Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting Older or a sign of something serious? Watch

ReputationRep:
    About an hour ago one of the lads in my house tried to teach me a game of cards. Despite him explaining it to me like 5 times it all just went completely over my head. Even now looking back I didn't have a clue what he taught me. I also find myself making more and more basic errors in everyday life as well. The other day I went to top up my screenwash but for some unknown reason I ended up putting car polish in it instead, only realising after I'd emptied the bottle. I also tend to put things down (such as car keys, wallet) without thinking about it and then I when i come to need it 10 minutes later i can't find it or remember where I left it.

I know for a fact I'm not stupid as I can strip and rebuild an engine and understand a hydraulic diagram and system for an industrial excavator and can remember passwords and stuff such as my online banking details but I can't understand how to play a game of cards.

I used to have a really good capacity for learning but I feel if you were to try and teach me GCSE level stuff again (did mine 7 years ago) it would take a solid day of reading and re reading before i got anything out of it.

Is it part of getting older or is it a sign of something serious?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Are there other symptoms? It just sounds like you are just forgetful. From time to time, we make these "basic errors". It can get worse when you are busy or stressed. As for the cards thing, maybe your friend didn't explain it well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Are there other symptoms? It just sounds like you are just forgetful. From time to time, we make these "basic errors". It can get worse when you are busy or stressed. As for the cards thing, maybe your friend didn't explain it well.

what kind of other symptoms we talking here? Just mental or physical as well? With the card game he definetly explained it well 5 times but absolutely nothing went in. Another symptom I suppose is I someone is speaking to me, if there is background noise in any way shape of form I really need to focus on what they're saying to me for any of it to go in
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y333EEE)
    what kind of other symptoms we talking here? Just mental or physical as well? With the card game he definetly explained it well 5 times but absolutely nothing went in. Another symptom I suppose is I someone is speaking to me, if there is background noise in any way shape of form I really need to focus on what they're saying to me for any of it to go in
    Sounds like it could be worth you having a chat with your GP.
    Now comes me spamming you with questions. You don't have to answer all or any of them if you don't want to- it's more to give you stuff to think about before you see your GP.
    Do you think these issues are down do you getting distracted or your brain switching off? Have you had any issues like this before? How were you at school? Are you feeling tired or groggy more than you used to or think you should be? How much sleep do you get? What's your diet like? How active are you? How much do you drink (water etc, not alcohol)? How are you feeling emotionally?

There are a lot of things that can make people feel unfocused, a bit dumb, distractable etc, but one thing you might want to read into a little is ADD and ADHD. You're mentioning getting distracted and that sounds quite familiar to me (I have ADD). It's also something that doesn't show up on tests so you'd have to look into the symptoms and if you feel like they match you.
    I know AD(H)D is something you hear about with kids, but it can go unnoticed until adulthood so it is possible. I was diagnosed at about 17 because I was having difficulty in college and noticing I was zoning out and getting distracted. Never noticed any real issues as a kid, but looking back there were signs.
    That's not to say you do have it, just that it might be worth having a look at to see if you want to bring it up.

This sort of thing can also be down to lack of sleep, depression, vitamin deficiencies etc or even just noticing normal things a bit too much. It's clearly bothering you so I would have a chat to your GP for a it of advice if nothing else.
    Have a think about those questions and feel free to do some reading into things like ADD/ ADHD and depression (other stuff will be easier to recognise and test for).
    You can read about mh problems like depression on mind.org and sane.org and you can find loads of AD(H)D info by googling it.

Again, just things you might like to look into. Best of luck. Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y333EEE)
    Physical symptoms. Usually if there is a health problem, there are other signs too.

I think you also have to look at your life - any big events or changes, any stressful times at work or study?... This can sometimes lead to a lack of concentration or forgetfulness.

If you are worried, make an appointment to see your GP. It may be that there is nothing wrong, but it will put your mind at ease. If there is something wrong, your doctor will recommend the best way to treat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kindred)
    Sounds like it could be worth you having a chat with your GP.
    Now comes me spamming you with questions. You don't have to answer all or any of them if you don't want to- it's more to give you stuff to think about before you see your GP.
    Do you think these issues are down do you getting distracted or your brain switching off? Have you had any issues like this before? How were you at school? Are you feeling tired or groggy more than you used to or think you should be? How much sleep do you get? What's your diet like? How active are you? How much do you drink (water etc, not alcohol)? How are you feeling emotionally?

There are a lot of things that can make people feel unfocused, a bit dumb, distractable etc, but one thing you might want to read into a little is ADD and ADHD. You're mentioning getting distracted and that sounds quite familiar to me (I have ADD). It's also something that doesn't show up on tests so you'd have to look into the symptoms and if you feel like they match you.
    I know AD(H)D is something you hear about with kids, but it can go unnoticed until adulthood so it is possible. I was diagnosed at about 17 because I was having difficulty in college and noticing I was zoning out and getting distracted. Never noticed any real issues as a kid, but looking back there were signs.
    That's not to say you do have it, just that it might be worth having a look at to see if you want to bring it up.

This sort of thing can also be down to lack of sleep, depression, vitamin deficiencies etc or even just noticing normal things a bit too much. It's clearly bothering you so I would have a chat to your GP for a it of advice if nothing else.
    Have a think about those questions and feel free to do some reading into things like ADD/ ADHD and depression (other stuff will be easier to recognise and test for).
    You can read about mh problems like depression on mind.org and sane.org and you can find loads of AD(H)D info by googling it.

Again, just things you might like to look into. Best of luck. Hope you feel better soon
    1. To be honest I have no idea, best way to describe it is somedays it just feels like I've physically got up but my brains still in bed.
    2. To be honest, for a while now. I took a level chemistry, physics and maths which I did them a.few years ago. I ended up dropping them and.doing Geography and Business instead as none of it went in. In maths the teacher just seemed to start pulling numbers out of nowhere and making things work and no matter how many times she explained it to me it didn't go in.
    3. I wasn't too bad at GCSE'S; 2 A's (maths and geography) 1 E (Citizenship) and B's in everything else. I did struggle with the harder stuff in maths but got an A in the end but come A Level I couldn't grasp.even the basics. I suppose to an extent I just got sick of being stuck in a classroom day in day out and having to waste untold hours of my own time failing to understand it.
    4. Generally ok but some days no.matter how.much I get I cannot shake the tiredness even after a strong coffee.
    5. Really good with sleep atm getting at least 6/7 hours a night.
    6. Drink 2/3 glasses as soon as I head down.
    7. Exercise 3/4 times a.week for an hour doing cardio, weights etc
    8. I suppose nowadays I just feel bored/annoyed more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Physical symptoms. Usually if there is a health problem, there are other signs too.

I think you also have to look at your life - any big events or changes, any stressful times at work or study?... This can sometimes lead to a lack of concentration or forgetfulness.

If you are worried, make an appointment to see your GP. It may be that there is nothing wrong, but it will put your mind at ease. If there is something wrong, your doctor will recommend the best way to treat it.
    Not really any major physical changes other than the tiredness. The only other odd thing physically is the fact I seem to eat twice as much as the others in the house and I still seem hungry. But I'm not worried about it as I've been like that my whole life.

The only big change is that I'm working out in the Falklands (been out here 1 month and potentially not seeing UK soil til this time.next year. Bad as it sounds i'd rather not go and see the doctors they provide for us out here.as they just try and Palm you off with depression and give you some pills for it. You may laugh thinking I'm being petty but I've known it happen to several mates of mine as the med centres only concern seems.To be making themselves look good.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.