Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my sister wants to apply to oxford.
    She has:
    Gcses: 4A* 5A 1B
    She did the government and politics AS a year early and got an A.
    A levels: A*A*A*A* in English lit, History of Art, Art and EPQ
    She would have to take time off And apply in 2019, due to having severe mental health concerns, which would essentially mean a year and eight months off, but she would like to do a history a level during this time so that she could hopefully get a fifth A* in an a level.
    She would be applying for English and would like to know if her gcses would hinder her application.
    Also, does anyone hsve any information about being a private candidate because it's very confusing to me at the moment.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

I'm currently on my gap year and I have applied for Oxford too! In terms of her GCSEs, they're incredible results! My GCSEs ranged from A*'s-C's and I got A*A*A at A-Level so, I think they'll probably be lenient with them (they don't have to be because, like I said, they're great results).

And I don't know the answer to the last question, sorry. Perhaps check the Oxford website or email admissions?

Good luck to her!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aysha_r)
    Hiya!

I'm currently on my gap year and I have applied for Oxford too! In terms of her GCSEs, they're incredible results! My GCSEs ranged from A*'s-C's and I got A*A*A at A-Level so, I think they'll probably be lenient with them (they don't have to be because, like I said, they're great results).

And I don't know the answer to the last question, sorry. Perhaps check the Oxford website or email admissions?

Good luck to her!
    Hi!
    Thank you for the brilliant response, she will be happy to hear that!
    Do you think they will mind that, because she would be appyng next year, she wouod taking two gap years bearing in mind that this is for mental health reasons?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia1928)
    Hi!
    Do you think they will mind that, because she would be appyng next year, she wouod taking two gap years bearing in mind that this is for mental health reasons?
    No problem!
    I personally don't think they can use that as a reason for not admitting her; firstly her grades are phenomenal and because of her mental health, that'll just be unfair, and it's legitimate reason. Ensure her school gives Oxford the information about her health. I'm not an admissions person so, double check with your school and Oxford so it'll be put down under extenuating circumstances

ReputationRep:
    No problem!
    I personally don't think they can use that as a reason for not admitting her; firstly her grades are phenomenal and because of her mental health, that'll just be unfair, and it's legitimate reason. Ensure her school gives Oxford the information about her health. I'm not an admissions person so, double check with your school and Oxford so it'll be put down under extenuating circumstances
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia1928)
    Hi!
    Taking it in order:
    1. Since she has already achieved 3 A*s at A level, her GCSEs are of less interest - they are fine anyway.
    2. If her mental health problems impact on her application, she should definitely make sure this is properly explained in her application (usually in her references)
    3. I'd strongly advise contacting the college(s) admissions team(s) directly to decide how best to handle the delayed or deferred application. Especially as you say that she would be a private candidate.
    Tagging BrasenoseAdm and LMH OXFORD to see if they agree
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=OxFossil;74146828]Taking it in order:

Thanks for the tag.

1. Since she has already achieved 3 A*s at A level, her GCSEs are of less interest - they are fine anyway.

Agreed

2. If her mental health problems impact on her application, she should definitely make sure this is properly explained in her application (usually in her references).

TSR is not really the place to disclose personal details - all we would say here is that the candidate would have to decide whether to wait until she is expected to be sufficiently by the start of the course before applying, or to apply a year earlier (when still in the process fo recovering) and request deferred entry. In the latter case, it might (depending on how serious the disclosed condition is) be reasonable to ask for a medical note confirming recovery or fitness to commence study with reasonable adjustments and/or support.

3. I'd strongly advise contacting the college(s) admissions team(s) directly to decide how best to handle the delayed or deferred application. Especially as you say that she would be a private candidate.

The prospective applicant will have her own examination entry code. All that's required is to find a test centre - which could possibly be a school. There will be an exam entry charge to pay the centre.

We hope this is helpful. May we also add our congratulations for the achieved results and best wishes for a successful recovery.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya!

Good luck to her!

Hey, I did my GCSEs and they also range from A* to C with the majority being A* or A. Do you think I can apply for Theology at Oxford still without taking a gap year if I get good A-Level predictions? Or would I be better off applying to Cambridge who say that if your GCSEs aren't great, your A-Levels can make up for it?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to say which hasn't already been said by OxFossil or Brasenose, but did want to wish your sister the best of luck! We're always happy to help if you have any further questions.

JC2001 - GCSEs are just one part of your application - whilst excellent GCSEs can help make your application more competitive, they are not the be all end all. Do note that there are no entry requirements for GCSEs (except for law, where you have to have studied Maths to GCSE)

It's a very holistic process and the important thing would be to meet those grade requirements at Alevels, and to demonstrate your enthusiasm for and commitment to theology You can do this by pursuing it in your spare time (listening to podcasts where possible, reading books etc - and ensuring you have something to say about them).

I should mention that if you think you didn't do as well as you could have at GCSEs for particular mitigating reasons (e.g. disruptions at school, home, illness etc.) please do speak to your teacher about putting this in a reference. We use these details to help inform our decisions.

Hope that helps!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.