Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Has been a dream for a long time to get into Oxbridge and do English Literature - obtaining a Masters degree and then a PHD in order to become a university lecturer. However, my GCSEs weren't as good as expected which I believe were affected by extenuating circumstances at the time - (my grandfather was suffering through a painful battle with inoperable cancer and I had self-esteem issues and was depressed and anti-social as a result of my acne)
    I passed all 11 GCSEs that I took which consisted of:

English Literature 9 (A**) (100% DD)
    English Language 8 (A*)
    Biology B
    Chemistry A
    Physics B
    French A*
    Maths B
    History A*
    Geography A
    Drama B
    ICT A

Pls reply ASAP and thank you so much!!! xxxx

ReputationRep:
    No
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imaanmxnir394)
    Hi guys,
    Has been a dream for a long time to get into Oxbridge and do English Literature - obtaining a Masters degree and then a PHD in order to become a university lecturer. However, my GCSEs weren't as good as expected which I believe were affected by extenuating circumstances at the time - (my grandfather was suffering through a painful battle with inoperable cancer and I had self-esteem issues and was depressed and anti-social as a result of my acne)

English Language 8 (A*)
    Biology B
    Chemistry A
    Physics B
    French A*
    Maths B
    History A*
    Geography A
    Drama B
    ICT A

They're a lot better than mine and I'm an Oxford applicant (I got 3A*s, 3As, 4Bs and a C...), so you've got a better chance than me at least. Just wait and see how you do, I guess. Work hard with the exams you have now, get a good personal statement, get amazing predicted grades and try to ace your entrance exam.

In the end, they do look at all parts of your application equally, so your GCSE grades shouldn't matter as much. The better the rest of your application is, the more chance you have of grabbing an interview. I know a girl that got all A*s at GCSE, all A*s at A level, but was rejected from Oxford. In the end, they do look at more than your grades, your passion and personality matters too.

There's no harm in applying, just remember that there are loads of other amazing universities out there who would love to take you. I'm a hypocrite in saying this, but Oxbridge is not the be all and end all. You will get just as good of a, if not better, quality of education at any other university out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reece.W.J)
    No
    Elaborate please x

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

English Language 8 (A*)
    Biology B
    Chemistry A
    Physics B
    French A*
    Maths B
    History A*
    Geography A
    Drama B
    ICT A

I think those are great especially considering the circumstances. You can submit a form alongside your application to make the university aware of the adverse family situation as well as your health issues if they were diagnosed. Very well done on the english lit score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieCeeJay)
    They're a lot better than mine and I'm an Oxford applicant (I got 3A*s, 3As, 4Bs and a C...), so you've got a better chance than me at least. Just wait and see how you do, I guess. Work hard with the exams you have now, get a good personal statement, get amazing predicted grades and try to ace your entrance exam.

In the end, they do look at all parts of your application equally, so your GCSE grades shouldn't matter as much. The better the rest of your application is, the more chance you have of grabbing an interview. I know a girl that got all A*s at GCSE, all A*s at A level, but was rejected from Oxford. In the end, they do look at more than your grades, your passion and personality matters too.

There's no harm in applying, just remember that there are loads of other amazing universities out there who would love to take you. I'm a hypocrite in saying this, but Oxbridge is not the be all and end all. You will get just as good of a, if not better, quality of education at any other university out there.

Thank you!! Your reply has really eased my nerves and yes, working hard this year and acing my A-Levels is what I really am pushing myself to do
    I work hard and I just want to show Oxford that I don't make the same mistakes twice - I've learnt and progressed from GCSE and that I've a much stronger work ethic
    What course do you do at Oxford?
    Would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips on how to write an amazing personal statement xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge largely doesn't care about GCSEs, and will probably interview you anyway.

Oxford interview fewer and you may struggle to get an interview in the first place, but that isn't an absolute black mark against you depending on the rest of your application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

English Language 8 (A*)
    Biology B
    Chemistry A
    Physics B
    French A*
    Maths B
    History A*
    Geography A
    Drama B
    ICT A

I think you have a pretty good chance considering you did very well in the essay writing subjects - and that's the sort of subject you are applying for. There was a girl in our school who applied to Oxford with 'average' GCSE's overall, but very strong grades in the essay-writing subject and she had gotten through to the interview.

Just do well in your AS and have good predicted grades for A level.

