Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! So I am currently in year 11 and in the process of thinking about the dreaded A-level choices. The thing is, I'm not really sure what I want to do! My main interests are music and science(kind of a bit different!) and as of now, I think I'm more likely to want to do some kind of medical degree(maybe optometry.) However, I really love music and I think there's a chance I want to do it at uni. I've been told that music isn't a facilitating subject though and that it doesn't really go with sciences-maths would probably go better. Do any of you guys have any similar experiences? What did/would you do?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy music then go for it! You don't need to do all science subjects and music certainly isn't a breeze, so will show dedication and hard work. I think it's quite nice to have a bit of a different subject alongside the sciences so you can mix it up a bit, keep your options open, and have a break from all of the science

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina.s1463)
    Hi guys! So I am currently in year 11 and in the process of thinking about the dreaded A-level choices. The thing is, I'm not really sure what I want to do! My main interests are music and science(kind of a bit different!) and as of now, I think I'm more likely to want to do some kind of medical degree(maybe optometry.) However, I really love music and I think there's a chance I want to do it at uni. I've been told that music isn't a facilitating subject though and that it doesn't really go with sciences-maths would probably go better. Do any of you guys have any similar experiences? What did/would you do?
    Are you applying for optometry or medicine? If medicine, then it is a stated requirement from all universities to do Chemistry.

Biology is also desirable (I think, but you will have to research) and usually interesting for those wishing to study a medical science degree.

Music should be one of your A levels as you are still considering it as an option. Universities will only require you to have done Music at A level if you are applying to study it at degree level. If you decide that you are no longer interested at the end of year 12, you could drop it and carry on with your 3 other subjects.

Your 4th subject doesn't matter that much. But if was in your position I would pick Maths because it just opens so many doors.

ReputationRep:
    You sound so much like me! I wanted to go into music but I ended up having the decision made for me because my school couldn't run the A level despite me already having a grade 8 and about to complete a second one. It's important to enjoy your subjects and to keep all your fields of interest open, so if you're considering anything medical I'd definitely say do biology and chemistry so you're completely covered for all of that. Maths would go really well with them because it shows a good set of skills and is sometimes required for medicine degrees.

In the end, I decided I definitely didn't want to go into music having had to teach some children (probably the worst experience of my life) and realising that I may have to do that for a living after and I couldn't, but definitely keep that window open! I wish I'd have been able to do that.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baaah)
    Are you applying for optometry or medicine? If medicine, then it is a stated requirement from all universities to do Chemistry.

Biology is also desirable (I think, but you will have to research) and usually interesting for those wishing to study a medical science degree.

Music should be one of your A levels as you are still considering it as an option. Universities will only require you to have done Music at A level if you are applying to study it at degree level. If you decide that you are no longer interested at the end of year 12, you could drop it and carry on with your 3 other subjects.

Your 4th subject doesn't matter that much. But if was in your position I would pick Maths because it just opens so many doors.

Thank you for such a detailed reply! I don't think I'll go to med school, and I'm planning on choosing Chem and bio. Think I'll choose music now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    If you enjoy music then go for it! You don't need to do all science subjects and music certainly isn't a breeze, so will show dedication and hard work. I think it's quite nice to have a bit of a different subject alongside the sciences so you can mix it up a bit, keep your options open, and have a break from all of the science
    Thank you-yep I don't think I could cope with all science A levels as well!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.