The Student Room Group

Too late to transfer universities?

I go to Middlesex currently and it is unbelievably ****. The thing that strikes me the most is the lack of intelligence the students here have; they can barely string a sentence together during seminars, aren't aware of basic facts and one guy (British too) raised his hand during a class to ask the lecturer what 'being the norm' meant. How did these people get into university?
On top of this the seminars and lectures are ridiculously easy (not complaining but this further proves my point). I'm also quite miserable here and my teacher suggested I try to transfer to a different uni.
Does anyone know if it's too late for this and which universities would be good for criminology in London?
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It’s actually not to late to change. Things have just started up! But you would have to call up the universities and ask them yourselves. You’ll only be able to move if they have any spaces of course.
Reply 2
Original post by Kezzia
It’s actually not to late to change. Things have just started up! But you would have to call up the universities and ask them yourselves. You’ll only be able to move if they have any spaces of course.

Thanks for the reply ! Do you happen to know any universities that are good for my subject?
Reply 3
I experienced the same thing at Bournemouth University. One boy didn't know what an anagram was! I decided to leave last week and am now retaking my A levels in order to get into a better university. Depending on your grades and whether you can get into somewhere worthwhile, I would suggest retaking. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Lsheep666
Thanks for the reply ! Do you happen to know any universities that are good for my subject?

Off the top of my head? Possibly Birbeck and City University! You could check out the courses for UCL, Kings and LSE! But at the same time, it depends on whether they have space.
Reply 5
Original post by Kezzia
Off the top of my head? Possibly Birbeck and City University! You could check out the courses for UCL, Kings and LSE! But at the same time, it depends on whether they have space.

Thanks ! I'm gonna try City University, I think the others are a little out my league haha
Reply 6
Original post by Goeke
I experienced the same thing at Bournemouth University. One boy didn't know what an anagram was! I decided to leave last week and am now retaking my A levels in order to get into a better university. Depending on your grades and whether you can get into somewhere worthwhile, I would suggest retaking. Good luck! :smile:

Hahaha oh god, I can't believe they get into uni !
Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately I did the European Baccalaureate & you can't resit that :/ do you happen to know whether they might accept you if you have lower marks due to it being later in the year? (And if there were circumstances as to why you received a lower grade anyway)
Sorry to bombard you with all these questions !
Reply 7
Thank you for the suggestion but unfortunately I did the European Baccalaureate & you can't resit that :/ do you happen to know whether they might accept you if you have lower marks due to it being later in the year? (And if there were circumstances as to why you received a lower grade anyway)

That's ok! :P To be honest I didn't work hard enough for my A levels so my fault really. I contacted a few unis asking if I could transfer but their courses were already full. I don't mind retaking as it means better grades and a better uni. Maybe try for a foundation year at a better university as the entry requirements are generally lower
Reply 8

It's very unlikely you'd get a transfer mid-year, and it's even less likely as you don't meet the requirements.
Reply 9
Original post by Juno
It's very unlikely you'd get a transfer mid-year, and it's even less likely as you don't meet the requirements.

My seminar teacher suggested it saying she thought it probably wasn't too late, and don't they sometimes consider you under certain circumstances?
Reply 10
Original post by Goeke
That's ok! :P To be honest I didn't work hard enough for my A levels so my fault really. I contacted a few unis asking if I could transfer but their courses were already full. I don't mind retaking as it means better grades and a better uni. Maybe try for a foundation year at a better university as the entry requirements are generally lower

Thanks ! I'll check all this out now :smile: good luck with your A levels !
Reply 11
Thanks ! I'll check all this out now :smile: good luck with your A levels !

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 12
My seminar teacher suggested it saying she thought it probably wasn't too late, and don't they sometimes consider you under certain circumstances?

Your seminar teacher will not deal with the admissions side of things, and will also not know the policies at other unis.

At this point, you will have problems with financing. You may be forced to pay fees to the current uni for the whole term, and obviously the new uni will want fees as well. You've also got the problems of accommodation - if you live in rented accommodation currently, you may have to pay for the whole year even if you leave. If it's not uni owned accommodation you may be able to stay at your current accommodation, but you'll be giving yourself a long commute.
Reply 13
Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.
You will meet stupid people wherever you go. There were plenty on my undergrad at a Russell Group too.

The incorrect assumption you have made is thinking of the lectures as "lessons"; they're not. They are simply an introduction to the topic, which give you enough information to complete the rest of the research yourself. When you read a degree, it is this self-study which makes it. You can make that self-study as challenging as you like. If you truly are exemplary compared to your classmates, you should have an easy time securing a very good first and maybe even buddy up with academics who could endorse your articles for professional publication. University is what you make of it, and arrogantly supposing yourself better than people (from knowing them for a couple of months) isn't going to help you. There will be equally as smart and erudite people there, after all you got around the same grades as these people: all you have to do is find them.

