Turn on thread page Beta

When is it appropriate to stop wishing your ex happy birthday? watch

We broke up over a year ago (on good terms) and last year I wished him a happy birthday out of politeness and so he didn't think I was feeling hostile towards him. He also wished me a happy birthday for mine a few months later.

Its his birthday this weekend and though we've recently bumped into each other and were friendly, we aren't really friends- we don't text each other or hang out.

I'm planning on not wishing him a happy birthday because it seems silly to be fake and act like we're friends. But is it worse to not say anything? I don't want to seem petty and immature or for him to think I hate him but I just think a happy birthday text is going to feel a bit pointless.

What would you do? Do you still wish your exes a happy birthday?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    We broke up over a year ago (on good terms) and last year I wished him a happy birthday out of politeness and so he didn't think I was feeling hostile towards him. He also wished me a happy birthday for mine a few months later.

Its his birthday this weekend and though we've recently bumped into each other and were friendly, we aren't really friends- we don't text each other or hang out.

I'm planning on not wishing him a happy birthday because it seems silly to be fake and act like we're friends. But is it worse to not say anything? I don't want to seem petty and immature or for him to think I hate him but I just think a happy birthday text is going to feel a bit pointless.

What would you do? Do you still wish your exes a happy birthday?
    Just treat him as anyone else that you don't text or hang out - just leave it. If it's all well and good then it will make no difference to his life in this situation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.