Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current dilemma at University - I need help Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I am currently going through a dilemma, and I would love to hear your feedback on the issue at hand.

Ok, a rundown. Having received my A-Level results this August, in which I'm not particularly happy with (BCD) I decided to go ahead with University, opposed to taking a year out to resit. That University is Bangor University, and I am currently studying History.

The thing is, having come here, I've found that I am really not enjoying it. It seems to be the location above all else, which is rather odd, as when I came to visit Bangor, I loved it. I've contemplated dropping out to give me time in researching another university for September 2018. This will also give me the chance to work throughout the year, earning money, alongside possibly resitting an A-Level exam to boost that grade, as a private candidate (I really don't want to head back to college). My family seems to be against this, however.

Option 2 would be to stick this year out, work hard and aim for a 2:1/1st. This, in turn, would then allow me to transfer elsewhere, to another University. I would also resit a couple of modules of my Law, possibly boosting that D grade to something more substantial, as I fear that my A-Level grades will hold me back in transferring elsewhere (If this is false, then please, do tell).

This year has been tough. (DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to feel sorry for myself/look for an excuse - I just feel the need to explain my experience throughout the year). Earlier in February, my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Although no fault of her own, this sure did play a toll on my studies, as I'm sure that anyone else who has gone through such a thing can understand, it's far from easy. I still tried increasingly hard towards exam time. Yet, given the circumstances that arose, I feel that it played a negative toll on me and my studies, and so that is why the thought of resitting has come to mind. Fortunately, my mum is on a road of recovery, and she is nearing the end of her treatment. I have come to you today just for some advice. It's something that has been on my mind for a while.

What is the best course of action? Should I go with option one and drop out, reapplying next year? Or should I carry on this year, and aim for that 2:1, allowing me to transfer to another University? My overall plan is to study History as my undergraduate degree, alongside doing a postgraduate degree in Journalism, resulting in 4 years of study. That is why I have transferring in mind.

If anyone has experienced any area addressed in this post, whether that be the current dilemma I am under or something more personal such as a loved one suffering from cancer, please do feel free to message. Nobody should bottle something up, as I did for many months, in regards to the situation with my mother.

Thanks for taking the time out of your day to read this.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeupo)
    Hey guys,

I am currently going through a dilemma, and I would love to hear your feedback on the issue at hand.

Ok, a rundown. Having received my A-Level results this August, in which I'm not particularly happy with (*cough* BCD) I decided to go ahead with University, opposed to taking a year out to resit. That University is Bangor University, and I am currently studying History.

The thing is, having come here, I've found that I am really not enjoying it. It seems to be the location above all else. The course itself is fine, yet I've found that the location, which is tiny by the way, just isn't for me. Which is rather odd, as when I came to visit Bangor, I loved it. I've contemplated dropping out to give me time in researching another university for September 2018. This will also give me the chance to work throughout the year, earning money, alongside possibly resitting an A-Level exam to boost that grade, as a private candidate (I really don't want to head back to college). My family seems to be against this, however.

Option 2 would be to stick this year out, work hard and aim for a 2:1/1st. This, in turn, would then allow me to transfer elsewhere, to another University. I would also resit a couple of modules of my Law, possibly boosting that dreaded D grade to something more substantial, as I fear that my A-Level grades will hold me back in transferring elsewhere (If this is false, then please, do tell).

This year has been tough. (DISCLAIMER: I am not looking for any form of excuse, I just feel as though I should let the whole truth be told). Earlier in February, my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Although no fault of her own, this sure did play a toll on my studies, as I'm sure that anyone else who has gone through such a thing can understand, it's far from easy. I still tried increasingly hard towards exam time. Yet, given the circumstances that arose, I feel that it played a negative toll on me and my studies, and so that is why the thought of resitting has come to mind. Fortunately, my mum is on a road of recovery, and she is nearing the end of her treatment. I have come to you today just for some advice, advice from fellow students. It's something that has been on my mind for a while.

