Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please give me helpful advice on classroom management? The teacher i was assignes to who mentors me now doesn't give me helpful advice and I must admit that her behaviour in that regard often seems unprofessional. It also doesn't help that I am slight in build and have a quiet voice(I have to really raise my voice for everyone in class to hear me during lesson).
    So please,any strategy or advice would be welcome.
    PS. I teach English (EFL) at a public high school ,tenth grade (About 40 students each classroom).

ReputationRep:
    Oh crumbs. It is one of those things that takes quite a while to perfect and if you are in your training, you will receive various training sessions on behaviour management. However, for what it is worth:

- Always make sure your class are entirely silent when you are talking. If someone is talking, stop and wait for silence. If you have to wait 5 minutes for silence, so be it - just add that time on to the end of your lesson if break, lunch or last lesson
    - Always say what your expectations for behaviour are "I expect you to be silent when I am talking. I listen to you. You will listen to me."
    - What is the school behaviour policy? Use it. We have the C system, so it is C1 (warning) then C2 (second warning) and a C3 is a detention etc. Use the school behaviour policy if people break the rules you set out.
    - Be positive. Praise and praise again. Can you award merits of house points - if so do it! Positive praise is so much more valuable than negative sticks.

After that, it is a judgement call and is really really hard. The key is consistency, but in a class of characters this is easier said than done. Go and observe teachers who are known to have good behaviour management abilities and observe everything they do about behaviour from verbal, non-verbal and school behaviour policy interventions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solie)
    Can someone please give me helpful advice on classroom management? The teacher i was assignes to who mentors me now doesn't give me helpful advice and I must admit that her behaviour in that regard often seems unprofessional. It also doesn't help that I am slight in build and have a quiet voice(I have to really raise my voice for everyone in class to hear me during lesson).
    So please,any strategy or advice would be welcome.
    PS. I teach English (EFL) at a public high school ,tenth grade (About 40 students each classroom).
    A chap called Tom Bennett has doen lots of great work on behaviour in classrooms..he was employed by the edu sec as a behaviour tsar...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...upil-behaviour

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.