Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Work Experience With MP? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do some work experience with an MP at some point and was looking for some advice.
    Will I need to send them a CV or just a letter/email? I haven't really done anything at all so I don't really have much of a CV and I honestly don't know what I'd put in one/in a letter, my school haven't been particularly helpful at all.
    Should I only write to my local MP or should I write to multiple ones in my local area?
    Also peoples who've done it before, what sort of time scale do you expect & should I mention that or let them suggest it. If I sent a letter now should I expect (if they agreed) to be doing something in the next few weeks months etc?

I'm aware some of my questions are probably a bit obvious but I missed applying for work experience before as I wasnt in school when it was done so I have no idea really how it works

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your local MP, but I just sent mine a short email and that was that. I've actually done it twice, both were 4 days long, and the very first email you should send should just be asking, and if they do offer work experience then clarify times afterwards, they probably will themselves offer dates. Feel free to ask any more questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamesAreEffort)
    It depends on your local MP, but I just sent mine a short email and that was that. I've actually done it twice, both were 4 days long, and the very first email you should send should just be asking, and if they do offer work experience then clarify times afterwards, they probably will themselves offer dates. Feel free to ask any more questions.
    So would you say it's best to ask about a period of time say 4 days? My school do a thing where instead of having a set week to do work experience in we have every wednesday afternoon off instead, though I don't know how well that would work in my situation and maybe asking about a longer period of time during a holiday would be better?

ReputationRep:
    I'd just ask for week because that sounds typical, but in general if they have a work experience scheme they'll have a time in mind, and if not they'll definitely follow uo anyway so I think the first thing to do is just ask.

As far as weekly work experience of that sort, it's unlikely youll land a job with an MP. But I know many people who do regular stuff and party politics is the way forward. Ask the local party you're most closely if there's any volunteering you can do every Wednesday and you'll be more likely to secure something there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NamesAreEffort)
    I'd just ask for week because that sounds typical, but in general if they have a work experience scheme they'll have a time in mind, and if not they'll definitely follow uo anyway so I think the first thing to do is just ask.

As far as weekly work experience of that sort, it's unlikely youll land a job with an MP. But I know many people who do regular stuff and party politics is the way forward. Ask the local party you're most closely if there's any volunteering you can do every Wednesday and you'll be more likely to secure something there.
    Yeah I didn't think that our Wednesday thing would work too well logistics etc wise for this and I currently volunteer on Wednesdays & im not sure if want to quit that.

I'd imagine I could just ask for a week and see what they say, also this is potentially a very dim question but do you need to be a full/card carrying member to help out/volunteer with a party or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imaginaryrunes)
    Yeah I didn't think that our Wednesday thing would work too well logistics etc wise for this and I currently volunteer on Wednesdays & im not sure if want to quit that.

I'd imagine I could just ask for a week and see what they say, also this is potentially a very dim question but do you need to be a full/card carrying member to help out/volunteer with a party or not?
    Nah, not at all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.