Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I know to find the velocity it's just the gradient but the graph is like this:

*See screenshot.
    (Well not exactly but hopefully you get what I mean)
    Then how would I find the average speed? Would it just be the average speed for each section? So e.g 1st section average speed was 5 ms-1 for 10s and in 2nd section average speeed was 10ms-1 for 4s. Then: ((10*5)+(10*4)/9)?
    Attached Images

velocity is the gradient on a displacement time graph

on a graph looking like like that there are times when v=0 (i.e. horizontal line)
    there are times when v is +ve (i.e. +ve gradient / )
    and times when v is -ve (i.e. -ve gradient \ )

speed is distance/time - you need to add up the total distances and divide by time.

distance isn't exactly the same thing as displacement

e.g. if I come out of my house, walk 100m to the bus stop, remember I've forgotten my sandwiches and walk 100m back to get them... at the point I arrive back at my house I've travelled a distance of 200m but my displacement from starting out is zero.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.