Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I’m currently applying for chemical engineering with a levels and looking at the entry requirements I meet the grades for second year entry but I was wondering how many people do go for second year entry and if any of you have any experience of this. Also what is it like being a fresher in second year and how easy is it to make friends as people would have found friends in first year.
    Also are you treated as a fresher in terms of accommodation.

Sorry for all these questions but I have no knowledge of Scottish Unis as I’ve heard that a lot of Scottish people either do highers and start year 1 at 17 or do advanced highers and start year 2 at 18 so would be in a similar position.

Thanks anyone who can help.

Tl:dr what’s your experience of second year entry.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Currently debating wether to do first or second year entry too but for chemistry. I’m a Scottish student with highers and studying advanced highers now. Although I’m predicted As in my AH courses I may still go for first year because there’s a lot of uni life you will miss out on and you will still have to catch up on everything you’ve missed in first year. I know St. Andrews do an extra course to help you but the others just expect you to do it in spare time I think. As far as I’m aware a levels are in between highers and advanced highers in difficulty so there will be other stuff you may have missed too. But I was told that a lot of people who have done advanced highers and meet the second year entry but go for first then end up skipping classes because they get bored and fail at the end of the year. they get a resit but still isn’t great.
    I think it mainly is up to you and what you want and the uni, like Glasgow doesn’t like people doing it but Edinburgh and standrews are happy for it to happen. If you’re very studious, prepared to do extra work and want to do a year less of uni then go for it. If you want to go to parties every weekend then maybe go for first year

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electronegative)
    Currently debating wether to do first or second year entry too but for chemistry. I’m a Scottish student with highers and studying advanced highers now. Although I’m predicted As in my AH courses I may still go for first year because there’s a lot of uni life you will miss out on and you will still have to catch up on everything you’ve missed in first year. I know St. Andrews do an extra course to help you but the others just expect you to do it in spare time I think. As far as I’m aware a levels are in between highers and advanced highers in difficulty so there will be other stuff you may have missed too. But I was told that a lot of people who have done advanced highers and meet the second year entry but go for first then end up skipping classes because they get bored and fail at the end of the year. they get a resit but still isn’t great.
    I think it mainly is up to you and what you want and the uni, like Glasgow doesn’t like people doing it but Edinburgh and standrews are happy for it to happen. If you’re very studious, prepared to do extra work and want to do a year less of uni then go for it. If you want to go to parties every weekend then maybe go for first year

Hope this helped
    Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    I think it may be wiser to start from first year because it takes time to settle in and you can gain feedback in first year comfortably. Whereas, in second year it counts so if you do badly it can go towards classification. First year is usually to bring everyone up to speed and help everyone settle in.

After doing first year, you can look at your feedback and see what you need to improve on in second year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.