The Student Room Group

Two degrees

Hello guys,

I'll be applying to several universities, two for Maths and two for Maths and/with Economics degrees and the last one could be for either degrees.

I'm applying to Warwick and KCL for Maths.
I'm applying to Nottingham, LSE for Maths and Econ or Maths with Econ.

Will I be put at any disadvantage as my personal statement consists of Maths and Economics rather than Maths on its own - it's mostly split into the two subjects and people keep telling me that for big universities like Warwick the admissions tutor will just go confused reading about Economics when you're applying for Maths on its own and I will be disadvantaged/rejected.

Please can someone make me aware of the truth as I am confused and stressed.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Competitive universities such as Warwick are very keen on the personal statement and want to make sure you have fully understood the course correctly. Therefore, If you speak about Economics they will get confused and therefore maybe doubt if you are the best candidate for the place as thet may interpret you haven't understood correctly the course.

Therefore I recommend you to not be too specific in Economics because it will put you in a disadvantage.
However, LSE especially are very particular about their PSs, so not talking about econ would put you at a disadvantage there...
Reply 3
Original post by lazaroguille
Competitive universities such as Warwick are very keen on the personal statement and want to make sure you have fully understood the course correctly. Therefore, If you speak about Economics they will get confused and therefore maybe doubt if you are the best candidate for the place as thet may interpret you haven't understood correctly the course.

Therefore I recommend you to not be too specific in Economics because it will put you in a disadvantage.

Thank you, yes I'm making sure it's mostly Maths but I'm just scared for universities where I've applied for both courses. This is complete chaos.
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
However, LSE especially are very particular about their PSs, so not talking about econ would put you at a disadvantage there...

Yeah, basically lol.. this is a major problem that I've got to sort out. :'(
You could email admissions tutors at the universities you're applying to for economics and maths and ask if they'd accept you emailing an extra little bit on economics as your personal statement is likely to focus on maths. If they say no, its not the end of the world and at least you tried!
Reply 6
maybe if u choose which degree you prefer it will be much easier, or maybe if you prefer, eg start maths and have a minor in economics. It is a bit ****ed up actually, I have the same problem with international business and german 🤔
Original post by Chittesh14
Yeah, basically lol.. this is a major problem that I've got to sort out. :'(

Have you asked Warwick and KCL whether they’ll mind getting a maths and economics PS?
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
Have you asked Warwick and KCL whether they’ll mind getting a maths and economics PS?

No, I am planning to call them up. Is that the right thing to do?

EDIT: It's literally so much maths and barely any economics tbh.
No, I am planning to call them up. Is that the right thing to do?

EDIT: It's literally so much maths and barely any economics tbh.

If it’s mainly maths LSE will reject you.

Call up the straight maths universities tomorrow. Maths is generally a subject with very little to no weight put on the PS.
Original post by PQ
If it’s mainly maths LSE will reject you.

Call up the straight maths universities tomorrow. Maths is generally a subject with very little to no weight put on the PS.

This is why I'm getting very uspet. I feel choosing Economics was a wrong decision - I didn't really want to choose it either.
I'm doing Maths with Economics at LSE so it should be 75%-25% so I'm not sure how much Economics I need to write about.

Thank you for the advice :smile:.
This is why I'm getting very uspet. I feel choosing Economics was a wrong decision - I didn't really want to choose it either.
I'm doing Maths with Economics at LSE so it should be 75%-25% so I'm not sure how much Economics I need to write about.

Thank you for the advice :smile:.

If you don’t want to do economics then please don’t apply for it. That’s a terrible idea- 3+ years studying something you don’t want to will not end well.
Original post by PQ
If you don’t want to do economics then please don’t apply for it. That’s a terrible idea- 3+ years studying something you don’t want to will not end well.

I like the subject, but it doesn't interest me as much as Mathematics and my teacher sort of lured me into studying it - I find it interesting, but my natural feel is not there.
I like the subject, but it doesn't interest me as much as Mathematics and my teacher sort of lured me into studying it - I find it interesting, but my natural feel is not there.

Don’t apply for it then. Or look into courses like MORSE that approach it from a particularly mathematical direction.

You don’t have to apply to LSE if they don’t offer a course that gets you excited.
Original post by PQ
Don’t apply for it then. Or look into courses like MORSE that approach it from a particularly mathematical direction.

You don’t have to apply to LSE if they don’t offer a course that gets you excited.

Yeah, I guess I might have to do that.
As in Maths with Economics is quite cool, it's a lot of Maths and links with the part of Economics that I love (Statistics), so I'll definitely enjoy it - but yeah, I might just burn out in the 2nd and 3rd year which is never a good sign
Yeah, I guess I might have to do that.
As in Maths with Economics is quite cool, it's a lot of Maths and links with the part of Economics that I love (Statistics), so I'll definitely enjoy it - but yeah, I might just burn out in the 2nd and 3rd year which is never a good sign

Take your time. Look at the details of different courses. Talk to current students (student unions can often put you in touch or look for clubs/society groups on student union websites/Facebook). Go on open days/campus tours (you could go on a road trip over half term - often you can arrange to stay in halls for not a lot).

Make the right choices for you.
Original post by PQ
Take your time. Look at the details of different courses. Talk to current students (student unions can often put you in touch or look for clubs/society groups on student union websites/Facebook). Go on open days/campus tours (you could go on a road trip over half term - often you can arrange to stay in halls for not a lot).

Make the right choices for you.

Thank you. I have looked at the details and enjoy the course at LSE, however I might change my course at Nottingham from Maths & Economics to straight Maths! I've attended open days and liked most universities - Nottingham was alright lol, the weather was to blame mostly lol! I'm also going to a campus tour to LSE over the half term :P.

Good news is that I contacted Warwick and King's and they say they complete understand if people have other subjects in their personal statements e.g. Economics or Physics because they understand they may be applying to other courses at different universities. Warwick said it's common for people to apply for Maths at Warwick and Economics at another university, so they understand the P.S. could be Economics heavy too. But as long as the passion for Mathematics is there and there is more MATHS than ECONOMICS, I should be fine - assuming the PS is good :colondollar:.

Thanks for the solid advice :wink: came handy!!

Quick Reply

Latest