So best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    I think those are great especially considering the circumstances. You can submit a form alongside your application to make the university aware of the adverse family situation as well as your health issues if they were diagnosed. Very well done on the english lit score!
    Thank you!! And what do you mean diagnosed? Like, my acne was diagnosed but no-one diagnosed me of depression that came as a result of looking awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Cambridge largely doesn't care about GCSEs, and will probably interview you anyway.

Oxford interview fewer and you may struggle to get an interview in the first place, but that isn't an absolute black mark against you depending on the rest of your application.
    Thanks for the reply and wow that's a relief. A lot of our teachers stress the importance of GCSEs seeing as the new spec doesn't allow us to do AS Level - the subjects are taken all the way to end of A2 , so would this affect anything?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply and wow that's a relief. A lot of our teachers stress the importance of GCSEs seeing as the new spec doesn't allow us to do AS Level - the subjects are taken all the way to end of A2 , so would this affect anything?
    The lack of AS levels was part of the reasoning behind the (re)introduction of pre-interview assessments - how these are used tin the admissions process tends to vary between subjects and colleges, but broadly they're considered along with your GCSEs to get an idea of your current academic attainment, along with your reference and predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    The lack of AS levels was part of the reasoning behind the (re)introduction of pre-interview assessments - how these are used tin the admissions process tends to vary between subjects and colleges, but broadly they're considered along with your GCSEs to get an idea of your current academic attainment, along with your reference and predictions.
    Ok that's good - thanks x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username3400040)
    Thank you!! Your reply has really eased my nerves and yes, working hard this year and acing my A-Levels is what I really am pushing myself to do
    I work hard and I just want to show Oxford that I don't make the same mistakes twice - I've learnt and progressed from GCSE and that I've a much stronger work ethic
    What course do you do at Oxford?
    Would really appreciate it if you could give me some tips on how to write an amazing personal statement xx
    No problem at all! I'm not actually in, though, haha, but I applied for History and English. I have spoken to people from Oxford who know their stuff though.

I don't think I could give you many tips, unfortunately, because my lovely English teacher helped me so much with mine. Just make sure you sound like the most passionate student in the world, but don't use the word passion. Also, back up everything to your degree - why would that extracurricular you took in first year help you with your degree? Things like that.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

English Language 8 (A*)
    Biology B
    Chemistry A
    Physics B
    French A*
    Maths B
    History A*
    Geography A
    Drama B
    ICT A

A grade 9 is NOT an A**, it is simply the higher end of the distribution of A* grades.

Also 4 Bs, along with only 4A*s, will raise a bit of concern I'd imagine. Furthermore, if I read on an application that your excuse for these GCSEs were (partly at least) you being socially anxious due to your "acne", I'd be a bit.. well, you know how it sounds, don't you?

There, I've been honest.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    Has been a dream for a long time to get into Oxbridge
    Isn't it everyone's dream here in TSR to go to Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    you should watch Ibz Mo the youtuber he got into Cambridge with D grades
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

English Language 8 (A*)
    Biology B
    Chemistry A
    Physics B
    French A*
    Maths B
    History A*
    Geography A
    Drama B
    ICT A

Thanks for your post. Well, last year 111 candidates were interviewed for English (Q300) with four or fewer A*s at GCSE. And of these 111, 46 achieved an offer. We hope this answers your question but you might like to take a look at this link which explains how and why Oxford contextualises GCSE results:

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/unde...al-data?wssl=1

We were sorry to read about your personal circumstances and suggest that your school referee mentions something about this when you apply. We also hope things are going better for you now at 6th form.

Please tag us with any other queries you think we can help with @BrasenoseAdm

Brasenose Admissions

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! And what do you mean diagnosed? Like, my acne was diagnosed but no-one diagnosed me of depression that came as a result of looking awful
    Yeah, I meant a diagnosis of a mental health condition

ReputationRep:
    I think some replies need to stop being so insensitive towards "acne". Unless you have suffered through severe cystic acne, you won't understand the mental impact it has (which isn't diagnosed as it is expected) . I suffered through years with acne and I can tell you from personal experience how damaging to self-esteem it can be. I found it painful to look in the mirror and was scared to show my face in case of being judged.I was depressed and extremely antisocial (refused to leave the house) so if you don't understand, then don't judge.
    A few people "JAKEY_99" for example need to walk a mile in another's shoes and stop being so quick to judge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Isn't it everyone's dream here in TSR to go to Oxbridge?
    Depends on their abilities. For example, for medicine a less prestigious university can be preferable as they tend to be less research based and you learn far less whilst doing far more "practicals". If you hate the idea of surgery and are talkative, and would much rather be a GP then it's easy to see how you might not want oxbridge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.