Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I’m taking Maths and FM
    Maths is with Edexcel, my school hasn’t decided what board for FM
    I’m not doing AS and I’m doing all my A Levels next year (Maths, FM, Physics and potentially Chemistry)
    FM modules are also undecided (I’m doing all of Maths this year and all of FM next year)
    Really enjoying just the general problem solving questions
    I’m currently debating between Maths, Physics or NatSci at uni!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    This looks like a great idea, thanks for this! Let's get started on some questions...

Are you taking single or double maths?
    Double maths ftw
    What exam board are you on?
    AQA for both, although my school is still slightly undecided I think, which is handy...
    Are you being entered in for any exams this year?
    Nope, I'm doing both next year. Edit: Now I think about it, our school said something about entering us for AS in maths and further maths, but not other subjects so idk :confused:
    What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable)?
    We're all doing a mechanics module and a stats module
    What's your favourite topic so far?
    Probably polynomials because algebra. I love it but I hate it simultaneously when I muck up. But when you get the answer after hours of pain... the feeling is so good
    What do you want to study at uni?
    Most likely maths. Potentially maths and physics, but it depends how interesting physics is this year and whether it gets any better. So most probably, straight maths.

ReputationRep:
    What's the Difference to the Old Spec?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4cc4n4)
    For the old spec, there was a lot of choices for modules you could take, and you could even avoid mechanics/ statistics entirely. In the new spec, maths is entirely standardised, meaning everyone must take the two thirds pure, one sixth each stats and mechanics that the exam boards have put in the specification.
    In regard to further maths, there is now 50% standardised content with the remaining 50% being the optional modules which you can choose any combination of (well the school can!) Previously it had a similar structure to the maths, in 5 hay there were a couple of compulsory pure units and you could choose (within some limits) your applied units.
    There's a link in the OP (at the top of the other resources) summarising the changes for the new spec if you want more info

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    There are no modules anymore, so instead of 6 exams in C1, C2, S1 etc. with 3 modules for AS and 3 for A2, A-level maths is composed of two pure papers (mixing content from C1-4) and one applied paper (containing both stats and mechanics). All of that content is compulsory and further maths also has 2 compulsory papers. All exams are sat at the end of 2 years (except some schools will enter their further maths candidates for A-level maths after 1 year of study).

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Are you taking single or double maths?Double
    Edexcel
    No, luckily.
    Decision and mechanics.
    I don't really have at the moment, but I enjoy pure best.
    Physics

ReputationRep:
    Structure aside, the content hasn't changed massively, mainly it has just been shuffled around a bit, at least in single. Though, as there are no options now, you will probably find yourself studying some topics that you would not have study had you took the old spec.

ReputationRep:
    Single What exam board are you on?
    EdexcelAre you being entered in for any exams this year?
    Yes economics and maths What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable)?
    N/AWhat's your favourite topic so far?
    Hidden Quadratics What do you want to study at uni?
    Engineering at preferably a RG uni

ReputationRep:
    I find it interesting that no-one has expressed much of an interest in applied maths. Though I suppose most will have studied very little applied so far.

What a coincidence, the poster below does

ReputationRep:
    Single maths
    Edexcel
    Yes, mock exams
    Statistics I love, Pure is very hard
    Medicine- preferably Cambridge or Barts

ReputationRep:
    Old spec > new spec. Modules like S4, M4 and M5 are slowly disappearing, which is unfortunate. The topics in M4 and M5 are interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sonechka)
    There are no modules anymore, so instead of 6 exams in C1, C2, S1 etc. with 3 modules for AS and 3 for A2, A-level maths is composed of two pure papers (mixing content from C1-4) and one applied paper (containing both stats and mechanics). All of that content is compulsory and further maths also has 2 compulsory papers. All exams are sat at the end of 2 years (except some schools will enter their further maths candidates for A-level maths after 1 year of study).
    That's kinda **** tbh, them spread over 2 years is better imo, but S1 is definitely a fun module to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heptagon)
    Old spec > new spec. Modules like S4, M4 and M5 are slowly disappearing, which is unfortunate. The topics in M4 and M5 are interesting.
    (speaking in terms of Edexcel) Most of M3 (and a few topics from M4 and M5) is included in FM1 and FM2, but you're right in that a considerable number of M4/M5 topics have disappeared from the specification. S4, to a lesser extent; looking at the content mapping document, most of it is split between FS1 and FS2. Edexcel has a more in-depth breakdown in their content mapping document. Not sure about the content for the other exam boards.

Also, I prefer the new specification, if only for FP1 and FP2.

(Original post by lion-tiger)
      Dentistry
      Same!!

ReputationRep:
      I'm taking Maths (is double maths the same as further maths? In any case I'm not doing further!)
      Edexcel exam board
      Not sure about modules, but I love pure maths and hate stats at the moment
      I'm not planning to do maths at uni, I'm almost completely a humanities student (my other A-Levels are History, English Lit and Philosophy&Ethics) so will probably go on to study Law or PPE hopefully!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by brownanya122)
      I'm taking Maths (is double maths the same as further maths? In any case I'm not doing further!)
      Edexcel exam board
      Not sure about modules, but I love pure maths and hate stats at the moment
      I'm not planning to do maths at uni, I'm almost completely a humanities student (my other A-Levels are History, English Lit and Philosophy&Ethics) so will probably go on to study Law or PPE hopefully!
      yeah "double maths" usually refers to taking both single and further. Nice subject choices! What attracted you to maths in particular?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by _gcx)
      yeah "double maths" usually refers to taking both single and further. Nice subject choices! What attracted you to maths in particular?
      Thanks! I discovered I actually quite liked maths late into year 11 after many years of detesting it, and I suprised myself with getting a 9 so i figured I'd keep it on as an A-Level!
      • TSR Support Team
      • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
      Hi everyone :wavey:

(Original post by _gcx)
      FP1, D1. Might be subject to change.
      :puke:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Notnek)
      Hi everyone :wavey:

:puke:
      well, my teachers were initially considering FS1 and D1, so at least I'm not doing that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      I'm taking maths and further maths
      Both Edexcel
      The As exams
      We are doing FS1 the 1st year and FD1 the 2nd but D1 may change.
      Haven't done much yet but probably complex numbers
      Maths

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.