What is the best course of action guys? Should I go with option one and drop out, reapplying next year? Or should I carry on this year, and aim for that 2:1, allowing me to transfer to another University?

If anyone has experienced any area addressed in this post, whether that be the current dilemma I am under or something more personal such as a loved one suffering from cancer, please do feel free to message. Nobody should bottle something up, as I did for many months, in regards to the situation with my mother.

I can understand why perhaps you feel bangor isn't a good fit for you, i grew up near there and it is nice to visit for the day but it doesn't have that much to offer leisure wise. My grandad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer just before i started my A2 year so i can understand how that could have affected you.
    Rather than deciding between option 1 and option 2 as a separate thing, what i think could help is if you email universities that you would be interested in transferring to and asking whether they would accept you just with a levels or whether passing 1st year would make you more likely to be accepted. If you did get a good grade in 1st year then that could potentially make up for you D at a level in some universities eyes, but transfers are always a case by case basis. With any decision i think it's always best to have as much information as you can before making it.

ReputationRep:
    Have you researched any universities that would take you on to transfer in your second year? Getting a 2:1 and then transferring would save you time and money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    I can understand why perhaps you feel bangor isn't a good fit for you, i grew up near there and it is nice to visit for the day but it doesn't have that much to offer leisure wise. My grandad was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer just before i started my A2 year so i can understand how that could have affected you.
    Rather than deciding between option 1 and option 2 as a separate thing, what i think could help is if you email universities that you would be interested in transferring to and asking whether they would accept you just with a levels or whether passing 1st year would make you more likely to be accepted. If you did get a good grade in 1st year then that could potentially make up for you D at a level in some universities eyes, but transfers are always a case by case basis. With any decision i think it's always best to have as much information as you can before making it.
    Hey, thanks for the response!

I am sorry to hear about your grandad, what you went through must have been awful. I am always here, if you ever want to talk about it.

You make a valid point. I emailed some possible Universities just before writing this thread. I am now just waiting on their response, but you make a valid point in regards with the possibility of them just focusing on the end of year grade. I will no doubt keep you updated on their response.

Bangor itself is a really nice place like you said, I totally agree. I figured I was just attracted to areas outside of it such as Snowdonia. I've always loved Wales, another reason as to why I applied there. But you're right in the sense of there being a lack of things to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    Have you researched any universities that would take you on to transfer in your second year? Getting a 2:1 and then transferring would save you time and money.
    Hey!

I've emailed a few Universities about the possibility of transferring for the second year, just waiting on their response! I totally agree, and that's why I am a bit wary of dropping out, as like you said, it would save both time and money.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeupo)
    Hey, thanks for the response!

I am sorry to hear about your grandad, what you went through must have been awful. I am always here, if you ever want to talk about it.

You make a valid point. I emailed some possible Universities just before writing this thread. I am now just waiting on their response, but you make a valid point in regards with the possibility of them just focusing on the end of year grade. I will no doubt keep you updated on their response.

Bangor itself is a really nice place like you said, I totally agree. I figured I was just attracted to areas outside of it such as Snowdonia. I've always loved Wales, another reason as to why I applied there. But you're right in the sense of there being a lack of things to do.
    It was pretty difficult, my dad passed when I was 9 so I got through it as i d gotten through worse. That's very kind of you

Hopefully they won't take long to give you a response so you can find the best option for you.
    Yes Snowdonia is beautiful, I do miss it sometimes. Perhaps Cardiff could be an option for you, it would be possible for you to see the countryside but you get the benefits of a big city.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeupo)
    Hey!

I've emailed a few Universities about the possibility of transferring for the second year, just waiting on their response! I totally agree, and that's why I am a bit wary of dropping out, as like you said, it would save both time and money.
    That's good to hear! Providing you are still happy with the course and the environment about the universities you want to transfer to, this would be the better option. It means you haven't wasted the year, but you don't have to spend your entire degree at somewhere you aren't 100% happy. Fingers crossed there is space for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    It was pretty difficult, my dad passed when I was 9 so I got through it as i d gotten through worse. That's very kind of you

Hopefully they won't take long to give you a response so you can find the best option for you.
    Yes Snowdonia is beautiful, I do miss it sometimes. Perhaps Cardiff could be an option for you, it would be possible for you to see the countryside but you get the benefits of a big city.
    I am so sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine what that must have been like. But I am glad that you got through it.

