Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Don't want to go university but don't have other options Watch

ReputationRep:
    For so long I haven't wanted to go to university, I am currently going through the UCAS process and writing a statement (teachers want me to even if I don't want to go uni) and I'm applying to Uni for a back up. But I reaalllyyyy don't want to go. I don't see myself spending another 3/4 years studying as experience is valuable too. I really want to do a degree apprenticeship, however these are SO hard to get into and so competitive and without sounding really pessimistic I know that there's people out there who will be so much better academically and personality wise and will probably end up getting it. I can't find any other apprenticeships that appeal to me. I'm predicted AAB but my statement isn't the best. I really don't know what else to do. I've considered a gap year but my family and teachers have advised me not to take one, in the fear I won't return to education/work or that education etc may change. I really do want a degree apprenticeship but realistically won't be accepted onto these. Anyone been/is in the same position?

ReputationRep:
    You won't always enjoy what you have to do to get something you want. I love working for myself but I had to put up with lots of things I didn't like for a long time so I could reach that end goal (not going out with friends for a year, low bank funds, working 3 weeks straight until the early hours of the morning ect), it's depends how much you want that job in end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rdlewiss)
    I've considered a gap year but my family and teachers have advised me not to take one, in the fear I won't return to education/work or that education etc may change.
    Speaking as someone that took one, and live in first year dorms where everyone has taken at least one (one of them took 5 years) - am tempted to call ******** on that one.

You can't do something you don't enjoy when it costs this much to do; if it's a degree apprenticeship you want, you gotta find a way. If it falls through take the gap year and work on finding a path to it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the comment about gap years made by CC. Many, many people take gap year(s) to the extent it is possible to be in the minority NOT taking one. I can relate to wanting a break from study after being flogged by the state school system (UK?) for 11 years.

I know perfectly bright people who had just had enough of study by the end of A levels and gone into employment and seem perfectly happy - my younger brother is one. My fear would be FOMO as I got older, you never tried the whole making loads of friends/Halls experience while young. Many trades are woefully understaffed and to use a somewhat hackneyed stereotype, plumbers can and do earn far more than academics.

ReputationRep:
    For so long I haven't wanted to go to university, I am currently going through the UCAS process and writing a statement (teachers want me to even if I don't want to go uni) and I'm applying to Uni for a back up. But I reaalllyyyy don't want to go. I don't see myself spending another 3/4 years studying as experience is valuable too. I really want to do a degree apprenticeship, however these are SO hard to get into and so competitive and without sounding really pessimistic I know that there's people out there who will be so much better academically and personality wise and will probably end up getting it. I can't find any other apprenticeships that appeal to me. I'm predicted AAB but my statement isn't the best. I really don't know what else to do. I've considered a gap year but my family and teachers have advised me not to take one, in the fear I won't return to education/work or that education etc may change. I really do want a degree apprenticeship but realistically won't be accepted onto these. Anyone been/is in the same position?
    You don't know that you won't get into a degree apprenticeship until you try. And if you don't get in the first time round you can get feedback and try again. Nothing says you have to be on the right career path straight out of school. As long as you do something with your gap year e.g.get a job somewhere, volunteering e.c.t then its really not a big deal. No point going to university if your heart isn't in it.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, thanks for replying! I was just wondering, I am going to apply for university just for back up incase I don't get the apprenticeships I want. Say if I do end up getting the apprenticeship, am I able to withdraw my offer if I do get them from the university? and how would I do so? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, thanks for replying! I was just wondering, I am going to apply for university just for back up incase I don't get the apprenticeships I want. Say if I do end up getting the apprenticeship, am I able to withdraw my offer if I do get them from the university? and how would I do so? thanks!
    Yeah you just decline it, as long as you do so before you arrive at uni and register it shouldn't be a massive problem

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.