The Student Room Group

Year 12 Maths Study Group (new spec!)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notnek
I should add that I'm not saying that you should display your gender but not displaying it may account for why some people assume it incorrectly :smile:

No worries, I didn't interpret it like that! Well it would certainly increase the chances :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 161
Original post by Lemur14
We still laugh about it now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I don’t think you’d ever forget that lol!
Original post by Black Water
Yeah I don’t think you’d ever forget that lol!

No it's not :toofunny:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 163

PRSOM.
chuck some hard questions on probability at me S1 stuff.
Are you taking single or double maths?
Single
What exam board are you on?
OCR MEI
Are you being entered in for any exams this year?
Not that I'm aware of
What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable
N/A
What's your favourite topic so far?
Polynomials
What do you want to study at uni?
Probably Economics with a language or international relations
- Double

- Edexcel

- Yep; 2 Maths, 2 Further Maths for AS

What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable)?
- D1 and FM1 (Officially doing in lessons)
- FP1, FM2 and FP2 (all self-studying)

- Differentiation/Integration

- Astrophysics (with a huge amount of Maths as well)
Double
Edexcel
Maths A-Level (doing maths and further maths linearly so I have already completed maths)
FP1 and FP2
The teacher made a mistake and taught us about integrating orders of rotation. That was fun- I generally like anything to do with shapes.

Architecture
Edexcel have sent a lot of additional resources to teachers so do make sure your teacher shares these resources with you.

Why are Year 13s posting on this thread?!
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Edexcel have sent a lot of additional resources to teachers so do make sure your teacher shares these resources with you.

Why are Year 13s posting on this thread?!

Thanks for the heads up! Our teacher seems quite good at sharing things, but that's always good to know :yep: They seem to have moved on to AQA resources now but hopefully this means we'll be back on to Edexcel ones!
No clue :laugh:
Maths this year and then FM fully next year.
Edexcel
Whole of A level Maths (new spec)
Will be doing all the pures.
Loved cayley tables, euclidean algorithm at FM as well as complex numbers. Loved calculus and trig at A level
.What do you want to study at uni?
Maths, hopefully in Cambridge.
Hi - Oxford have released the new spec for the MAT reflecting the new A-levels (https://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/study-here/undergraduate-study/maths-admissions-test).

For STEP, the new spec is not ready yet but there is a bit of info about the new exams on http://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/step/about-step/.

If you think you might be sitting the PAT, NSAA, ENGAA, PBSAA etc etc all the relevant details are on the admission testing service website. For some (NSAA, ENGAA, PBSAA etc) you need to look under "University of Cambridge pre-interview assessments).

If you think you might want to study maths/engineering etc at university then now is a good time to start on the STEP support programme :-) (Even if you don't think you will be sitting STEP, the foundation modules are a good way of preparing for university maths)
Wow, I had no idea this was a thing!!
I'm doing both Maths and FM on Edexcel. I'm probably going to do both at A-level as well. (I'm doing AS this year)
I'm doing Double Mechanics (FM1 and FM2) as my options and I don't particularly have a favourite topic although Work, Energy and Power in FM1 is very nice. :yep:
Aiming to study NatSci at uni :biggrin:
Original post by nyxnko_
Work, Energy and Power in FM1 is very nice. :yep:

Great, I have 2 entire papers on that to do...you can do them :wink:
Lovely to see you :hugs:
Are you taking single or double maths? Double
What exam board are you on? Edexcel
Are you being entered in for any exams this year? AS math and AS FM Physics Chem IT
What optional modules are you doing for further maths (if applicable)? Further mechanics 1 & Further mechanics 2
What's your favorite topic so far? Circular motion
What do you want to study at uni? Aerospace engineering (honestly i dont know)
Does anyone know how to get the locked papers on the Pearson website, i really need to get some practice in for math FM
Original post by Lemur14
Great, I have 2 entire papers on that to do...you can do them :wink:
Lovely to see you :hugs:

I would actually be very happy to do them but I think the practice will be good for you :wink: (maybe it'll even kindle your love of mechanics :lol:)
It's lovely to see you too!! :hugs: I think I'm back on TSR for now :biggrin:

Original post by TarekHelmy
Does anyone know how to get the locked papers on the Pearson website, i really need to get some practice in for math FM

Sorry. Maybe try asking your teachers if they have them or if they can share them? I know my school is using them for mocks so maybe your school is too?
Original post by nyxnko_
I would actually be very happy to do them but I think the practice will be good for you :wink: (maybe it'll even kindle your love of mechanics :lol:)
It's lovely to see you too!! :hugs: I think I'm back on TSR for now :biggrin:

It will...that's why I don't want to do them :lol: We only started the topic last week so it's too difficult :frown: Nothing is going to kindle my love of mechanics...not by the point it's 2 weeks until the exam and we haven't finished the spec :redface:
:woo::yay: I don't think I've updated my GYG since you left :facepalm:
Original post by Lemur14
It will...that's why I don't want to do them :lol: We only started the topic last week so it's too difficult :frown: Nothing is going to kindle my love of mechanics...not by the point it's 2 weeks until the exam and we haven't finished the spec :redface:
:woo::yay: I don't think I've updated my GYG since you left :facepalm:

do them anyway :lol:
oh dear... that's very concerning if you've only just started it. you literally have 2 weeks until the exam!! :eek3: (shame :sad: you're missing out)
:lol: you could update tonight? I'm planning on updating tonight or maybe tomorrow. I probably won't read up on other people's GYGs starting from when I left but whenever they post, I'll still reply kinda thing.
Original post by Lemur14

Welcome to the Year 12 Maths Study Group:party2:

As maths is the most popular A level subject nationally, we thought that we should have a community for all the year 12s taking maths to get help on any maths problems they have and talk about all things maths! You can ask questions in this thread, or you can post it in the maths forum here.

I'll be adding more resources as time goes on (and more are released for the new spec!) but I'll start off with these:

Specifications

Other resources

This thread is for anything maths, but to start off discussion, try answering some of these questions:

All the usual maths posting guidelines apply (as well as the community guidelines), so please bear this in mind when posting!

inconclusive tag list

Hi I'm on year 10 and studying for My AS exams in 13 days along with doing the Full A Level Next year...

I'm only Doing A Level maths - I will do further in Sixth Form

AQA

AS Maths

Don't do further but if had the choice NOT MECHANICS 😂

I kinda like the stats but I also like the exponential topics

Probably Maths (Pure/Stats)

ANYONE GOT ANY LAST MINUTE ADVICE?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest