Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got 5A*s, 2As at GCSE at one of the worst schools in the country... I’m now predicted A*A*A at A-level (at a good sixth form) in maths, further maths and physics respectively. Would this put me in good stead to receive an offer for maths or is it below their par?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Mathematician-)
    I got 5A*s, 2As at GCSE at one of the worst schools in the country... I’m now predicted A*A*A at A-level (at a good sixth form) in maths, further maths and physics respectively. Would this put me in good stead to receive an offer for maths or is it below their par?
    I possibly think it would put you in a good position especially since you went to one of the worst schools. If your secondary school has been referred to as that in the newspaper or on ofsted reports, use this in your personal statement. It would show how committed you are and how intellectual you are to still take advantage of a deprived area. Also your predicted grades in those subjects should help too.

I personally think that you have a very good chance!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Ofstead put it in special measures and only 35%of my year got 5 A*-C including English and maths, almost half the national average.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Mathematician-)
    Ofstead put it in special measures and only 35%of my year got 5 A*-C including English and maths, almost half the national average.
    Then I advise you mention about your schools status in your PS. This could really help. Obviously don’t slander them but just mention about the percentage of grades and the circumstances you faced. (Special measures, limited resources, etc,)

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Either you mention it in your PS or you get your new sixth form to mention it in your reference; personally I’d go with the latter, but it’s up to you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.