Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand how to rearrange formula e,our teacher taught the method when you put arrow then do it the other way again.

Question, If p=5L change the subject of the formula to L. Hence find L when P=73

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SBizzy)
    I don't really understand how to rearrange formula e,our teacher taught the method when you put arrow then do it the other way again.

Question, If p+5L change the subject of the formula to L. Hence find L when P=73
    There must be a little more to the question. p + 5L isn't an equation - it must be equal to something. Or do you mean p = 5L?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pangol)
    There must be a little more to the question. p + 5L isn't an equation - it must be equal to something. Or do you mean p = 5L?
    Yeah, p=5L my bad. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, p=5L my bad. Sorry.
    If p = 5L, then you find the value of p by multiplying L by 5. Think of L as the price of a light bulb, and p as the total cost of five of them. If you know the price of one light bulb (L), you can work out the total price by multiplying by 5. But suppose you knew the total price (p) - suppose this is £10. How much would each 5 of the light bulbs cost? How have you worked this out?

(I know it would be very easy to just give you the answer to your original question, but if you can follow this through, you should be able to do the same thing again and again in other questions.)

ReputationRep:
    If p = 5L, then you find the value of p by multiplying L by 5. Think of L as the price of a light bulb, and p as the total cost of five of them. If you know the price of one light bulb (L), you can work out the total price by multiplying by 5. But suppose you knew the total price (p) - suppose this is £10. How much would each 5 of the light bulbs cost? How have you worked this out?

(I know it would be very easy to just give you the answer to your original question, but if you can follow this through, you should be able to do the same thing again and again in other questions.)
    Would it be £2 each?

ReputationRep:
    Would it be £2 each?
    Yes - and now you can see that you have to divide by 5, which is the opposite to multiplying by 5.

If you want to do this with algebra, the golden rule is to always do exactly the same thing to both sides of the equation. In this case, that thing is "divide by 5". So, we go from p = 5L to p/5 = 5L/5. and of course, if we take L, multiply by 5 to get 5L, and then divide by 5 again, we get right back where we started, so 5L/5 = L, and you end up with L = p/5.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - and now you can see that you have to divide by 5, which is the opposite to multiplying by 5.

If you want to do this with algebra, the golden rule is to always do exactly the same thing to both sides of the equation. In this case, that thing is "divide by 5". So, we go from p = 5L to p/5 = 5L/5. and of course, if we take L, multiply by 5 to get 5L, and then divide by 5 again, we get right back where we started, so 5L/5 = L, and you end up with L = p/5.
    Still struggling with this homework...

ReputationRep:
    Still struggling with this homework...
    Not easy to know what to say considering the only question you have posted has been answered...

ReputationRep:
    Not easy to know what to say considering the

only question you have posted has been answered...
    I'll just stop doing it, thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.