Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I am currently in an award situation with my educational background that doesn't seem fit in compares to the requirement shows on the RAF website. For most officer roles, it requires the applicant to have a degree at 2:2 or above. Unfortunately, I only got a third for my undergraduate. However, I was lucky enough to be accepted to study a postgraduate course. If I could achieve a higher grade for my master degree, does it help for my application? Or the RAF only looks into the undergraduate grade only?

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oronchi0917)
    For most officer roles, it requires the applicant to have a degree at 2:2 or above.
    Not quite, that's only if you don't meet the basic requirements.

The RAF careers site says, for all but a few officer roles:

"Qualifications:
    You will need a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or acceptable equivalents) at a minimum of Grade C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17), including English Language, and Mathematics or 5 Scottish Certificate of Education (SCE) Standard Grades at a minimum of Grade 2, including English Language and Mathematics or 5 Scottish National Equivalent (SNE) at a minimum of Grade 5 including English Language and Mathematics.
    In addition, you need at least 2 A2 Levels / 3 Highers at Grade C or above (excluding General Studies or Critical Thinking) which must total a minimum of 64 UCAS points.
    Alternatively, if you hold a UK degree at Grade 2:2 or higher (or acceptable alternative) you only need Mathematics and English Language GCSEs at a minimum of C (Grade 4 to 5 with effect from Aug 17) or Mathematics and English Language SCE Standard Grades of 2 or SNE Grade 5 for both."

Do you have the basic requirements?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the reply.

No, I do not meet the basic requirement. Since I did a foundation course instead of A-levels, not to mention I had failed most of my GCSEs but lucky to have Maths. It is all down to English and the postgraduate grade. For English, I am taking the IELTS route instead of GCSE/ IGCSE because I have to wait until May/ June, whereas IELTS offers me a sooner exam date and result. Also, it said, "acceptable alternative" on the website, does it includes master degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oronchi0917)
    Thank you for the reply.

No, I do not meet the basic requirement. Since I did a foundation course instead of A-levels, not to mention I had failed most of my GCSEs but lucky to have Maths. It is all down to English and the postgraduate grade. For English, I am taking the IELTS route instead of GCSE/ IGCSE because I have to wait until May/ June, whereas IELTS offers me a sooner exam date and result. Also, it said, "acceptable alternative" on the website, does it includes master degree?
    You'll have to talk to the careers people, that kind of thing is taken on a case by case basis, it'll depend on the reasons why, what your Masters is in, etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.