Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Failed my Master's dissertation twice. Any advice? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 4% away from a 50% which would be a passing grade for my program. Is it completely unheard of to receive a second resit? I'm so close to a Master's and don't want to settle for a PG Dip.

Both times writing my disso I have had unresponsive supervisors and even have an email from my second one where he forgot I was even his student. Is an appeal possible? If it is, does it reflect poorly on me or my supervisor that there is not much communication between us? I had to email him multiple times to get any sort of response. I just stopped bothering when it became clear I had to bombard him for any sort of answer. It's disheartening to think that with just a little more guidance I could've hit the 50%.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by failure2017)
    I'm 4% away from a 50% which would be a passing grade for my program. Is it completely unheard of to receive a second resit? I'm so close to a Master's and don't want to settle for a PG Dip.

Both times writing my disso I have had unresponsive supervisors and even have an email from my second one where he forgot I was even his student. Is an appeal possible? If it is, does it reflect poorly on me or my supervisor that there is not much communication between us? I had to email him multiple times to get any sort of response. I just stopped bothering when it became clear I had to bombard him for any sort of answer. It's disheartening to think that with just a little more guidance I could've hit the 50%.
    It will depend on the rules and your uni in general.

It would help if you had extenuating circumstances.

You can appeal plus see a student supervisor. You could use your lack of supervision as the basis, but they will ask why didnt you make a complaint at the time? You might as well try as you have nothing to lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    It will depend on the rules and your uni in general.

It would help if you had extenuating circumstances.

You can appeal plus see a student supervisor. You could use your lack of supervision as the basis, but they will ask why didnt you make a complaint at the time? You might as well try as you have nothing to lose.
    Thank you for your response. I wasn't aware that it was possible to make a complaint during the process otherwise I would have. I was an international student and I don't think it works the same in my home country.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by failure2017)

Hi,

When I did my Masters dissertation, I was also having a look at previous years' dissertations to get some ideas. Does your department or university provide students with this kind of source? This helped me a lot how much I should work, structure, and styles etc. Have you tried going to meet your supervisor in person instead of emailing? Can you also ask for support from your course director?

Good luck.

Prau
    2nd PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics
    University of Reading
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    I second Paul,

Being able to refer to past texts and work is a great way to get an idea of what's expected of you and develop your own ideas and approach.
    When I did my MA dissertation I looked at two prior year projects. While I didn't do anything close to what they did in content and style it really helped focus my own research!

All the best,

David

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniofReading)
    Hi,

When I did my Masters dissertation, I was also having a look at previous years' dissertations to get some ideas. Does your department or university provide students with this kind of source? This helped me a lot how much I should work, structure, and styles etc. Have you tried going to meet your supervisor in person instead of emailing? Can you also ask for support from your course director?

Good luck.

Prau
    2nd PhD student, Agricultural and Food Economics
    University of Reading
    Prau,

Doing that is a part of the reason I think I failed the first time around because they don't show only students who did well but all of them. I think I used ones from those who also failed as a guideline. The issue with trying to meet with him in person was he never responded to my emails so we could never set a time to meet. The few times I showed up without warning he never came to his office. Now that I'm no longer in the UK I can't do anything but email.

ReputationRep:
    You need to read the academic regulations of the university to see whether you think you have grounds for a complaint, appeal or some other action. There would be a lot to factor in and there's no way any of us here on TSR will be able to give constructive advice without knowing the whole story.

I think there's a lesson here for anyone else struggling with communicating with a supervisor - don't leave it until the last minute. There are lots of people who you could contact - class rep, another lecturer, student union, head of the department etc. Read and understand your university's academic regulations. You're working at postgraduate level, and universities won't chase you up to make sure everything's ok. Take some responsibility and if something isn't working then do something about it in plenty of time. Don't leave things until it's too late. OP - I hope you get the outcome you deserve, good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.