and highly-abled students.

ReputationRep:
    You have very rightly said that you would adjust and that’s my point. One needs to adjust and adapt to the requirement and not just segregate them. Using the term special children or the special ones was another term used to refer the gifted children, here in India by teachers. Just as you have mentioned they are now getting labelled with 'highly ability', a term you need to use for identifying the issues and accordingly adjust your teaching styles or manage the class.
    It is in this context, using the trick, which is a good option to apply upon the students other than the specially gifted, may not work well, if the class is filled with both abled and highly-abled students.
    Are you planning to teach in this country? Only I think you will find that your time is generally filled with behaviour management issues and low abilities making progress. Pushing the high achievers is a doddle mainly because they are able to teach themselves. I don't lose any sleep over my top sets.

ReputationRep:
    Are you planning to teach in this country? Only I think you will find that your time is generally filled with behaviour management issues and low abilities making progress. Pushing the high achievers is a doddle mainly because they are able to teach themselves. I don't lose any sleep over my top sets.
    I don't intend to teach but have been part of the education industry, aiding to develop course curriculum, training packages which met the criteria of aspiring teachers, and my clientele includes the global ones. What you meant by 'low abilities making progress'? Please explain how behavioural management issues can aid the teachers? I came across this course learning disability course, the link is given http://www.specialeducationcourses.c...sabilities.php, will that be a help?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.