Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    arghhh so frustrating!

1st time, fair enough I got 3 serious.

2nd time was my best shot. I forgot to look right on a mini roundabout. it was on a straight road, there was no markings on the ground and I probably missed the sign for it. that was my only serious.

3rd Time, I stalled on a little hill and couldn't find the biting point. I think the nerves got the best of me. I was driving 30 on a 40 road and apparently that was slow. so 2 serious.

Anyone else had the same experience and managed to get over it because it's soul crushing to hear 'you've failed' for the third time'.

Seriously, I feel like giving up. So much money spent on tests and driving lessons. I'm a pretty confident and calm driver, but these tests just bring my nerves out and I can't control them.

so any advice for my next test?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cyber1995)
    arghhh so frustrating!

2nd time was my best shot. I forgot to look right on a mini roundabout. it was on a straight road, there was no markings on the ground and I probably missed the sign for it. that was my only serious.

3rd Time, I stalled on a little hill and couldn't find the biting point. I think the nerves got the best of me. I was driving 30 on a 40 road and apparently that was slow. so 2 serious.

Anyone else had the same experience and managed to get over it because it's soul crushing to hear 'you've failed' for the third time'.

Seriously, I feel like giving up. So much money spent on tests and driving lessons. I'm a pretty confident and calm driver, but these tests just bring my nerves out and I can't control them.

Sounds like your nervous! It's natural to be nervous, but keep those nerves to a minimum! Also, your examiner is human, like yourself, so don't be afraid to calm yourself down by having a friendly chat with them!

This thread should be in the Learning to drive forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

ReputationRep:
    Its a high standard and not easy under pressure. Keep practicing, keep calm, concentrate like mad. Everyone gets there.

ReputationRep:
    arghhh so frustrating!

Send the emotions you are feeling to driving skills in the Brian.(say emotions power driving skills) and image you are a robot who sees every thing he needs to see when driving. You my friend are an excellent driver.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't fail three times, but I failed twice so I know what it's like to repeatedly fail. After my second time I procrastinated my next test hard. Like literally I took a whole year to take it again.

Going 30 on a 40 road probably wouldn't have gotten you a serious unless there was someone behind you, and they were being dangerous tailgating you or something. I got that on my first test. They shouldn't be tailgating but you can be seen to being an obstruction that's causing them to become impatient and reckless.

I took my third test yesterday. This time I took some rescue remedy before going out. Not too sure if it actually works of if it's a placebo, but I felt a lot calmer. I messed up a few times and panicked a bit. But calmed down soon after rather than letting it consume me the whole test. And I passed with 3 minors. So maybe that could help you?

But honestly keep at it. If you need to take a break from it all (especially if you need to save up) then do so. You won't forget to drive in that time, but do take some lessons before the next test obviously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Being1509)
    Send the emotions you are feeling to driving skills in the Brian.(say emotions power driving skills) and image you are a robot who sees every thing he needs to see when driving. You my friend are an excellent driver.
    That guy is in the past now only the winner remains.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, Want to share my story. Wanted the license very badly as I am expecting to be dad in April 2018. I am new to UK, moved from south Asian country where we hardly follow any rules - The first problem with learn to drive in UK. Anyways I started with a local instructor, but saw that in 1st class itself, he was trying to extract money from me (Asked for £29/hour) I dumped him and started searching for a new one. Found one quickly and started to go out to learn this maze of UK driving. He used to give time early morning 7 am or late evening and completely demotivated me ( A** H***). I drove a lot by my own using Europcar and find someone to take me to test:

1st Test ( Failed genuinely ) 5 min into the test, examiner grabbed my wheel and steered to right. I was slow on round-about and someone caught up on left, later I was making one mistake after another. ( Result - 10 minor, 2-Serious , 1 - Dangerous)

2nd Test ( Failed 5 min before test completion) 5 min before the test, I was approaching a very small roundabout. I thought no one was coming from my right and suddenly a blue car turns up in the right and before I am slam my breaks, examiner slams the breaks and blood in my body froze. I knew it was a fail. I consoled myself and came back to center. Result for a fail with 1 serious and 7 minors.

3rd Test ( Failed 10 min before test completion) 10 min into the test. I was asked to pull up on left. Asked to move when safe. Took too much of time and noted something on the sheet. I thought I failed. Then everytime when I was moving off, I was feeling to move of quickly. 10 min before test completion comes a blind junction, I was asked to turn left. I donno why but I I panicked and did a sharp left turn. Examiner - "Please be careful". Came to a complex roundabout and took right 3rd exit and found out I took a wrong lane during exit . Failed with 2 serious

4th Test today - Examiner, same as 1st test. Passed with 6 minors.

Moral of the story is: Keep going, practice as much as you can and keep giving test. Do a lot of self driving, so that you do not falter in the test. Eventually you will pass as I did. ( I lost all hopes and thought I will always fail ) Best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    arghhh so frustrating!

I think its a mental thing, you probably have all the skills necessary already but all the dots have to align. Your ability to demonstrate safe driving, the examiners moods and a bit of luck.

I failed a few times but when I eventually passed I had to reinforce the fact that the examiner is not my friend, so any mistake he will penaise me.

ReputationRep:
    Please take a deep breath and chill.

3 times is nothing my mom failed hers 13 times and then get successful. just try and try never lose hope z
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I failed with 6 serious faults yesterday. I think the driving test is a psychological game that shows up and highlights your weakness, so if you are unsure about something and you know that it is your weakness- work on it as much as possible because it will show up and be amplified in the driving test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittlePrincessXx)
    Please take a deep breath and chill.

3 times is nothing my mom failed hers 13 times and then get successful. just try and try never lose hope z
    Your mum gives me hope 🙏

You

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! just an update!

I failed again with 1 serious fault. Forgot about the giveaway lines in the priority lanes. I would stop to give way but was way ahead of the give way lines. I didn't realise the mistake, so she failed me. she said "you could've passed today!, Perfect drivin" and in my head I was thinking WOMAN WHY DIDN'T YOU?

I know they're are just doing their jobs at the end of the day and I shouldn't see them as my enemies. I'll take your tips on board. Wish that I pass, I'm going for a test again soon. ahhhhhhhhhhh MY NERVES.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.