Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are the best ways to have ambitious vocab? (not reading) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Reading, plain and simple. Don’t know why you don’t want to hear that answer.

ReputationRep:
    Just gonna say why not reading? It is fun, easy and simple.

What I do is when I have to write something I write it first and then look back over it and google really simple words and find their synonyms. I then use those and see if the sentence still makes sense, if it does then roll with it and you will get used to remembering such words that work instead of the simple ones.

ReputationRep:
    Erm… why do you want to have “ambitious” vocab? It seems like an odd goal, particularly given that you don’t want to read…

Vocabulary on its own is useless without context and knowledge to back it up. Anyone can say “voiceless velar plosive” or “dactylic hexameter”, but unless you know what it means and when to use it (or when not to use it…) then you’ll just sound like you’re trying to be smarter than you are.

Gaining a thorough understanding of something – whether it’s art, science, politics, or something else – is the best way to increase vocabulary constructively, because that way you can actually use it.

ReputationRep:
    hi

ReputationRep:
    anyone there

ReputationRep:
    The thing is... I HATE READING! but my teacher says I should use more ambitious vocab

ReputationRep:
    1. The best way is to have a smart family/friends as naturally, your vocabulary will become stronger without even trying (more so family as obviously with friends you speak quite informally)
    2. Listen to Radio 4 / Audiobooks / Watch docs
    3. Read

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlash2024)
    The thing is... I HATE READING! but my teacher says I should use more ambitious vocab
    Well in that case, if your teacher thinks you should use more ambitious vocab in your essays, then learn more technical terms for the subject your'e studying so that you can be more specific with what you're writing about.

If it's your creative writing that needs improvement, then I'm sorry but reading is the best way to improve your written style and vocabulary.

I'm also firmly of the belief that nobody dislikes reading - they just haven't found the right books.

ReputationRep:
    Great advice above.

How NOT to do it: Skim through a dictionary or thesaurus and list all the longest words you can find, then put them into your writing no matter what the context. Examiners are not impressed by writing such as 'I traversed the crepuscular thoroughfare and entered the establishment where the parsimonious purveyor pontificated on his produce'.

(Original post by Lit teacher)
    Great advice above.

How NOT to do it: Skim through a dictionary or thesaurus and list all the longest words you can find, then put them into your writing no matter what the context. Examiners are not impressed by writing such as 'I traversed the crepuscular thoroughfare and entered the establishment where the parsimonious purveyor pontificated on his produce'.

what does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    The reading is the whole point, it is its own reward in broadening your mind and developing your intellect; the "ambitious vocab" a felicitous by product.

There you go, a new word, I'll bet. Am I right? You learnt it from reading my post. Easy huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lit teacher)
    Great advice above.

I have a friend who writes like this! :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackstarr)
    [/b]

what does this mean?
    In the evening I crossed the road and went to a shop, where the tight-fisted owner tried to persuade me to buy something.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.