Cardiff sounds like a good shout! A mix of a city type environment with the country just outside sounds great, and definitely worth a visit!

Tell me about it, Snowdonia is such a great place! I remember going straight there again on my first week at Bangor!

Thank you so much for your help, I will keep you posted on their response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakelove)
    That's good to hear! Providing you are still happy with the course and the environment about the universities you want to transfer to, this would be the better option. It means you haven't wasted the year, but you don't have to spend your entire degree at somewhere you aren't 100% happy. Fingers crossed there is space for you!
    Exactly! So far, I am enjoying the History course, it's just a shame that I'm not fond of the location!

I was so set on going there, it was such a disappointment when I arrived. The people I've met there seem to love it. Each to their own I guess, it's just not for me!

Oh well, I have emailed a range of Universities, and I plan to go to some more open days, with one being this Saturday. I will keep you posted on their response
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeupo)
    I am so sorry to hear that. I can't even imagine what that must have been like. But I am glad that you got through it.

Cardiff sounds like a good shout! A mix of a city type environment with the country just outside sounds great, and definitely worth a visit!

Tell me about it, Snowdonia is such a great place! I remember going straight there again on my first week at Bangor!

Thank you so much for your help, I will keep you posted on their response
    What doesn't kill you make you stronger and all that. Glad to help, let me know how it goes there is a Bangor to Cardiff train if you wanted to visit there but I do think it's worth one.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeupo)
    Hey guys,

Ok, a rundown. Having received my A-Level results this August, in which I'm not particularly happy with (BCD) I decided to go ahead with University, opposed to taking a year out to resit. That University is Bangor University, and I am currently studying History.

The thing is, having come here, I've found that I am really not enjoying it. It seems to be the location above all else, which is rather odd, as when I came to visit Bangor, I loved it. I've contemplated dropping out to give me time in researching another university for September 2018. This will also give me the chance to work throughout the year, earning money, alongside possibly resitting an A-Level exam to boost that grade, as a private candidate (I really don't want to head back to college). My family seems to be against this, however.

Option 2 would be to stick this year out, work hard and aim for a 2:1/1st. This, in turn, would then allow me to transfer elsewhere, to another University. I would also resit a couple of modules of my Law, possibly boosting that D grade to something more substantial, as I fear that my A-Level grades will hold me back in transferring elsewhere (If this is false, then please, do tell).

This year has been tough. (DISCLAIMER: I am not trying to feel sorry for myself/look for an excuse - I just feel the need to explain my experience throughout the year). Earlier in February, my mum was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. Although no fault of her own, this sure did play a toll on my studies, as I'm sure that anyone else who has gone through such a thing can understand, it's far from easy. I still tried increasingly hard towards exam time. Yet, given the circumstances that arose, I feel that it played a negative toll on me and my studies, and so that is why the thought of resitting has come to mind. Fortunately, my mum is on a road of recovery, and she is nearing the end of her treatment. I have come to you today just for some advice. It's something that has been on my mind for a while.

What is the best course of action? Should I go with option one and drop out, reapplying next year? Or should I carry on this year, and aim for that 2:1, allowing me to transfer to another University? My overall plan is to study History as my undergraduate degree, alongside doing a postgraduate degree in Journalism, resulting in 4 years of study. That is why I have transferring in mind.

Hi Zeupo,

Sorry that you are going through a difficult time and a bit of a dilemma at the moment.

Have you tried contacting our student services team, they are always happy to help and give you advice. Please follow the link below to find there contact details. If you would like to send me a message on here to discuss it further or need help in contacting the right person, please do not hesitate to do so.

https://www.bangor.ac.uk/studentservices/

All the best

Sera (Bangor University Official Rep)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.