Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying at UoE but I'm not too sure the uni is right for me. I asked universities such as Strathclyde and Glasgow if I could transfer but they said it is not possible and I would have to do a HND to be accepted into second year. I think my best option would be reapply for first year through UCAS just as a backup incase I'm still not enjoying Edinburgh as much. Do I have to tell my personal tutor I'm doing this (I was going to use my old guidance teacher as a reference) although, I'm presuming I'd have to mention I'm at uni in my personal statement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlt5)
    I am currently studying at UoE but I'm not too sure the uni is right for me. I asked universities such as Strathclyde and Glasgow if I could transfer but they said it is not possible and I would have to do a HND to be accepted into second year. I think my best option would be reapply for first year through UCAS just as a backup incase I'm still not enjoying Edinburgh as much. Do I have to tell my personal tutor I'm doing this (I was going to use my old guidance teacher as a reference) although, I'm presuming I'd have to mention I'm at uni in my personal statement.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    You have to declare your current study in the education section.

You don’t have to mention it in your ps (but most people do).

Likewise you don’t HAVE to talk to your tutor about applying elsewhere but that’s literally part of their job. A reference from your university is sometimes required for other universities - and if you’re unhappy then it’s a good idea to talk to your tutor and explaining what you’re considering doing as a backup plan. They should be supportive and helpful and talking about being unhappy and applying elsewhere doesn’t commit you to leaving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You have to declare your current study in the education section.

You don’t have to mention it in your ps (but most people do).

Likewise you don’t HAVE to talk to your tutor about applying elsewhere but that’s literally part of their job. A reference from your university is sometimes required for other universities - and if you’re unhappy then it’s a good idea to talk to your tutor and explaining what you’re considering doing as a backup plan. They should be supportive and helpful and talking about being unhappy and applying elsewhere doesn’t commit you to leaving.
    Thanks for the reply this was really helpful. Do you know how I could mention this in my PS? I'm worried that the unis are put off that I have decided to change my mind.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mlt5)
    Thanks for the reply this was really helpful. Do you know how I could mention this in my PS? I'm worried that the unis are put off that I have decided to change my mind.
    The reasons to mention it in your PS are to reassure them that you wont change your mind - eg "I need to move nearer home", or "I like these bits of my course not those bits so want to swap to a course that's all about the stuff I like", or "mental health issues have disrupted my studies but now that I'm recovering I want to make a fresh start" etc etc

If there's nothing you can pin down as the reason you want to leave and so you can't talk about how those reasons would be resolved by switching elsewhere then there's no need to mention it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.