Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Thoughts on OCR FSMQ Additional Maths/Add. Maths 2018 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I just stumbled across a discussion of the summer 2017 group of Additional Maths students and couldn't help but wonder how many of you out there are doing Add. Maths this academic year....Tell me all about how you're finding it now, how you're getting through or doing this qualification and what grade you hope to get...Also, if anyone already has this qualification I would love to know your thoughts on it!

I'll start with my story...
    My maths teacher thought it would be a good idea to teach this qualification whilst reinforcing learning on our actual Edexcel curriculum which we have finished...We haven't done too much of it but I'm finding it pretty easy because it's basic algebra application which I'm good at...I'm hoping to get a B but an A would be nice too

ReputationRep:
    I saw that thread and was looking for a similar one for this year! My school is still teaching the Edexcel content, so we're doing it 1 lesson after school every week. I missed the first 6 lessons since they only invited the set 1s to do it and I'm set 2, but my friends in set 1 were doing it so I asked the teacher if I could join and he was fine with that. I've caught up on the topics they've done off YouTube and the revision guide (differentiation and integration), which I found pretty straightforward.

In my first lesson last week, we started working on polynomials (division and factor theorem so far), and that was cool. Just for context, I had an expected grade of a 4 halfway through year 10 when I was in set 3 and I got a high 6 (halfway into a 7 by the new grade boundaries) in the end of year 10 mocks since I actually started working and through that, I found that I really enjoy maths, hence why I'm now doing add maths (which I find wayyyy more interesting than GCSE maths). I'm currently going through all of the content that I didn't listen to in class from GCSE maths in preparation for the winter mocks, to see if I can get into set 1 (apparently I beat all the set 2s in the end of year 10 mocks so it could be possible).

I hope to get a grade A, and if I put enough time into it, I should be able to get that. I want to do maths, further maths and physics at A level, so getting a grade A in add maths and an 8/9 in GCSE maths is important to me.

ReputationRep:
    did the fsmq in 2016 (i feel old) and it helps so much with a level maths, you cover most of the pure stuff then a little mechanics and stats. i really enjoyed it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanilla Cupcake)
    did the fsmq in 2016 (i feel old) and it helps so much with a level maths, you cover most of the pure stuff then a little mechanics and stats. i really enjoyed it
    Glad to know it helps with A level maths!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    There is a discussion thread for the 2018 exam here if anyone wants to join It's fallen quite far down the list of threads so it would be lovely if some of you went and revived it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solareclipse.)
    Hello! I just stumbled across a discussion of the summer 2017 group of Additional Maths students and couldn't help but wonder how many of you out there are doing Add. Maths this academic year....Tell me all about how you're finding it now, how you're getting through or doing this qualification and what grade you hope to get...Also, if anyone already has this qualification I would love to know your thoughts on it!

I'll start with my story...
    My maths teacher thought it would be a good idea to teach this qualification whilst reinforcing learning on our actual Edexcel curriculum which we have finished...We haven't done too much of it but I'm finding it pretty easy because it's basic algebra application which I'm good at...I'm hoping to get a B but an A would be nice too
    what man tingin on bout. Me ons for full marks innit bruv and get thems a-levels to earn mad moneys

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.