I called it a class as a quick way instead of saying lecture every time.
I am not 'arrogantly assuming' I am smarter as you suggest since I don't believe academics equates to intelligence, this is simply by talking to most of them, that they are in fact mainly idiots. You are not at my university, hence you have not met these people so don't try and pretend you know. You went to a Russell Group university so you may have met a few people lacking basic intelligence but not nearly as many as here I can guarantee you!
This whole post you were just undermining and (not so) subtly saying I believe I'm better than these people, ffs.
When I arrived I was shocked at how they got into university and explaining one of the reasons I want to transfer since the students do reflect the university.
If you don't have anything helpful to say regarding my post, don't answer please.
Reply 14
Original post by Juno
Your seminar teacher will not deal with the admissions side of things, and will also not know the policies at other unis.

At this point, you will have problems with financing. You may be forced to pay fees to the current uni for the whole term, and obviously the new uni will want fees as well. You've also got the problems of accommodation - if you live in rented accommodation currently, you may have to pay for the whole year even if you leave. If it's not uni owned accommodation you may be able to stay at your current accommodation, but you'll be giving yourself a long commute.

I already have an hour long commute so that's not really an issue.
I called it a class as a quick way instead of saying lecture every time.
I am not 'arrogantly assuming' I am smarter as you suggest since I don't believe academics equates to intelligence, this is simply by talking to most of them, that they are in fact mainly idiots. You are not at my university, hence you have not met these people so don't try and pretend you know. You went to a Russell Group university so you may have met a few people lacking basic intelligence but not nearly as many as here I can guarantee you!
This whole post you were just undermining and (not so) subtly saying I believe I'm better than these people, ffs.
When I arrived I was shocked at how they got into university and explaining one of the reasons I want to transfer since the students do reflect the university.
If you don't have anything helpful to say regarding my post, don't answer please.

You do believe you're better than them. I was quite helpful in explaining that you could make it work out to your benefit. If you would like to pretend I never said that, because I hurt your little feelings, then go right ahead.
Reply 16
You do believe you're better than them. I was quite helpful in explaining that you could make it work out to your benefit. If you would like to pretend I never said that, because I hurt your little feelings, then go right ahead.

I believe I'm smarter than some of them yes, but better? No. I saw your advice and I appreciate that part but the rest of your post was just rude and making assumptions, which was completely unnecessary, what did you think you would gain from that?
Yes you did 'hurt my little feelings' actually largely due to the fact I'm diagnosed with BPD so thanks a lot dude.
I believe I'm smarter than some of them yes, but better? No. I saw your advice and I appreciate that part but the rest of your post was just rude and making assumptions, which was completely unnecessary, what did you think you would gain from that?
Yes you did 'hurt my little feelings' actually largely due to the fact I'm diagnosed with BPD so thanks a lot dude.

Sorry, I should go around expecting that everyone I talk to has BPD, and when they say arrogant things I should leave them unchecked. Bizarrely, I did not even criticise your being arrogant. I believe it is a healthy attitude to have, as long as you can take on board other people's criticism. As I said, there is some benefit to being the top of your class and mingling with the academics on an equal-footing. If you adjust your expectations just slightly, you have the potential to be happy on your course.

Sayonara.
Reply 18
Sorry, I should go around expecting that everyone I talk to has BPD, and when they say arrogant things I should leave them unchecked. Bizarrely, I did not even criticise your being arrogant. I believe it is a healthy attitude to have, as long as you can take on board other people's criticism. As I said, there is some benefit to being the top of your class and mingling with the academics on an equal-footing. If you adjust your expectations just slightly, you have the potential to be happy on your course.

Sayonara.

Oh drop it, who else would you have been implying was arrogant then? 'You arrogantly assume', 'Yes you do believe you're better than them', 'when they say arrogant things should leave them unchecked' um if you understand the English language that means it is directed at the person you were talking to. Also how does you 'checking them' benefit anyone? I wasn't being arrogant as the other people on this thread understood, and gave me helpful answers.
If you're going to make a nasty comment like 'hurt your little feelings' then why shouldn't I be honest? You did so I told you.
& stop pretending to be some kind of saint as if you've never said anything like I have in your life.
Stop injecting your sad little poison into my thread which was perfectly nice & helpful before you came in.
Ironically as you read this you will believe you yourself despite what I've said are still right which in itself is being arrogant.
Goodbye, answer if you wish but no one's going to give a damn.
Reply 19

Sayonara.

OP was not being arrogant. They simply realised that they are not at the same level as the majority of the people at their university. I went through the same thing, and can understand if OP is not completely happy being in that sort of environment. I was open-minded when I realised this at my university, yet in the end I just wasn't happy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending