Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want to remove the annoying purple box? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're using an ad blocker then you've probably seen the purple box.
    (Link to the box)

To remove it when using "AdBlock" do this:
    Right click the purple box. go to "adblock" move your mouse to the right and then find "block this ad" or something along those lines, click it, scroll until its gone. boom, fixed.

If using "uBlock origin" then do this:
    "If using ublock origin you can right click the popup and block that element and you'll never see it again" (thanks to SalazarSlytherin )

If using Ad block plus (ABP) and/or using firefox do this:
    If you only have ABP then you'll need to add this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...lemhidehelper/
    That is just an add-on to the ABP extension which would allow you to target specific ads on a page, you'll need it as apparently ABP doesn't have the ability to do this. (confirmed by It's****ingWOODY)

Reasons I've made this thread:
    -Ads take AGES for me to load, especially since TSR takes ages to load without them. (for me at least) - saves time.

- You can pay monthly, but as iainvg says on the "is it wrong to use ad-block?" post, it takes 4 page views to make a single comment, and since its $5 per 500 pages then that's 125 comments (not to mention brief searching, not commenting etc.) and considering how active some users are (eg UWS, Woody, gcx and many others.) then it'd cost them a lot of money to keep posting at they rate they are if they chose to pay for ads to go away.

Anyways, hope this page helped.
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Will add more "tips" as there are more adblock programs but this will help most for now, reply if there is one you have that's not up here)

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Relentas)
    (Link to the box)

Right click the purple box. go to "adblock" move your mouse to the right and then find "block this ad" or something along those lines, click it, scroll until its gone. boom, fixed.

"If using ublock origin you can right click the popup and block that element and you'll never see it again" (thanks to SalazarSlytherin)

-Ads take AGES for me to load, especially since TSR takes ages to load without them. (for me at least) - saves time.

- You can pay monthly, but as iainvg says on the "is it wrong to use ad-block?" post, it takes 4 page views to make a single comment, and since its $5 per 500 pages then that's 125 comments (not to mention brief searching, not commenting etc.) and considering how active some users are (eg UWS, Woody, gcx and many others.) then it'd cost them a lot of money to keep posting at they rate they are if they chose to pay for ads to go away.

Spoiler:
    Show

(Will add more "tips" as there are more adblock programs but this will help most for now, reply if there is one you have that's not up here)

You're a lifesaver! Thank you very much, this has resolved my problem. I'll be able to continue using TSR now.

Just means a bit more effort to set up each new install I have to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Link to the box)

"If using ublock origin you can right click the popup and block that element and you'll never see it again" (thanks to SalazarSlytherin)

Spoiler:
    Show

when I rightclick on the Purple box there is no "block this ad" (I do have the Adblock extension)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    when I rightclick on the Purple box there is no "block this ad"
    What adblocker are you using? There's only a "block this ad" when using the adblock with the logo that has a palm on a red octagon.

If you are using this then you just go to where it says "AdBlock" with the red octagon logo and then open the menu to the side of it.

It'd be easier to help if I knew your browser along with the name of the extension that you're using.
    to get to the extensions page on chrome type this into your search bar: "chrome://extensions" and just reply to me with the name of it. (only for chrome)

edit: Ok, didn't see your edit as I replied earlier. Whats your browser?

ReputationRep:
    What adblocker are you using? There's only a "block this ad" when using the adblock with the logo that has a palm on a red octagon.

If you are using this then you just go to where it says "AdBlock" with the red octagon logo and then open the menu to the side of it.

It'd be easier to help if I knew your browser along with the name of the extension that you're using.
    to get to the extensions page on chrome type this into your search bar: "chrome://extensions" and just reply to me with the name of it. (only for chrome)

edit: Ok, didn't see your edit as I replied earlier. Whats your browser?
    Mozilla firefox and its the adblock thats red octagon with "ABP" written. tbh I dont have a problem with ads but this is just to help those who may not see block this ad

ReputationRep:
    Mozilla firefox and its the adblock thats red octagon with "ABP" written. tbh I dont have a problem with ads but this is just to help those who may not see block this ad
    I believe if you only have ABP then you'll need to add this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...lemhidehelper/
    That is just an add-on to the ABP extension which would allow you to target specific ads on a page, you'll need it as apparently ABP doesn't have the ability to do this.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Click the icon, select block element, then click on the purple box

I believe if you only have ABP then you'll need to add this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-GB/fir...lemhidehelper/
    That is just an add-on to the ABP extension which would allow you to target specific ads on a page, you'll need it as apparently ABP doesn't have the ability to do this.
    Not necessary, see above

ReputationRep:

(Link to the box)

Spoiler:
      Show

I already figured out the uBlock Origin one, glad you've posted it as it saves me the trouble. I'm not paying for every time I load TSR and I sure as **** am not whitelisting a single page.
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      Adblock Latitude (the equivalent of Adblock Plus for Pale Moon browser) doesn't have the option so I've added an old version of that extension (the newest version doesn't support my Pale Moon version) and that's sorted that for Pale Moon/Firefox as well. Awesome.

(Original post by bibi n.yahoo)
        x
        If you didn't want to pay Google and TSR, you'd stop the tracking cookies and scripts too... they make money from your data.

uMatrix and NoScript will do most of that. Privacy Badger and DecentralEyes will do most of the rest.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by AmeliaLost)
        Click the icon, select block element, then click on the purple box

Not necessary, see above
        There's not a Block Element option on the Firefox version of ABP, I had to install the extension that Relentas linked.
        • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by It's****ingWOODY)
        There's not a Block Element option on the Firefox version of ABP, I had to install the extension that Relentas linked.
        Ah, weird Well, for anyone on Chrome it worked for me!
        Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
        Great now the staff know that everyone will be able to block it so they're going to change it so it can't be blocked.
        Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Appleorpear)
        Great now the staff know that everyone will be able to block it so they're going to change it so it can't be blocked.
        Anyone who knows anything about an ad blocker knows that it can be used to target specific entities on a page. I'm almost 100% sure the coders of this website knew that the box could be removed by a couple clicks, they didn't code it perfectly (possibly for a reason) and that's their fault, it'd be changed if this thread was or wasn't here as it's been discussed in other threads also, this is just here to inform other users how to remove it as it's pretty annoying.

ReputationRep:
        Thanks friend.

I wouldn't actually mind so much if the ads were less intrusive. I started using an ad-blocker on TSR because I was getting ads which took up half my laptop screen.

I paid for a subscription a long time ago, but back then there were additional benefits.

I
        love
        you
        for
        this
        tip!

ReputationRep:
        - You can pay monthly, but as iainvg says on the "is it wrong to use ad-block?" post, it takes 4 page views to make a single comment, and since its $5 per 500 pages then that's 125 comments
        Yeah that's the problem. If there were a fixed fee option I'd probably have just bought it on seeing the pop up, if the price were reasonable, but having it tied to my page views would bug me.

Anyway thanks OP!

(Original post by Appleorpear)
          They can't even auto-lock old pages, or have a search function worth using, I doubt they'll be able to code a foolproof ad-block-block :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources
        Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.